• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai says there's no favoritism

D

Deleted member

Kotaku said:
Apparently, some Smash Bros. players out there are frustrated at the strength of characters like Kirby and Pit – both characters from franchises that director Masahiro Sakurai created. Because if Kirby beat you, it’s obviously the creator’s fault.

“With Smash Bros., every now and then someone will vent their misplaced anger towards me.” Sakurai wrote in his latest column in Weekly Famitsu. “They say that I ‘prioritize the strength and playability’ of characters that I’ve created.”

Sakurai took the allegations head on with pure logic. “First off, what merit is there for me to play favorites with characters I worked on?” he wrote. Sakurai went on to note that Pit from Kid Icarus is in fact one of the characters he has trouble using in the game. “To bring up an example, two characters I have trouble with and can’t use very well are Pit and Palutena. Therefore, for me, I feel that ‘Pit and Palutena are weaker than the average character.’ If I were to adjust them to fit myself, they would become even stronger – but as you may notice, I haven’t.”

Sakurai is the one behind the character balance in Smash Bros., but Sakurai revealed that he also has a monitor team that offers a separate perspective on his decisions and that any adjustments that do not fit with their input is not implemented.

Sakurai did admit that while he and his team do their utmost to maintain their game’s balance, they are not perfect and there are numerous factors that can affect how a game will play. This is likely what led to the issues with Little Mac and Diddy Kong – both characters who have subsequently had their stats adjusted to maintain the game’s balance.

One possible reason that players think that Sakurai plays favorites with his characters is the fact that one of Kirby’s special attacks where he transforms into a rock to drop on other players is relatively powerful and easy for beginner players to use. Sakurai does go on to explain that as useful as the attack is, it renders Kirby immobile during transformation and open to attack when transforming back, making it a difficult strategy to use against experienced players.

Sakurai concludes that while it is made for all sorts of players, from novices to veterans, Smash Bros. is essentially balanced so that mid-ranged players can enjoy it. “The game is essentially made as a ‘fun party game.’” Sakurai wrote. Remember: when playing Smash Bros., fun comes first. Masahiro Sakurai likes fun.
Source

EDIT : Full translation of the latest Sakurai's Famitsu column by the Source Gaming team, with courtesy of @PushDustIn :
When it comes to Smash, every once in a while people will wrongly direct their anger towards me. They accuse me of things such as giving preference or strength to the characters that I’ve worked on in the past—in other words, the Kirby and Kid Icarus series characters. Oh my.

However, if I had worked on the Mario series, people would say, “You’re favoring Mario too much,” wouldn’t they? The same would hold true for Fire Emblem, Pokémon or Starfox. The truth is, though, I put a lot of work into all the characters. It’s a mix of labor, love, and fine tuning.

I mean, what could I possibly get out of only buffing the characters I’ve worked on? A sense of self-satisfaction? That’s simply not the case; after all, I’ve worked on all of these characters through Smash.

For example, there are two characters I can’t seem to get the hang of: Pit and Palutena. I personally feel those two are below average in terms of strength. If I further adjusted the game’s balance for myself, I would make them stronger, but that’s not what I’ve done.

And, given that I am still making adjustments little by little, I’d like to take this opportunity to discuss the act of balancing.

Generally speaking, the most important resource for balancing is the report we receive from the playtesting team. While the playtesters don’t ever appear in the spotlight, I’m confident they’re skilled enough to perform quite well in a tournament.

In addition to the playtesters’ daily impressions, the team also considers results from online battles, as well as opinions they find about characters on the Internet. Then, using all of this data, they propose balance adjustments.

Of course, I don’t approve all of their proposals right away. There’s no point in making the game more balanced if it decreases the fun factor. To give an extreme example, I could make all the characters perform similarly to Mario and achieve perfect balance. However, that probably wouldn’t be very fun at all. We work together by making adjustments while trying to preserve the characters’ individuality, then testing out the characters again. I consider all the data the playtesters collect on all the characters and eventually finalize the changes.

In other words, although I am the one making the final decisions, we are all trying to remain objective as possible. If I don’t agree with the playtesters’ opinion, then no adjustments will be made.

The playtesting team is only composed of several people. After all, truly skilled players are hard to come by. Moreover, playtesters have individual playstyles—as well as personal strengths and weaknesses—that will come out during the testing process.

Another problem we have to consider is that battles can take on many formats in Smash. There are moves that are completely useless in a 1v1 battle, but in a four-player free-for-all those moves might prove quite useful. Therefore, if I played only one kind of battle, the game would feel very slanted towards a particular style of play.

Furthermore, if I went with what is fair according to advanced players, the beginners wouldn’t be able to keep up. For example, Kirby’s Stone attack probably won’t hit a player above intermediate skill level, but if I made it more powerful, it would destroy beginners.

At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game. Fundamentally, my goal with Smash has been to create an “enjoyable party game”. If you want to enjoy thrilling tactical gameplay, you might be better suited for other 2D fighting games.

Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill.

Just as surely, people who play the game this way enjoy it from the bottom of their hearts, and make many friends playing this way. Because the game accommodates a wide variety of playstyles, it’s only natural that it captivates so many people in a variety of ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That article annoys me.

Not with the main content, but the Little Mac thing. It assumes Mac had an issue in the first place and compares his issue with that of Diddy Kong's. Diddy went from a brokenly great character to a great character. Mac went from mediocre to crippled post-Jolt Haymaker nerf...

As a Mac main that upsets me.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
That article annoys me.

Not with the main content, but the Little Mac thing. It assumes Mac had an issue in the first place and compares his issue with that of Diddy Kong's. Diddy went from a brokenly great character to a great character. Mac went from mediocre to crippled post-Jolt Haymaker nerf...

But there is used to be a time where little mac was abused on for glory,Sakurai stated that he was one of the worse characters on the game,than people used disbelief,than :4littlemac: was axed for good.

Last edited:

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
“With Smash Bros., every now and then someone will vent their misplaced anger towards me.”
I like how Sakurai seems used to this by now lol

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
That article annoys me.

I agree, everyone was complaining as soon as they got the game and no one let the game be out for at least a month in order to good a good taste of it. Yes, Mac was stupidly nerfed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But there is used to be a time where little mac was abused on for glory,Sakurai stated that he was one of the worse characters on the game,than people used disbelief,than :4littlemac: was axed for good.
That...doesn't change anything I said.

The point is it was still a non-issue, and comparing it to Diddy Kong is asinine at best.

But then again, Kotaku. Can't expect much there.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
The most revealing thing about his statement is that he told us that balance patches are directed towards mid-level play, NOT high-level play. That means there is a huge difference between what can be considered in need of a patch.

Little Mac was clearly patched to make mid-level play more enjoyable. Not only that, but his prowess on Final Destination and Omega stages gives him an inherent advantage on For Glory. In order to make mid-level play on For Glory more enjoyable for the masses, the Mac nerfs are justifiable. Same goes for Yoshi, Diddy, Sheik, etc.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I suppose this confirms that Smash is getting balanced based on For Glory and Final Destination.

Though the Mac nerfs seem odd when it was pointed out that he had the worst win ratio in For Glory. Cross fingers that the Lucas patch will fix that.

:231:

D

Deleted member 269706

Sakurai will never admit his bias. He'll take it to the grave with him. But look at the facts, he gives all of HIS characters (except for Palutena) multiple jumps with great recoveries. Pit (4), Dark Pit (4), Kirby (6), DeDeDe (5), and Meta Knight (6) all get X hops (the number next to their name) + a recovery. The only other character who gets multiple jumps (Jigglypuff) gets 6 jumps, and no recovery. But that's not as bad as what he did to Charizard...Gave him only three jumps (rather small at that) and a pathetic recovery. So he makes DeDeDe heavier (DeDeDe @ 119, Charizard @ 115), get more jumps (DeDeDe @ 5, Charizard @ 3), and a better recovery? Because logic. He made it practically impossible to gimp five out of the six of his characters, due to their flying properties, but screwed over Charizard, another flier.

And I could argue for days about the inclusion of Dark Pit. Hell, if Dark Pit is able to be a fighter, why not Dark Link, or Fierce Diety Link? Why do you bother making a much more unique an stylistic skin for Alph, Wario and Little Mac, but only leave those as alternative skins rather than separate characters? Why give your own character a new slot over everyone else? Wasn't it because Dark Pit wouldn't be canonically correct using the "sacred weapons"? (And then he ended up giving Pit a dark themed skin anyways...) But there's nothing wrong giving Ganondorf a slowed/strengthened version of Falcon's moveset, because that's canonically correct.

And because he hasn't done anything special for Palutena yet, lets just unlock all of her moves from the start. You can struggle to unlock everyone elses, but we'll make it easier for Palutena. (For the sake of this post, I'm going to pretend I don't know about how ridiculous her Smash attacks are). It's just the specific treatment of his characters that annoys me. I feel like so few of the other characters got some sort of "special treatment" in the same way his characters did, but he also disrespected other characters (Charizard and Ganon to name a few), and that really annoys me.

I'll simply end my post with... "All smashers are equal, but some smashers are more equal than others."

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Im shocked Sakurai can't use Pit and Palutena(his new child and waifu), considering Uprising and the fact he's been trying to put Pit in Smash since the beginning.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Sakurai will never admit his bias. He'll take it to the grave with him. But look at the facts, he gives all of HIS characters (except for Palutena) multiple jumps with great recoveries. Pit (4), Dark Pit (4), Kirby (6), DeDeDe (5), and Meta Knight (6) all get X hops (the number next to their name) + a recovery. The only other character who gets multiple jumps (Jigglypuff) gets 6 jumps, and no recovery. But that's not as bad as what he did to Charizard...Gave him only three jumps (rather small at that) and a pathetic recovery. So he makes DeDeDe heavier (DeDeDe @ 119, Charizard @ 115), get more jumps (DeDeDe @ 5, Charizard @ 3), and a better recovery? Because logic. He made it practically impossible to gimp five out of the six of his characters, due to their flying properties, but screwed over Charizard, another flier.

And I could argue for days about the inclusion of Dark Pit. Hell, if Dark Pit is able to be a fighter, why not Dark Link, or Fierce Diety Link? Why do you bother making a much more unique an stylistic skin for Alph, Wario and Little Mac, but only leave those as alternative skins rather than separate characters? Why give your own character a new slot over everyone else? Wasn't it because Dark Pit wouldn't be canonically correct using the "sacred weapons"? (And then he ended up giving Pit a dark themed skin anyways...) But there's nothing wrong giving Ganondorf a slowed/strengthened version of Falcon's moveset, because that's canonically correct.

And because he hasn't done anything special for Palutena yet, lets just unlock all of her moves from the start. You can struggle to unlock everyone elses, but we'll make it easier for Palutena. (For the sake of this post, I'm going to pretend I don't know about how ridiculous her Smash attacks are). It's just the specific treatment of his characters that annoys me. I feel like so few of the other characters got some sort of "special treatment" in the same way his characters did.

I'll simply end my post with... "All smashers are equal, but some smashers are more equal than others."
i only agree with you on the first part, especially on the zard part. rest of your post is silly tho, if you are still mad about dark pit and palutena after the game has been out for half a year, then you're just pointlessly whining

D

Deleted member 269706

i only agree with you on the first part, especially on the zard part. rest of your post is silly tho, if you are still mad about dark pit and palutena after the game has been out for half a year, then you're just pointlessly whining
It's more or less how he respected his characters over others. I really couldn't care less about the custom moves or clones (afterall I hardly use them anyways), but it's highly annoying that he did it exclusively for his characters.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Holy **** the smash 4 playerbase are a bunch of babies.
"Kirby rock too gud, must be sakurai's fault!"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>Nerfs and buffs are based on mid-level play.

:rosalina:Buffs ahoy!:rosalina:
She's one of the best characters already(either 1st or 2nd not sure). If anything, Sakurai should buff Pit by making everymove do 999% and can never get damage, just to make the ones saying the Kid Icarus and Kirby chracters are either to op, or have to much representation(Kid Icarus did deserve it though).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She's one of the best characters already(either 1st or 2nd not sure). If anything, Sakurai should buff Pit by making everymove do 999% and can never get damage, just to make the ones saying the Kid Icarus and Kirby chracters are either to op, or have to much representation(Kid Icarus did deserve it though).
I know she's one of the best (THE best, IMO).

But the key word there is "mid-level play".

Rosalina does **** in anything that isn't high level, as she is the character with the highest skill floor/ceiling. Plus, she never shows up in For Glory. Considering Sakurai's mindset, it's more likely Rosalina would get buffed than nerfed (she doesn't need either though, IMO).

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
The 'Mid-Level' basis on balancing aspects, (*ahem* "balancing") adds up/makes sense now.

But still annoyed with the notion of possible future buffs for already well off characters.

Throw:4ganondorf::4myfriends::4robinm::4marth:a bone or two...

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Anyone who complains about Pit or Kirby hasn't played against a Sheik. At any level.

But really. If he's showing so much favoritism, why no Ado, and why so many Marios, and why buff anyone stronger than Metaknight?

Seriously guys. It's way past time to whine (if indeed there ever was a time to whine). Shuddup and play the game.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Anyone who complains about Pit or Kirby hasn't played against a Sheik. At any level.

But really. If he's showing so much favoritism, why no Ado, and why so many Marios, and why buff anyone stronger than Metaknight?

Seriously guys. It's way past time to whine (if indeed there ever was a time to whine). Shuddup and play the game.
Not really much 'whining' more alike, 'pointing out'
No need for rudeness.

But i see your point. But with me, favoritism' is kinda his right as the director/creator. I could care less either way, especially when i do well against said Sakurai characters.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Kirby's Stone is definetly not bias... Since this attack can suck if your opponent is smart...
I just think the Super Armor on the Arms (from Pit and Dark Pit) it's a bit unnecessary, but the characters itself are pretty balanced.

And because he hasn't done anything special for Palutena yet, lets just unlock all of her moves from the start. You can struggle to unlock everyone elses, but we'll make it easier for Palutena. (For the sake of this post, I'm going to pretend I don't know about how ridiculous her Smash attacks are). It's just the specific treatment of his characters that annoys me. I feel like so few of the other characters got some sort of "special treatment" in the same way his characters did, but he also disrespected other characters (Charizard and Ganon to name a few), and that really annoys me.

I agree about Dark Pit and Palutena. She's treated like a "Goddess", pun intended. Many characters have that potential, I don't understand how Mario can't borrow any power-up via Custom. DP could be a Alt and its attacks could have just cosmetic differences; the Silver Bow could just be a reskined Palutena's Bow and the Electroshock Arm can be resized to work like the Upperdash.
But, the characters have jumps just like in the original games. Pit can fly (although he could lose a jump. The same to Dark Pit), but with limits. Kirby is actually a bit nerfed in the jump height, and Dedede also floats like that! Charizard needs a recovery buff, though. The size of his wings does not match the unfair ammount of jumps.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Not really much 'whining' more alike, 'pointing out'
No need for rudeness.

But i see your point. But with me, favoritism' is kinda his right as the director/creator. I could care less either way, especially when i do well against said Sakurai characters.
I apologize. However, I do perceive far more as whining than as pointing out. Complaints about Pit and Dark Pit's recovery, for instance, just feel wrong when neither of them have half as safe or reliable a recovery as Sheik (for instance). A lot of it just feels to me like people are accusing Sakurai of being "biased" when most of his characters are average at best. Even in mid-tier play. Heck, even at low-tier play I see more success with smash- or bomb-spamming Bowser than from any Kid Icarus character or from Kirby spamming rock. And don't get me started on how utterly bad Dedede's jumps and recovery move are.

I guess I just don't see a reason to point fingers at average characters when there are bigger threats at all skill levels. I agree fully with Sakurai's apparent exasperation at people "misplacing their anger."

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know she's one of the best (THE best, IMO).

But the key word there is "mid-level play".

Rosalina does **** in anything that isn't high level, as she is the character with the highest skill floor/ceiling. Plus, she never shows up in For Glory. Considering Sakurai's mindset, it's more likely Rosalina would get buffed than nerfed (she doesn't need either thoughI, IMO).
I've seen tons of Rosalina mains(all great to) 6 times a week. Plus the fact her and especially Luma have been messed with alot already, so they shouldn't be touched anymore(other characters like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer do though).

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
To bring up an example, two characters I have trouble with and can’t use very well are Pit and Palutena. Therefore, for me, I feel that ‘Pit and Palutena are weaker than the average character.’ If I were to adjust them to fit myself, they would become even stronger – but as you may notice, I haven’t.”
I... really don't like the sound of that. :c

I don't think Palutena's in super-unviable, unplayable, quadruple F- tier like most people (She broke Top 8 at Winter Brawl 9 and GOML 15 and both were customs-off, she can definitely do things), but I still think she could use a little help. All she really needs is an easy kill combo/setup or an easy-to-land move that kills around 100%.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Welp, looks like another Link nerf incoming despite how bad he is already :(.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
The 'Mid-Level' bases on balancing aspects, (*ahem* "balancing") adds up.

But still annoyed with the notion of possible future buffs for already well off characters.

Throw:4ganondorf::4myfriends::4robinm::4marth:a bone or two...
Pls add :4charizard::4bowser::4zelda: to The list.
Also, I cant agree more with you. No more nerfs, only buffs. What is better? Constantly changing The top characters, or add more to The list? I want IceClimbers back. No Wolf pls.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Pls add :4charizard::4bowser::4zelda: to The list.
Also, I cant agree more with you. No more nerfs, only buffs. What is better? Constantly changing The top characters, or add more to The list? I want IceClimbers back. No Wolf pls.
Oh poor Charizard definitely xD Bowser is okay honestly. Hard hitters should be left alone to hard reads and Grapples. (Choke Slam, and Bowser Bomb) But they can still use something more. And I didn't mention Zelda because i was afraid of seeming Bias and or Hypocritical :p

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well, I am a mid-level players, so all I can say is "HA! In your face!"
I'm perfectly fine with this logic.

D

Deleted member 269706

But, the characters have jumps just like in the original games. Pit can fly (although he could lose a jump. The same to Dark Pit), but with limits. Kirby is actually a bit nerfed in the jump height, and Dedede also floats like that! Charizard needs a recovery buff, though. The size of his wings does not match the unfair ammount of jumps.
That's my point though, he kept true to the aspects of the characters in their traditional games, so long as they were his characters. Yes, Pit and Dark Pit can fly in their games, and naturally they should be able to in Smash. So why doesn't Charizard get the same treatment? Afterall, in Pokemon games he can use Fly, he can remain airborne, but in Smash, he gets it so much worse than everyone else. Literally every character that I mentioned in my original post has a better recovery than he does, which really doesn't make much sense to me. (Hope this doesn't sound aggressive or anything)

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Oh poor Charizard definitely xD Bowser is okay honestly. Hard hitters should be left alone to hard reads and Grapples. (Choke Slam, and Bowser Bomb) But they can still use something more. And I didn't mention Zelda because i was afraid of seeming Bias and or Hypocritical :p
Zelda MAIN?
Sorry girl but she NEEDS buffs. Nairo can only do something with her becouse hes Nairo. If u Give him :4miisword: he will win turnaments with him.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Zelda MAIN?
Sorry girl but she NEEDS buffs. Nairo can only do something with her becouse hes Nairo. If u Give him :4miisword: he will win turnaments with him.
Yes sir, i am indeed Zelda has potential! xD

Though I still consider Sheik a Main but i use Zelda much more :p
I think Zelda is pretty great, chilling in mid teir this time around. The best thing that could happen to her is reduced lag on her SH aerials and Specials (Dins fire and Phantom) Man imagine shooting Phantom whether they sheild or not you can follow up grab or Fair?! One can dream. Im okay with her though. But there's always room for improvement.

I haven't seen Nairos Zelda though. I want to have someone to compare to at least he never plays her on stream o_o"

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
We weren't talking about strength Sakurai
Pretty much this. I still think the reasoning for Dark Pit being his own character is ridiculous.

I suppose this confirms that Smash is getting balanced based on For Glory and Final Destination.
I can't even begin to describe how bad a method that is.

Plus the fact her and especially Luma have been messed with alot already, so they shouldn't be touched anymore
Personally, I'd enjoy it if she could no longer have a free immunity to grabs and projectiles 95% of the time. And people seriously complain about Little Mac. Yes I'm butthurt. If I land a grab, I should not be the one getting hit.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Why give your own character a new slot over everyone else? Wasn't it because Dark Pit wouldn't be canonically correct using the "sacred weapons"? (And then he ended up giving Pit a dark themed skin anyways...) But there's nothing wrong giving Ganondorf a slowed/strengthened version of Falcon's moveset, because that's canonically correct.
Alph never flies the Hocotate ship in his game and the Koopalings never use Shadow Mario. That was obvious bias.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai's own crew had ideas for Dark Pit. That's mainly why he got separated(the unique Final Smash was a bonus). The Koopalings don't have enough to be unique from Bowser Jr. nor was adding 7 more Mario characters be in his interest. Alph is simply a costume because the Pikmin are the real stars. They never had a chance of being removed from being alts at that point.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Personally, I'd enjoy it if she could no longer have a free immunity to grabs and projectiles 95% of the time. And people seriously complain about Little Mac. Yes I'm butthurt. If I land a grab, I should not be the one getting hit.
There would've been no point in bringing back Luma's ability to attack during someone's grab if Sakurai took it out again. Dark Pit on the othe hand, is someone who honestly would look wierd with the 3 Sacred Treasures, but could've atleast have a different moveset from Pit(even though he's an actual clone of Pit). I still love playing both Pit's though.

Top Bottom