• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai doesn't care about spoilers...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I know Zelda turning into Sheik in Melee was 3 years after Ocarina of Time came out, but did anyone find it odd that Sakurai completely spoiled the Chaos Kin part of Uprising in her trailer? I know Uprising is a few years old now, but it still seems fresh in my mind. And it's pretty far along into the game. That twist was really fun, and seemed unnecessary to spoil with dialog placed over the visuals. Anyone else feel that same way? Did the Chaos Kin need to be discussed at all?

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Personally I was curious if Palutena was able to fight sans Chaos Kin influence, so I appreciated that part of the trailer.

To be fair, Sakurai hasn't really been the best in regards to spoilers. For example in Brawl he totally spoiled the final boss of Mother 3 (i.e. Porky).

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Kid Icarus Uprising has been around for 2 years now, so I don't think it's as spoiling as it would have been if it was revealed earlier. I don't mind the dialog really since it slightly added to the situation about Pit being surprised about her being able to fight. But maybe that's just me being passive. I'm sorry about those who haven't really played Uprising yet and are not fond of spoilers. :(

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Spoilers are still spoilers regardless of how long it is been since the release of the game. But yeah, the Smash dev team doesn't seem to care about spoiling stuff. Then again, it would be kinda hard, if not impossible, to develop the characters and avoid spoilers at the same time. As for your question, no, I don't think it was necessary to mention the chaos kin thing. Honestly though, a lot of stuff in Palutena's trailer wasn't really necessary.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just like how Samus is totally a chick? You're not serious, right?

Oh wait...

Kinda like how Marth totally doesn't wear a butterfly visor?

OH COME ON!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
"Sakurai doesn't care about spoilers."

You know as a big Mother 3 fan I really doubt that.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Honestly, as long as trophies are a thing, Smash games are near impossible without spoilers. I think at this point Sakurai's just realized that and stopped caring entirely.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I assumed the nod to the Chaos Kin part was aimed directly at the Smash community's speculation regarding her. I saw the Chaos Kin battle mentioned several times whenever Palutena was brought, sighting that "she could use the attacks she used in that battle" for her move-set.

Last edited:

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
I assumed the nod to the Chaos Kin part was aimed directly at the Smash community's speculation regarding her. I saw the Chaos Kin battle mentioned several times whenever Palutena was brought, sighting that "she could use the attacks she used in that battle" for her move-set.
Agreed, that was my first thought.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You know, it's not really much of a significant spoiler. The Chaos Kin part in the story pretty much just came and left, with the only notable thing is your fight vs Palutena.

...Which I actually forgot about until I replayed the game. Yeesh. I was also reminded why the chapter afterwards with the waves of enemies was easily the worst in the game.

That said, I think it's a good thing, because this could mean we might get Hades as a boss or something without Sakurai fearing for spoiling him.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
To be fair, that's not even the biggest spoiler in the game, that and if you've never played Uprising you're not gonna know what the hell a Chaos Kin is.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I didn't think that bit of info was much of a spoiler anyway; it's not brought up very long in-game and you find out pretty quickly that she's being controlled. I think there's a couple of other things from that chapter that were much bigger spoilers

bobadz

Smash Ace
Porky was a much larger spoiler. Hell, the Ultimate Chimera was a spoiler also. It's been obvious since Brawl that Sakurai and co. never cared.

Pro Tip: it's hard to tell through text.
New pork city was also a spoiler.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, the Chaos Kin part is really no big deal in comparison to Porky, his appearance practically spoils the biggest twist in Mother 3. They really should have chosen the Natural Killer Cyborg as a boss instead,

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai has been doing this whole spoiler thing since Melee really....:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:

And with a series like Smash that deals a lot with Nintendo's history and all as well with it's wide array of trophies which all contain various information, I guess that kinda can't be helped.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai has been doing this whole spoiler thing since Melee really....:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:

And with a series like Smash that deals a lot with Nintendo's history and all as well with it's wide array of trophies which all contain various information, I guess that kinda can't be helped.
More like since 64.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I had Majora's Mask spoiled entirely thanks to reading the Trophies in Melee. Smash games have always been full of spoilers.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, if the game has been out for a while then I guess that in a game of such nature as Smash everything goes. People already mentioned Zelda/Sheik; and besides, mentioning Palutena being under the control of the Chaos Kin isn't that much big of a deal, the events about how it all started are far more important.

Edit: People who plan on playing crossover games HAVE to be prepared for spoilers. Just look at Dissidia, from the beggining they spoil the family relationship that Golbez and Cecil share. And that is something that is revealed near the end of FFIV.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
What do you mean? Brawl spoiled Porky and all that stuff.
It did? I haven't played Mother 3, but I had known that Porky was the/a villain of Earthbound/Mother 2, I figured he was just in Smash to be the Mother villain. I didn't know it spoiled Mother 3 specifically.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It did? I haven't played Mother 3, but I had known that Porky was the/a villain of Earthbound/Mother 2, I figured he was just in Smash to be the Mother villain. I didn't know it spoiled Mother 3 specifically.
Well you don't know it's Porky until the last chapter. Though there are obvious clues beforehand.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Hm. maybe. Though sometimes, especially with stages they choose some very early on ones, like the Frigate stage in Brawl was the first level of Metroid Prime.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they do spoil a lot of stuff. Only real nintendo fans would notice and appreciate it, everyone else wouldn't even notice. I actually like that they aren't afraid to spoil stuff, or else Lucina would look like her marth version lol

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Yeah, they do spoil a lot of stuff. Only real nintendo fans would notice and appreciate it, everyone else wouldn't even notice. I actually like that they aren't afraid to spoil stuff, or else Lucina would look like her marth version lol
Which is another thing he spoiled- Lucina completely.

-"For my father!"
-"Mark of Naga..."
-Mask removal intro.
-Her name being "Lucina"

For anyone who wanted her to be surprising at all in Awakening, Smash completely removes that possibility. Although she wasn't super-discrete and some things could be figured out, Smash Bros lays everything out in the open.

Top Bottom