• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai and the competitive scene

nessokman

Smash Lord
The competitive scene is a bit small.not enough to make him make ssb4 competitively based.people get their hopes up, someone was hoping for a "melee" mode.in reality, it won't happen.im hoping it does what brawl did toward casuals. Brawl does take skill, just in different ways

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Brawl is not anymore casual friendly then melee, it just sucks for competition. If you think sakurai doesn't want to put in the work to make smash 4 both deep and accessible then you must not know him too well.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Brawl is not anymore casual friendly then melee, it just sucks for competition. If you think sakurai doesn't want to put in the work to make smash 4 both deep and accessible then you must not know him too well.
Can you really blame us after brawl though?

The way i see it is that Sm4sh will be the middle ground and hope fully the most balanced as far as characters and online goes.

#1 Melee = Super competetive

#2 Brawl = Super Casual/Random

#3 Sm4sh = Middle & Best character balance & Online.

Im perfectly fine with that.

Hopefully im right...

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't classify Melee as "super-competitive" as it doesn't throw a bunch of complex, competition-oriented stuff at the player like a traditional fighting game. The beauty of Melee is that it's only as competitive as you want it to be; casual players can completely ignore the serious aspects of the game and still have a blast, while those looking for something more will find a deep metagame to play around with.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I wouldn't classify Melee as "super-competitive" as it doesn't throw a bunch of complex, competition-oriented stuff at the player like a traditional fighting game. The beauty of Melee is that it's only as competitive as you want it to be; casual players can completely ignore the serious aspects of the game and still have a blast, while those looking for something more will find a deep metagame to play around with.
Exactly pretty much as Win-Win as you can get! Whats wrong with that Sakurai?

Browny

Smash Hater
Does sakurai ever believe in the competitive scene (say ssb)? Because I do think a game have to appeal to everyone right? Well I believe competitive are the most important to attarct (n00b***s/casuals can go **** themselves). Its just that when ssb4 comes out I want see wifi mode have an 1v1 mode where you competitively play someone (with a better network I hope) and items are banned all together and you can only pick neutrals (ex: final destination) and Idk how the (tournament) ruleset would work so I guess it should be 3 stocks and 8 stock time limit. It'll be cool if 1v1 mode also has an score system (like mario kart wii) and have an power ranking list for your area and regional and worldwide (team/basic shouldn't get one cause of the bull**** that happens there). Now if only we can get sakurai take my mario kart D idea.
lol

Sakurai is in the business of making money. Catering to tournament players does not make as much money as catering to casuals.

Nothing else really needs to be said. Its best you learn to deal with it, whatever happens. Because making money is more important than appeasing kids who like to insult other players simply because they dedicate their time to more than one game at a time.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
lol

Sakurai is in the business of making money. Catering to tournament players does not make as much money as catering to casuals.

Nothing else really needs to be said. Its best you learn to deal with it, whatever happens. Because making money is more important than appeasing kids who like to insult other players simply because they dedicate their time to more than one game at a time.
Don't know why brawl being a lame tournament game helps the casuals enjoy it more. They can have their cake and eat it too. Make it enjoyable for all like they did with melee. They don't have to choose to target the bigger audience when it's possible to get everyone to buy it.

Browny

Smash Hater
Believe it or not, a criticism of Melee at the time of its release was that it was too fast. This was before anyone ever dash danced, wavelanded or fast falled anything! The issue was when 4 players mode (ie; the games design intent) became so hectic that it players couldnt control what they were doing, they couldnt react or punish because there were characters flying everywhere and enough hitstun that you often couldnt even do anything when hit and died with no chance to stop it. Im not making this up, it was a criticism of the game. I cbf sourcing it, because thats your problem if you dont believe me, I know I saw it.

Remember everything is focused around 4 player. Brawl is better in 4 player among casuals because with less hitstun and better recoveries and general floatier play, its much easier to avoid the chaos and be more controlled in how your character survives.

So no, if you want your competitive 1vs1, Nintendo doesnt care. 4 player is whats important. Thats what they balance.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I mean really..though...serious..how do you expect how do you EVEN! try to even begin...to balance a fighting game based on 4 player play with random items...

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Im not making this up, it was a criticism of the game.
Actually, yes you are writing quite a bit of revisionist history. Answered this earlier in another thread:

When Melee first came out, the most typical complaint I remember was the game lacked the same "punch" of 64 (which btw Brawl does too). Following that, there were a few reviews that dinged it for feeling overly responsive, largely because the dash was too sensitive and easy to over-correct with. Put that complaint in context however, the n64 control stick was complete garbage. You had to jam on it for the intended results, not unlike a car without power steering. The real difficulty moving to Melee was in fact adjusting to the new less rigid Gamecube stick. Aside from that, the reception was generally positive about the game's accessibility. A few space cadets might have taken issue with it, but they also generally reached a number of other bizarre conclusions, losing their credibility.

Of course competitive difficulty is a whole different story, but that's not really what we are talking about here.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's even easier to find people bashing each another in dull, uninteresting Melee vs. Brawl debates.

It simply amazes me negatively how this thread is still alive, considering how the OP is blatantly trolling.

Top Bottom