• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai again:we increase the number of characters to the limit

Rakath

Smash Ace
If the Limit is 35... I'm worried about the next Street Fighter game, I mean, will it take them 3 disks to have 50 something characters. Cause those Capcom folks are rebels, you set a limit to cast size they go pffft and add another Ken to the game to spite you.

burnthepriest6

Smash Cadet
If the Limit is 35... I'm worried about the next Street Fighter game, I mean, will it take them 3 disks to have 50 something characters. Cause those Capcom folks are rebels, you set a limit to cast size they go pffft and add another Ken to the game to spite you.
Considering the amount of content already packed into the game 35 is a resonable number to be reffered to as "the limit"

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
that's not kind of limit of sakurai is talking about,he said that before,there a lot of characters in this game

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Arcade fighters have all fighters being very similar, so you can't compare a game like Mortal Kombat to Smash Bros.

Sakurai increased the number of characters to the limit, but realised that he could go all the way to 35, despite his planned MASSIVE roster of 30.

So he put in 5 more characters:
Toon Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, & Ness.

Clones lol.

TobiCORE

Smash Rookie
Arcade fighters have all fighters being very similar, so you can't compare a game like Mortal Kombat to Smash Bros.

Sakurai increased the number of characters to the limit, but realised that he could go all the way to 35, despite his planned MASSIVE roster of 30.

So he put in 5 more characters:
Toon Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, & Ness.

Clones lol.

why does everyone think that wolf is in that game. who came up with that? was there sakurai saying: yes there is wolf?

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
'Uahuahuah'? NO IDEA how a weird laugh like that would sound in real life.

Anyhow, the entire comment is subjective. They could've easily put in a 100 characters and mentioned how small the roster was. The comment doesn't have ANY baring on the actual game.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Ok if the supposed clones are in fact clones that sucks. But we still got tons of original new comers like DDD, Snake, Sonic, Pit and so on. And throw in all the new stages. This is a totally upgraded game. Dont be so pissy because the finally delivery didnt meet your expectations.

I keep on saying this, but imagine if Sakurai had given us nothing in advance aside from the returning cast, and then unleashed all the newcomers on us at once with the game's release. Everyone and their grandma would think this was the best roster ever.

And whats with this 35 business? Throw in Zamus, Shiek and the Pokemon, and we get 39 playable characters. Thats more than the first and second game combined.

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
lol huauhahua, i said i don't think the away that he says seems to be 35 chars ***,sorry about my inglish

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
Due to the Char Select Design the total number fo chars has to be equal to 4x - 3 or 4x -2, and 35 dosn't add up to that, its not like the roster will be square

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
why does everyone think that wolf is in that game. who came up with that? was there sakurai saying: yes there is wolf?
Look at the alignment of the characters in the roster. If a character is placed in between Dedede and Lucario, the Pokemon Franchise lines up correctly as well as Bowser with the Mario Franchise, and Sonic lines up with Snake. That spot is underneath Fox and Falco, which means it's 99.9% certain to be a Starfox rep. I believe Wolf was part of the 35 character rumor.

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
That spot could be crystal, who scored higher on the poll, and wouldn't be some clone, were this 35 rumor come from anyway, after seeing the roster it looks pretty decomfermed

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Of course not. If only on PS3, they have Blu-Ray, if also on XBox360, they can just put it on because it has... less... polygons.

Yeah, argumentation sucks.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon had 63 characters to fight with....
That's because it's a ****ty game without the special crap that made the original Mortal Kombat games awesome.

That spot could be crystal, who scored higher on the poll, and wouldn't be some clone, were this 35 rumor come from anyway, after seeing the roster it looks pretty decomfermed
Why put in a female fox who may disturb the hormone balance of pre-teen brats while you can have an easy-to-implement Fox-clone instead?

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice
LOL

35 is a ****load for a game like smash bros

in most fighting games, all the fighters are pretty much the same, they have atleast 1 clone for each fighter, there is like 5 modes... this games gonna own!

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
humm.
hasnt Sakurai said that he was a jockster/prankster?

I would not be surprised if a month after gameplay with the 35 roaster, the profiles sizes started to shring to make way for new people.
then people would start to accuse the prophets, and they would be surprised. "honest, I thought 35 was the final number, that what Sakurai himself told me, that checky *******."

courte

Smash Lord
whoa whoa whoa... wtf>??!

this is a game in it's own official canon; a roster so large is reserved for
a) dying series
b) dream matches

if it were Alpha 4 then no doubt i'd be expecting Ken's extended family and his cousin marvin, but they made clear where and how they're building the roster for SFIV

also i really hope the 35 is not true, not in denial, but i was just hoping the clones would be newcomers...

madleviathan

Smash Apprentice
What about the time based feature in Brawl?
We know it exists, via Smashville, so why can't a new character be released on a certain date?

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Have any of you PLAYED other fighting games? **** that. When Melee came out, we were on Tekken 4. Now we're approaching Tekken 6, and more than 10 unique characters have been added, there aren't any clones left, and they still manage to include kitschy bull**** like image galleries and solo beat-em up modes.

Nintendo hasn't done anything revolutionary here, aside from creating a revolutionary ****ing letdown. Oh, and I'll be ignoring attempts to argue against this, so here's my pre-emptive counter argument: eat my ***.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
whoa whoa whoa... wtf>??!

this is a game in it's own official canon; a roster so large is reserved for
a) dying series
b) dream matches

if it were Alpha 4 then no doubt i'd be expecting Ken's extended family and his cousin marvin, but they made clear where and how they're building the roster for SFIV

also i really hope the 35 is not true, not in denial, but i was just hoping the clones would be newcomers...
King of Fighters says "Hi guys!"

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps, to Sakurai, 35 characters is alot. Apparently each character had "hundreds of attributes" to consider when balancing them out. So maybe 35 characters, not to mention the transformations and ATs, could have been a suffecient pain in the backside to program and balance. Most, of not all of us, are pretty much completely in the dark on the effort that it takes to design and program these characters.

sv3

Smash Apprentice
35 + ZSS + Sheik + 2 more Pokemon = 39.

We have one potential triple clone (though wolf looks a lot different from Fox/Falco). We had the same thing in Melee and no one complained after the game was released.

Top Bottom