• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Safe on shield

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I found a document where I can see the PAC-MAN's safe on shield attacks.

This is the list:

Pacman: Jab 1 and 2 (spaced) -5/-7, Dtilt (spaced) -9, Cross up Dash attack -+0, Nair (spaced) +2/-2, Fair (spaced) -4, Bair (spaced) -8/-9, Up air (spaced) -2, Key (spaced) -9, Hydrant (spaced) -3.

I know how to do :

Cross up Dash attack -+0,
Up air (spaced) -2,
Hydrant (spaced) -3.
Fair (spaced) -4

I don't know:
Jab 1 and 2 (spaced) -5/-7,
Dtilt (spaced) -9,
Nair (spaced) +2/-2, Fair (spaced) -4,
Bair (spaced) -8/-9,

Can anyone show us a vine how ^ can be safe on shield? Nair will be the best because I always get shield grabbed.

Thanks!

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I have my doubts about Fair practically. Fair has a large hurtbox if you don't autocancel it, and its landing lag is surprisingly big. Just because Fair has super-quick IASA doesn't mean its actually safe on block IMO. The only way to really get a Fair off and have the autocancel frames is to do a "rising" Fair. (SH -> Fair immediately -> double jump away. Or maybe SH -> Fair -> Hydrant)

What exactly is a "Crossup Dash Attack", and why would crossing up make it safer? I know that Mario's 6-frame grab can punish us. Surely anybody with a quick up-b can punish the Dash Attack OOS?

Frankly, I don't trust these numbers at all. They don't match my experience.

-------------

I have a nasty habit of mixing up Fair -> land and Fair -> crossup Nair (to punish the baited OOS attack). It kinda works, but isn't as solid of a strategy as I'd like. But that landing animation on Fair is quite killer. Lots of negative frames for sure.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
[QUOTE="dragontamer, post: 21407509, member: 107961"The only way to really get a Fair off and have the autocancel frames is to do a "rising" Fair. (SH -> Fair immediately -> double jump away. Or maybe SH -> Fair -> Hydrant).[/QUOTE]
You ever tried sh fair-dj nair on shield? It's safe and pretty legit.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
You ever tried sh fair-dj nair on shield? It's safe and pretty legit.
If you Nair behind the opponent so that they can't grab you, I'll believe it. Otherwise, I'm fairly certain that Pacman can be grabbed from the landing-lag of Nair, especially because Nair has short-range.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
When people say "cross-up safe on shield" they just mean that you end up being far enough away from the opponent after the shield stun lands that you're out of the range of most grabs and tilts, even if you can't necessarily bring your own shield up yet.

Also I'm pretty sure that when they say dash attack is safe they're not taking into account that you can punish him in-between the chomps.

Will look more at the other's when I can, but I bet a lot of Pacman's aerials are easy safe on shield if you use the water to push you through them (though you should be able to make them safe on shield without water).

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
When people say "cross-up safe on shield" they just mean that you end up being far enough away from the opponent after the shield stun lands that you're out of the range of most grabs and tilts, even if you can't necessarily bring your own shield up yet.
The claim is that Dash-attack is +0 frames, presumably that means "static-difference" of +0 on regular shield.

That's insanely good in this game. If Dash-attack is +0 it means that its safe no matter where you are. Its kind of like a contradiction: why say "Safe on Crossup" when +0 means "literally always safe".

I know that the last hit of Dash-attack is quite safe, but I feel like its closer to -5ish. I think I need trampoline to get out of the counter-attack. I can't say that I've ever tested this in the lab, its more about experience. (I probably should test these things... but you need a good training partner to figure out these details)

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I didn't do the list, I only saw it anywhere and put it here.

This isn't 100% safe on shield, it depends on the character you are playing against.

DA is safe on shield , only F5/F6 grabs can punish us or B OOS.
I do a lot Fair , FF, DJ , NAir. It is safe on shield, they can punish us the landing.

I think some of those options are safe on shield when you hit them from the back and they have to release the shield (+7Frames) to punish us.

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't know:
Jab 1 and 2 (spaced) -5/-7,
Dtilt (spaced) -9,
Nair (spaced) +2/-2, Fair (spaced) -4,
Bair (spaced) -8/-9,

Can anyone show us a vine how ^ can be safe on shield? Nair will be the best because I always get shield grabbed.

Thanks!
Did you get the numbers from this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...WFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/edit#gid=1382071540 ?

You should include context when you post numbers for moves on block. Smash has two on block values that players need to be concerned with, and dropping #s without mentioning the context is misleading.

As for the moves, Jab 1/2 safety depends on the character you're fighting. If you space them both, you're still -5 or -7 if the opponent tries to hit you after dropping shield. Whether they can or can't depends on the character . Mario for example could drop shield and hit Pac-Man with Ftilt, Dtilt, and Dsmash if Pac-Man tries to jab 1 -> shield against him. The same goes for Fair and Bair, it depends on the character. I don't see many characters sans good tether grabs or items OoS punishing pac man for spaced Fair on block though.

For the Dtilt, similar story. It's -9 if they drop shield, and whether or not you can get punished depends on the character. Falcon could probably drop shield -> Ftilt pac man if the latter dtilts his shield. I wouldn't be trying to use Dtilt as a move on block. If you're fighting anyone with a F10 Fsmash, you have to shield immediately after you dtilt them or else pac man gets Fsmashed.

Nair's numbers need context. The strong hit of Nair is +2 on shield drop assuming you land right after striking their shield with it. It's great against characters with bad OoS games. However, since Pac's nair has low range though, most characters will be looking to punish you out of shield. That's when you see it's -5 for OoS responses if you use the strong hit.

Nair is never safe on block if the opponent has an F5 or faster OoS response. If they lack that, the only way it is safe on block is if you are frame perfect with landing after you strike their shield and immediately using trampoline. If you are just a single frame off, you're going to get grabbed every time by F6 grabs. F7 grabs give you a 1 frame window for error, F8 grabs give you a 2 frame window, and so on. You have more room for error the slower the character's grab is.

The claim is that Dash-attack is +0 frames, presumably that means "static-difference" of +0 on regular shield.

That's insanely good in this game. If Dash-attack is +0 it means that its safe no matter where you are. Its kind of like a contradiction: why say "Safe on Crossup" when +0 means "literally always safe".

I know that the last hit of Dash-attack is quite safe, but I feel like its closer to -5ish. I think I need trampoline to get out of the counter-attack. I can't say that I've ever tested this in the lab, its more about experience. (I probably should test these things... but you need a good training partner to figure out these details)
It's +0 on shield drop, but -7 when considering out of shield responses. If it was +0 on out of shield, it'd be amazing.

If you Nair behind the opponent so that they can't grab you, I'll believe it. Otherwise, I'm fairly certain that Pacman can be grabbed from the landing-lag of Nair, especially because Nair has short-range.
If you are frame perfect with hitting their shield, then landing, nair is safe from everything except F5 or faster OoS options.

DA is safe on shield , only F5/F6 grabs can punish us or B OOS.
Dash attack 1 and 2 are not safe against F6 grabs or any F6 or faster OoS options as you said. Pac-Man can be grabbed/hit between the hits. Most of the relevant characters in this game have F6 grabs (Sonic, Sheik, Rosalina, Mario, Diddy, Fox, etc.), so I would not call the move safe on block.

Dash attack 1 and 2 are safe against F7 grabs. Pac-Man will trade with the grab if they try to grab him between hits.

Dash attack 3 is not safe against F7 or faster OoS options. They can grab/hit Pac-Man before trampoline/shield comes out.

DA 3 is safe against F8 or slower OoS options, since trampoline will bail pac man out of grabs, and he can shield any strikes (you're better off mashing trampoline though).

Cross up DA 3 is safe if the opponent doesn't have a F7 or faster OoS option, excluding grabs because pac man is now behind them. ZSS can always boost kick pac man for DA on shield; Marth/Lucina can always dolphin slash him; Diddy can throw a banana at him, etc.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
It's +0 on shield drop, but -7 when considering out of shield responses.
With the minimum time on shield-hold, doing static-differences on anything aside from OOS responses is kinda weird from a terminology perspective. I guess it makes sense though, but in my experience, most punishments out of shield are... erm... OOS options.

Ex: I use Pacman Trampoline to "punish" the landing lag of a lot of opponents, like a poorly spaced Shiekd Fair. ("Punish" in scare-quotes because 7% isn't exactly scary. Its annoying though,and annoying the opponent can get "in" their minds sometimes).

Beyond that, I think that your explanation makes all of the numbers make sense to me now.

If you are frame perfect with hitting their shield, then landing, nair is safe from everything except F5 or faster OoS options.
Hmm, interesting in theory. But "frame-perfect Nair landing" isn't going to be a technique I'll be practicing.

I'm relatively confident in my Fair -> crossup nair. Still, that's a damn good recovery. Landing behind cuts a lot of the opponents options off and won't need to be frame-perfect to be safe. (Mario's USmash is 8-frames IIRC, so that's the biggest threat. 3-frame window to land safely is still gonna take practice though)

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
BSP BSP explained it really well, thanks you.

Yes I get the numbers from that document.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
nononononono
DJ=double jump
fair-double jump and nair as you rise.
I somehow missed the "DJ" in your original post. I can't say I've tried that. I generally think that being "above" the opponent is unsafe in general so I don't like being there too often.

I can't say I've tried "Fair->DJ->Nair". I'll have to give it a shot though before forming an opinion.

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
Yeah imo fair is just like dash attack where the attack itself makes it neutral. What yiu do afterwards is what gets you punished or counters the attempted punish. Fair crossups nair is good imo, you could also try fair crossup uair. And of course fair hydrant.

BSP

Smash Legend
I would say don't Fair into people's shields freely. It's only good on block if you are hitting them as you're landing with the tip of the move, or if you are retreating with it. If you look at zero vs sinji from Collision (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIeAlzUwJGs) you'll see that zero punishes some close range Fairs with NAir OoS. Be careful.

Top Bottom