• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Safe On Mouth? Wario's, Kirby's, and DDD's Neutral B

Aeons_Ahead

Smash Rookie
Hey! It's Æon again, this time with my findings on what's safe and what isn't on Wario's Chomp, Kirby's Inhale, and DDD's inhale. These findings will help you fight against these characters (even if you aren't Mac).

Kirby:
The startup and lag of inhale make it fairly unlikely an opponent will use this move in a fight unless they're camping, but in case they do, here's what I learned. The vacuum on inhale makes it so if you don't start a move far enough away, you will get inhaled during the move. The same applies to DDD. The moves that I found to be safe either hit while Mac is safely outside the vacuum or fast enough to hit while he slide forward.

Here's what I found to be safe:
  • The 1st hit of ftilt (if it lands)
  • The 2nd hit of ftilt
  • Dtilt
  • Utilt when facing away from Kirby
  • Utilt when facing towards Kirby but only at the farthest disjoint
  • Jab is always safe
  • All variants of fsmash are safe if and only if the entire move starts outside the vacuum, including when Mac steps forward
  • The first (front) hit of dsmash when facing Kirby
  • Neutral b is always safe
  • Sideb is safe when activating the attack early
  • Upb is safe due to invincibility frame 1
  • KO Punch is safe only if it starts outside the vacuum
As to moves that are unsafe:
  • Ftilt if the first hit doesn't connect- you will get inhaled
  • Utilt when facing Kirby at most distances
  • All variants of fsmash if any part of the move interacts with the vacuum, including Mac's step forward
  • Usmash is almost always unsafe (there is a very strict timing where it is safe, but do not attempt)
  • Sideb if you use the latest hit
  • Counter is always unsafe
  • KO Punch is it starts while touching the vacuum

King Dedede:
DDD is very similar to Kirby both in mechanics and the fact that it's not too likely to use inhale mid-match unless they're camping. However, DDD's vacuum is longer than Kirby's which allows more time to use moves. This results in more moves being safer.

• The 1st hit of ftilt
  • The 2nd hit of ftilt
  • Dtilt
  • Utilt when facing away from DDD
  • Utilt when facing towards DDD but only at the farthest disjoint
  • Jab is always safe
  • All variants of fsmash are safer due to more time for the moves to activate
  • The first (front) hit of dsmash when facing DDD
  • KO Punch is safe only if it starts outside the vacuum or at the edge of the vacuum
  • Utilt when facing DDD at most distances
  • Usmash is almost always unsafe (there is a very strict timing where it is safe, but do not attempt)
  • KO Punch is relatively more safe but can get stopped if you are too close to DDD

Wario:
Chomp is unique from the other two moves in that it has no vacuum, so this leaves a little more freedom in your move. The problem is that this move is much more useful mid-match as it can be activated much more quickly. To test what's safe on this move, I had Mac use his moves at a very close distance and a mid-distance.

• The 1st hit of ftilt
  • The 2nd hit of ftilt
  • Dtilt (mid-distance)
  • Utilt (mid-distance)
  • Jab is always safe
  • All variants of fsmash are safe if used as disjoints. If Mac steps forward and enters the Chomp zone, it becomes unsafe
  • The first (front) hit of dsmash when facing Wario
  • Usmash is safe
  • Ftilt (close-distance)
  • Utilt (close-distance)
  • Dtilt (close-distance)
  • 2nd hit of dsmash when facing away from Wario due to Mac's lean backwards
  • All variants of fsmash if Mac step's forward into Chomp
  • KO Punch is always unsafe

Conclusion:
The thing to learn from this is always use the disjointed parts of attacks when fighting these characters. Easy disjoints like his tilts and the very end of his smash attacks are what you should focus on. Mac shifts his hurtbox when using many of his moves so you want to keep enough distance so that does not become an issue. KO Punch can be used with the right spacing between DDD and Kirby but never against Wario when he is using Chomp. If this scenario happens, wait for the lag as the moves finishes.

Extra bits:
Just for fun, I tested the three neutral b moves against each other.
  • Kirby's vacuum beats out DDD
  • Wario's bite beats out DDD
  • Kirby's vacuum beats out Wario's bite
DDD gets rekt.

Contrast_94

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the info. I would walk up slowly and f-tilt or hold jab to deal with Dededees that abused inhale.

PigPen910

Smash Rookie
NNID
PigPen910
3DS FC
5344-1886-2173
Thanks so much, this makes the matchups so much easier to deal with, despite the fact that I hate fighting Wario in the first place.

Top Bottom