• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's second dash?

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
I just realized while making this that this could be something that all characters have and I'm about to make a major fool out of myself, but whatever: I'm in class right now and can't test this.

I honestly can't believe I've noticed this before, but I need some sort of confirmation/information the following. I cannot have been the first person to notice this, so please jump in if you have.
Straight to the point: Ryu has a second dash. It can be performed by double tapping either left or right as you would cancel a focus attack, perhaps a little faster. If you perform this correctly, Ryu will do a long dash with an odd skidding-stop sound at the end. This dash is longer than Ryu's regular dash, and about as fast(? may just be being bad at timing in my head) It can traverse town and city in about four strides. Am I an idiot? Is this something every character has? Does the skid stop make this not useful?

Someone help me out with this.

Last edited:

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
I just realized while making this that this could be something that all characters have and I'm about to make a major fool out of myself, but whatever: I'm in class right now and can't test this.

I honestly can't believe I've noticed this before, but I need some sort of confirmation/information the following. I cannot have been the first person to notice this, so please jump in if you have.
Straight to the point: Ryu has a second dash. It can be performed by double tapping either left or right as you would cancel a focus attack, perhaps a little faster. If you perform this correctly, Ryu will do a long dash with an odd skidding-stop sound at the end. This dash is longer than Ryu's regular dash, and about as fast(? may just be being bad at timing in my head) It can traverse town and city in about four strides. Am I an idiot? Is this something every character has? Does the skid stop make this not useful?

Someone help me out with this.
Testing this out now. The double dash is definitely way different than the fox trot. Moves come out faster after the double dash. Shoryuken in particular comes out fast and easy whereas out of a foxtrot it's easy to dash attack instead. This double dash seems to have more of an instant momentum cancel at the end of the dash animation.

Tested with Mario and Falcon and they have the same double dash technique so it must be just a universal mechanic. I can't imagine it's something new but it seems like it definitely has varying degrees of usefulness, depending on the character.

Actually it seems like to get this animation consistently you want to dash again right near the end of the foxtrot animation rather than double tapping dash like a FADC. Doing so causes the skidding animation which stops the characters momentum.

Last edited:

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
Testing this out now. The double dash is definitely way different than the fox trot. Moves come out faster after the double dash. Shoryuken in particular comes out fast and easy whereas out of a foxtrot it's easy to dash attack instead. This double dash seems to have more of an instant momentum cancel at the end of the dash animation.

Tested with Mario and Falcon and they have the same double dash technique so it must be just a universal mechanic. I can't imagine it's something new but it seems like it definitely has varying degrees of usefulness, depending on the character.

Actually it seems like to get this animation consistently you want to dash again right near the end of the foxtrot animation rather than double tapping dash like a FADC. Doing so causes the skidding animation which stops the characters momentum.
This is really weird, and certainly very useful for Ryu. Any option that leads into TSRK is in my book. And I echo the same sentiment: certainly this can't be new. However, where is any information on this tech?

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Still not as reliable or safe of an option as linking a tilt to shoryuken. But, the one decent use case I've found for this is doing a single jab afterwards. Normally if you try to input a jab immediately out of a foxtrot, you get a dash attack. With this skidded foxtrot, jab comes out much more immediately. So, you can use this to foxtrot to where your opponent is, land an immediate jab and then shoryuken. Still requires a read as doing this raw is unsafe, but if you can predict where your opponent is going to be, you can use this to quickly meet them there with a jab. Always nice to have another option in your belt.

Top Bottom