• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu Moveset Analysis

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Funny when you consider how he's one of the least technical in his source material.

Also his ground moves are really confusing me now. I swear he has to many even with Held/Tapped inputs. I wish one of the people who recorded gameplay did it in a structured manner rather than running around and doing Hadoken and Tatsu every 10 seconds.
Yeah, extremely frustrating how every time there's a leak of this caliber the person behind the reins has no idea what they're doing

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Funny when you consider how he's one of the least technical in his source material.

Also his ground moves are really confusing me now. I swear he has to many even with Held/Tapped inputs. I wish one of the people who recorded gameplay did it in a structured manner rather than running around and doing Hadoken and Tatsu every 10 seconds.
True enough. Ryu was the general well rounded / beginner friendly character in almost every iteration of SF.

The streamers showing him off today sadly didn't give us all the information we were hoping for.

All of us just can't wait to get to try things out for ourselves, that's for sure.

Last edited:

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
I've been playing him all night, and his moveset is surprisingly hard to get used to. There is a lot of potential, though. Fair is an insane move, does 15% fresh and kills. Think it's a sex kick too.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Shifting your mindset between SF and Sm4sh will be the hard point about Ryu. He plays like hes still in SF but has Sm4sh mechanics, so it feels reaally reeeeaaaaallllly weird but fun nontheless.

Also i love fakeouts with focusing punch (downb). Doubletap left or right and it cancels and sidesteps even in the air, gotten so many kills because they went for a grab and i wasnt there lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Is it me, or does Ryu have a hard time killing people? I played a couple games with an awesome Ryu with Lucas and Roy, but he could never ko me until I was over 182%.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Is it me, or does Ryu have a hard time killing people? I played a couple games with an awesome Ryu with Lucas and Roy, but he could never ko me until I was over 182%.
Shoryuken can kill at 100%, I even got with from his M.dtilt < Shoryu at around 95 ish.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shoryuken can kill at 100%, I even got with from his M.dtilt < Shoryu at around 95 ish.
Shoryuken with or without input commands? Because he used both with every move and I still wouldn't die. He's still possibly high/top teir though.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
i just did a 51 combo after d throw and nothing but u tilts

please tell me this is DI-able

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
So I have a theory.

As of right now, I don't have the reflexes necessary to pull it off, but I think it's possible that Ryu's fully-charged Focus Attack can chain into itself indefinitely. It certainly can against CPUs, but I don't know if human players can escape it or not.

See, cancelling lag after the attack connects by going backward makes it so you can attack a couple frames faster than if you cancel it forward. This also creates some distance between you and your opponent, but if you use it next to a ledge, Ryu can't move any further back, so you keep the same exact distance between you and your opponent. Against CPUs, you can certainly continue this indefinitely because they naturally get up slowly. However, I can only manage it in Training Mode 1/2-1/4 speed, so I can't test it against humans since I don't have anyone to do Special Smash with IRL, and you can't do Special Smash online.

Would anyone who does have the skill and/or RL acquaintances to experiment with it be willing to? This could mean a ton for the character.

tdksparda

Smash Rookie
If this is right than perhaps we're both right @ PokemonyeWest PokemonyeWest since than the angle of the jump would affect the attack (and given how the tilts operate that's not a huge stretch). I imagine the 5 aerials are static though

Nair- D j.MK
Fair- D j.HP
Bair- N j.HK
Uair- D j.MP
Dair- Akuma/Evil Ryu D j.MK+Down (I could only ever spot this move once, and it never seemed to actually dive though. The animation looked just like this though)

Dash Attack also seems borrowed from E.Ryu as well, being his Forward MK.
Nair is neutral jump Light punch, Fair is forward jump Medium Kick, Dair is his Medium punch+Medium kick move from street fighter 3

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Ryu is definitely shaping up to be a very technical, combo-heavy character who may end up high tier. Also, I believe that he has a decent recovery if not outright good options. All Hadoken variations stall Ryu in midair, Tatsumaki gives lift if used after a jump while giving unaltered horizontal movement, Shoryuken can hit underneath certain stages and the input makes it invincible during start-up while making kills 22% earlier (a clean hitting Shoryuken on the ground with inputs and no rage kills Bowser at about 91% with no/poor DI by the way), and Focus Attack can be dash canceled in either direction even while airborne and retains the super armor for one-hit.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Did someone save the wordpress-document that was going arround pre-patch? It got taken down, and I wanted to take a look at all the inputs they had there, because I believe they were more than the ones we currently have, so i wanted to check if they just listed the simplified inputs aswell, or if they listed fake ones.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Is there any reason to NOT use input specials outside of the ability to b reverse with the tap and hold variations?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Is there any reason to NOT use input specials outside of the ability to b reverse with the tap and hold variations?
Well , other than that you could **** it up, or might take a little longer if you aren't used to it... I don't think so. Maybe if you want to use them to recover the input might cause you to fast-fall when using input-hurricane kick.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Shoryuken with or without input commands? Because he used both with every move and I still wouldn't die. He's still possibly high/top teir though.
I'm pretty sure it was with, but I tried it again yesterday with both and it didn't kill then, probably my imagination.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm pretty sure it was with, but I tried it again yesterday with both and it didn't kill then, probably my imagination.
LacK of kill loves is the only thing disappointing about Ryu so far, fortunately he's still a combo master. Though, he could hopefully kill Jigglypuff early, gonna have to see who can get ko'd quicker by Ryu.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So, I've found that to do that EX Tatsumaki, you have to do each input individually. If you just roll the analog stick, you're going to do an EX Hadouken. I still can't get the EX Shoryuken yet.
You're wrong. You can roll it just fine, you just have to take the direction you are facing into consideration. and you have to press A together with the last input.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
You're wrong. You can roll it just fine, you just have to take the direction you are facing into consideration. and you have to press A together with the last input.
Yeah, I figured out the Tatsumaki EX now, and rescind my previous analysis. I've got the Hadouken EX/Shakunetsu and Tatsumaki EX down just fine. Now I just have to figure out the Shoryuken EX.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Yeah, I figured out the Tatsumaki EX now, and rescind my previous analysis. I've got the Hadouken EX/Shakunetsu and Tatsumaki EX down just fine. Now I just have to figure out the Shoryuken EX.
A tip for that one : You can use the simplified inputs from SF, too (well, at least i get Ryu to perform DP that way), so :GCDR::GCDR::GCA: and :GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: work, too. (First for the first one you need to tap obv., the second one should work with rolling the stick).

Original discovery here : http://smashboards.com/threads/ryus-specials-can-also-be-done-with-simplified-sf4-inputs.406212/

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
So, I've found some interesting news, and tech options for Ryu: His short hop down air is surprisingly viable. At low percent, there's not much to differentiate it from him dthrow, but dthow quickly gains enough knockback at mid percent to launch opponents high up. On the stage however, a short hop dair just barely launches, leaving a perfect follow up for a satisfying usmash on heavy opponents like Bowser, DDD, and Ganon. For lighter characters, like Jiggs, G&W, and Kirby, high percents (110+) can combo short hop dair into short hop uair, for a practically guaranteed KO. On heavy characters, short hop dair can also combo into the weak utilt for multiple hits into the strong utilt, but I'm not sure of a scenario where this would be better than an uncharged usmash. I think we need to do a lot of experimenting with Ryu's short hop dair just to see what you can really string together with it. Some characters, both heavy and light, can be strung into a short hop dair > usmash > uair. You can also string short hop dair > usmash > fair, if you trust your timing to get the sweetspot on the fair, thus landing a KO. dair > uair may be a safer option though.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Ryu certainly has absolutely no problem killing.

Come on, H.jab kills at like 150 for pete's sake.

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
Ryu certainly has absolutely no problem killing.

Come on, H.jab kills at like 150 for pete's sake.
Yea Ryu has plenty of options for offing his opponents, especially when you do the original street fighter inputs.
This is pretty much the same situation when smash came out and most people didn't know what their killing options were since the game was different.

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i keep having people hit me during my shoryuken while recovering, i thought it was supposed to be invincible? is it only the input shoryuken that is?

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
i keep having people hit me during my shoryuken while recovering, i thought it was supposed to be invincible? is it only the input shoryuken that is?
Only the input shoryuken is invincible.

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
Hey, I don't know if this was already posted, I saw some, but not all, so here's a list of Ryu's moves and their SF4 equivalent:(Light means tap, Hard means hold) (unless noted, all moves are standing far)

L: Light, M: Medium, H:Hard
P: Punch, K: Kick

Light Jab: LP
Second Jab (after light jab): Close MP
Third Jab: HP
Heavy Jab: HK (not sure about this one)

Light F-Tilt: MK
Heavy F-Tilt: -> + MP
Light U-Tilt: Close LP
Heavy U-Tilt: Close HP
Light D-Tilt: Crouch LK
Heavy D-Tilt: Crouch MK

F-Smash: Half-Circle Forward + K (SF3)
U-Smash: Crouch HP
D-Smash: Crouch HK

N-Air: Diagonal Jump LP (not sure)
F-Air: Diagonal Jump HK
B-Air: Jump HK
U-Air: Diagonal Jump MP
D-Air: idk

Neutral-B (Quarter-Circle Forward + A/B): Hadouken (Quarter-Circle Forward + P)
Side-B (Quarter-Circle Back + A/B): Tatsu (Quarter-Circle Back + K)
Up-B (Forward->Down->Down-Forward + A/B): Shoryuken (Forward->Down->Down-Forward + P)
Down-B: Focus Attack (MP + MK)
(Half-Circle Forward + A/B): Shakunetsu Hadoken (Half-Circle Forward + P) (SF2) (Similar to EX Hadouken in SF4 (Hadouken motion + 2 punch buttons))

Grab: LP+LK
F-Throw: Forward after grab
B-Throw: Back after grab
U-Throw: Close HK (only the animation)
D-Throw: idk
Pummel: Close MK

Edit:
Not tested, but I believe that simple motion specials (b, f-b, u-b, d-b) are equivalent to the light version of SF specials, while motion tap would be medium version and motion hold would be hard version.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
So no one seems to have done this yet (correct me if i'm wrong) but all of his specials become stronger if you hold the special button (or attack button, if you're doing the special input), kind of the same way his other moves work.
Here is a list of the dmg all of his specials do, the left number is a tap, the right number is held as long as possible.

Hadouken: 5-6% (holding increases range + speed)

EX-Hadouken: 6-8% (only counting the last hit) (holding increases range + speed)

Fire ball: Damage seems the same, but holding increases range + speed. Maybe it lets you get more hits?

Shoryuken: 13-15% (holding increases height)

EX-Shoryuken: 16-18% and i think a bit higher (holding increases height)

Tatsumaki: damage depends on when you hit. Holding makes the move last longer:
Closest range: 8%.
Furthest range by tapping (just under a dodge roll away): 9%.
Furthest range by holding (just over 2 dodge rolls away): 12%

EX-Tatsumaki: Same concept:
Closest range: 9%
Furthest range by tapping (just under a dodge roll away): 10%.
Furthest range by holding (just over 2 dodge rolls away): 13%

Focus Attack (this one's obvious): 12% - 10% (and stuns) - 17% (and stuns)
The distance of the attack doesn't change its properties, and neither does turning it around.

bskhacker

Smash Rookie
NNID
BsKHacker
3DS FC
5455-9900-2629
Hey, I don't know if this was already posted, I saw some, but not all, so here's a list of Ryu's moves and their SF4 equivalent:(Light means tap, Hard means hold) (unless noted, all moves are standing far)

L: Light, M: Medium, H:Hard
P: Punch, K: Kick

Light Jab: LP
Second Jab (after light jab): Close MP
Third Jab: HP
Heavy Jab: HK (not sure about this one)

Light F-Tilt: MK
Heavy F-Tilt: -> + MP
Light U-Tilt: Close LP
Heavy U-Tilt: Close HP
Light D-Tilt: Crouch LK
Heavy D-Tilt: Crouch MK

F-Smash: Half-Circle Forward + K (SF3)
U-Smash: Crouch HP
D-Smash: Crouch HK

N-Air: Diagonal Jump LP (not sure)
F-Air: Diagonal Jump HK
B-Air: Jump HK
U-Air: Diagonal Jump MP
D-Air: idk

Neutral-B (Quarter-Circle Forward + A/B): Hadouken (Quarter-Circle Forward + P)
Side-B (Quarter-Circle Back + A/B): Tatsu (Quarter-Circle Back + K)
Up-B (Forward->Down->Down-Forward + A/B): Shoryuken (Forward->Down->Down-Forward + P)
Down-B: Focus Attack (MP + MK)
(Half-Circle Forward + A/B): Shakunetsu Hadoken (Half-Circle Forward + P) (SF2) (Similar to EX Hadouken in SF4 (Hadouken motion + 2 punch buttons))

Grab: LP+LK
F-Throw: Forward after grab
B-Throw: Back after grab
U-Throw: Close HK (only the animation)
D-Throw: idk
Pummel: Close MK

Edit:
Not tested, but I believe that simple motion specials (b, f-b, u-b, d-b) are equivalent to the light version of SF specials, while motion tap would be medium version and motion hold would be hard version.

This cleared some confusion I had thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom