• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu Input Frustration

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So I really love all they have done for this character, but I have a few issues. Firstly its a little annoying when trying to perform tilts and aerials and to instead get special moves because I did the classic input. I know I just have to let the stick fall to neutral but its kinda annoying. What my true issue is, is Ryu's light punch and light kick. No matter how quickly I tap the A button he always does the heavy version when an enemy is near, cant really perform too many combos with just heavy's T.T

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
So I really love all they have done for this character, but I have a few issues. Firstly its a little annoying when trying to perform tilts and aerials and to instead get special moves because I did the classic input. I know I just have to let the stick fall to neutral but its kinda annoying. What my true issue is, is Ryu's light punch and light kick. No matter how quickly I tap the A button he always does the heavy version when an enemy is near, cant really perform too many combos with just heavy's T.T
maybe you're pressing the button to hard?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
anyone got any tips for his input shoryuken? i have no problem doing these when im actually playing street fighter on an arcade stick as i play the game often, but in smash it feels a bit weird to me on a controller and the fact that ryu moves around so much more in this game than he does in sf.

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
anyone got any tips for his input shoryuken? i have no problem doing these when im actually playing street fighter on an arcade stick as i play the game often, but in smash it feels a bit weird to me on a controller and the fact that ryu moves around so much more in this game than he does in sf.
Just hold forward, and do the hadouken input. That usually works. Otherwise you can try one of the shortcuts (e.g. Down-Forward, Down, Down-Forward)

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
Yeah what Confuzzled said. He plays a lot like his SF incarination, so all his buffer stuff works. You can do an instant d.tilt xx hadoken using buffering and negative edge, etc.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I hear you, I think the inputs are not "hard" but they definitely doesn't come out right. When I try the Fire Hadouken the Spin-Kick comes out instead. I dunno, it seems a bit weird to me.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I generally do :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR: for the Shoryuken input and I never have problems doing.

The SF motions are easy tbh and I generally don't have to worry about messing them up with his regular attacks.

I will admit that I find the whole tap/hold thing to be a bit unintuitive but that is about yet and is just a matter of getting used to.

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
To do the inputs you have to be facing the way you want to do them in, you can't B-turnaround manual inputs. Tatsu is 214 (qcb) and Hadoken is 236 (qcf), when facing right, so trying to do a reverse Hadoken will give you a Tatsu. And issues with EX Hadoken probably spawn from not doing it fast enough, you have to do 41236 (hcf), when facing right, so if you do it too slowly you'll turn around and do a Tatsu input. So a way to make it less likely to turnaround and Tatsu is to do 1236, facing right, instead. You'll be pressing back for a shorter time so you're less likely to stay turned around.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Never try to do the Red Hadoken in the opposite direction Ryu is facing, because Tatsumaki will come out instead.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
If you're having trouble doing the soft or hard variants of attacks, try double tapping the button if you want to do the soft attack, that always seems to do the trick for me. The second tap is usually ignored, but the point is to make sure your first input is short enough to make sure it's the fast variant. I find myself usually tensing up and holding the button too long out of excitement if I don't tap it twice, ending in me doing the wrong move.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
After you input the command you literally have a full second to press :GCA:

This is noticeable when inputting the stronger Hado and True SRK. Sakurai is spoon feeding us.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps it's because I've never played a Street Fighters game, but I don't understand at all what i'm supposed to do for input based specials. Can someone please explain me how to do them like I was a 6 year-old?

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
Perhaps it's because I've never played a Street Fighters game, but I don't understand at all what i'm supposed to do for input based specials. Can someone please explain me how to do them like I was a 6 year-old?
Okay, I'm gonna explain this using the numpad of your keyboard. All of this is assuming Ryu is facing right, so mirror the inputs if facing left. So 236 when facing right would be 214 when facing left.

(Blue) Hadoken: 236+A, otherwise known as quarter-circle forward (qcf for short). No real way to shortcut it, and you can't do it out of a walk/run.
(Red) EX Hadoken: 41236+A, otherwise known as half-circle forward (hcf for short). A shortcut for it is 1236+A, you're less likely to do a backwards Tatsu.
(Uppercut) Shoryuken: 623+A, otherwise known as a DP (means dragon punch). A popular way of doing it would be 6236A, aka inputting forward then doing a qcf. It's easier than trying to do the Z motion that 623 is.
(Spin Kick) Tatsu: 214+A, otherwise known as quarter-circle back (qcb for short). Just a backwards fireball motion, you can do this out of a walk/run since there's no other input it could buffer.

Last edited:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
I was gonna make a post very similar to this one. I also find it extremely frustrating that you can do his unique specials with the A button. It causes unintentional moves when trying to space aerials as well has when you are recovering from off stage and try to use aerials. I think his unique specials should only come from the B-button they should just remove them from the A-button imo.
This would solve the problem and still allow you to perform his unique moves, without causing unintended SD's.

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
I was gonna make a post very similar to this one. I also find it extremely frustrating that you can do his unique specials with the A button. It causes unintentional moves when trying to space aerials as well has when you are recovering from off stage and try to use aerials. I think his unique specials should only come from the B-button they should just remove them from the A-button imo.
This would solve the problem and still allow you to perform his unique moves, without causing unintended SD's.
You should get used to using the C-Stick for aerials, it helps a lot with positioning. Left thumb controls movement, right thumb controls which attack you use. Because of what I said I haven't had any issues using Ryu, and almost nothing about the way he buffers his attacks is different from his USF4 incarnation, which was what they were aiming for; i.e. walk forward + quarter circle is his uppercut, same as in USF4. Ryu is a relatively easy to use but incredibly hard to master, just like in Street Fighter.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Like @ leesinger leesinger said, if we could use footsies with A, and do the commands for specials with B, it would be just too good.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
So once again, why not have an option to turn off the A-button stuff and only have the B-button do anything. Its literally the only change I would want.

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
Like @ leesinger leesinger said, if we could use footsies with A, and do the commands for specials with B, it would be just too good.
Unless I'm missing something, you can do what's intended. What kind of footsies are you referring to exactly? Because you gotta remember they ported him over to play him like how you would in Street Fighter and less so Smash. So things like d.tilt xx Hadoken are really important to him.

So once again, why not have an option to turn off the A-button stuff and only have the B-button do anything. Its literally the only change I would want.
I don't understand why you would need that. What are you trying to do and what are you getting? I haven't had any random specials come out, if anything I've had more random up smashes come out from my manual inputs that anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Unless I'm missing something, you can do what's intended. What kind of footsies are you referring to exactly? Because you gotta remember they ported him over to play him like how you would in Street Fighter and less so Smash. So things like d.tilt xx Hadoken are really important to him.
He means footsies like moving around quickly on the ground to confuse opponents, perfect pivoting, just generally doing alot of user input, that you can do with ever other charachter besides ryu because of how he interacts with the joystick and A-button. In high level matches these footsies can give you the edge over your opponent by making them confuses as to how you are going to approach them. Currently Ryu is incapable of doing them because of the aforementioned problem.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Nevermind, I'm still kinda confused on how to work Ryu properly in Smash. Been playing SF for years now, and the way he plays is kinda different.

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
He designed around playing similarly to Street Fighter so play him like that, cancel your normals in specials, zone with hadoken, dp on wakeup, etc. His perfect pivot is kinda meh anyway, and he has the ability to FADC which I think is better than his short perfect pivot anyway, goes farther and has armor on it.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Ok guys I figured a few things out. You can set the c stick for tilts and it will always give you the light attack. Sadly it does not come out as fast though, so you can only perform two hit combos reliably. Also the inputs are coming out strangely because I just realized one major difference between this game and Street Fighter. In Street fighter your character is always facing toward when in neutral, so your fire ball and spin kick generally don't get mixed up. In Smash that does not happen, so you have to pay attention to the direction Ryu is facing, not the opponent.

PS you can dash cancel his focus attack :p

Locke17

Smash Rookie
Ok guys I figured a few things out. You can set the c stick for tilts and it will always give you the light attack. Sadly it does not come out as fast though, so you can only perform two hit combos reliably. Also the inputs are coming out strangely because I just realized one major difference between this game and Street Fighter. In Street fighter your character is always facing toward when in neutral, so your fire ball and spin kick generally don't get mixed up. In Smash that does not happen, so you have to pay attention to the direction Ryu is facing, not the opponent.

PS you can dash cancel his focus attack :p
I was having this problem too, also the timing with combos throws me off, because I am so used to how quickly you have to input in SF unlike this game where you have a more noticeable amount of time to cancel into special moves.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
It's ok bro. Someone might have missed, and it was a nice catch for others to read it here.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
If you're having trouble doing the soft or hard variants of attacks, try double tapping the button if you want to do the soft attack, that always seems to do the trick for me. The second tap is usually ignored, but the point is to make sure your first input is short enough to make sure it's the fast variant. I find myself usually tensing up and holding the button too long out of excitement if I don't tap it twice, ending in me doing the wrong move.
This works for me too

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm gonna explain this using the numpad of your keyboard. All of this is assuming Ryu is facing right, so mirror the inputs if facing left. So 236 when facing right would be 214 when facing left.

(Blue) Hadoken: 236+A, otherwise known as quarter-circle forward (qcf for short). No real way to shortcut it, and you can't do it out of a walk/run.
(Red) EX Hadoken: 41236+A, otherwise known as half-circle forward (hcf for short). A shortcut for it is 1236+A, you're less likely to do a backwards Tatsu.
(Uppercut) Shoryuken: 623+A, otherwise known as a DP (means dragon punch). A popular way of doing it would be 6236A, aka inputting forward then doing a qcf. It's easier than trying to do the Z motion that 623 is.
(Spin Kick) Tatsu: 214+A, otherwise known as quarter-circle back (qcb for short). Just a backwards fireball motion, you can do this out of a walk/run since there's no other input it could buffer.
For those who don't get the keyboard analogy still try looking at this instead;

(Blue) Hadoken: :GCD::GCDR::GCR: (Down, down-forward, forward) + :GCB:or:GCA:
(Red) EX Hadoken: :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: + :GCB:or:GCA:(Back, down-back, down, down forward, forward) alternatively you ca do :GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: instead.
(Uppercut) Shoryuken: :GCR::GCD::GCDR: + :GCB:or:GCA: (forward, down, down-forward) alternatively you can do as Hydra suggested which is :GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCR: or what I said I did above :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR: (it seems like more but to me it makes the motion more fluid)
(Spin Kick) Tatsu: :GCD::GCDL::GCL:+:GCB:or:GCA:(down, down-back, back)

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
anyone notice a bit of extra movement in this game? like when i input motion for shoryuken i can do it, but he runs forward so much when i hit forward. After sometime im training mode i found out i just gotta increase my speed when doing the motions but same thing happens when i do the half circle ex hadoken, he sometimes quickly turns or runs back a little b4 the hadoken comes out. any tips for that? or do you just gotta buffer/input faster?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
To do the inputs you have to be facing the way you want to do them in, you can't B-turnaround manual inputs. Tatsu is 214 (qcb) and Hadoken is 236 (qcf), when facing right, so trying to do a reverse Hadoken will give you a Tatsu. And issues with EX Hadoken probably spawn from not doing it fast enough, you have to do 41236 (hcf), when facing right, so if you do it too slowly you'll turn around and do a Tatsu input. So a way to make it less likely to turnaround and Tatsu is to do 1236, facing right, instead. You'll be pressing back for a shorter time so you're less likely to stay turned around.
Actually, I've been able to b reverse all of his manual inputs but his tatsumaki. It's difficult though (especially shakunetsu). I advise you try it on 1/4 speed to get the hang of it. Just do the special directional inputs, press b/press a/release a, then IMMEDIATELY put the directional input facing backwards. This should give you the b reversed version.
EDIT: to make shakunetsu easier, you can just do HC back down forward, b, HC forward up back. Basically a full circle but press b when the direction is forward.
EDIT: I've done shakunetsu where I started to run backwards by mistake but still pulled off the shakunetsu. The timing seems fairly lenient.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Do you have to go nack to neutral after all direction or you can just slide the controller ?

like hakoden : down -neutral down-foward neutral than foward or just make a half-circle to the right ?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Do you have to go nack to neutral after all direction or you can just slide the controller ?

like hakoden : down -neutral down-foward neutral than foward or just make a half-circle to the right ?
You DO NOT have to reset back to neutral. So yes you can just the control stick to do the inputs.

So in the case of a Fireball (Hadoken) you just make quarter circle motion starting from down to the way you are facing.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
So is it just me, or is it really awkward trying to do the shoryuken input on a 3ds thumbstick? Inputting hadouken, shakunetsu, and tatsumaki are simple enough, but it's that shoryuken that gets me. I'd imagine it's far easier on a pro controller/gamecube controller, where you have an actual stick to work with, but on 3ds it's kind of a nightmare. I keep getting other moves like dash or tilt instead.

I'm no SF noob, either. I played a ton of SF4 before finally walking away (300 hours in, it was just not worth the frustration, but casual play is still fun). I know how to do the motion, but that was on an xbox 360 fightpad (d-pad).

If anyone still plays on 3DS, what are your thoughts? Any tips on how to perform it easier?

Hydrargyrum

Smash Rookie
So is it just me, or is it really awkward trying to do the shoryuken input on a 3ds thumbstick? Inputting hadouken, shakunetsu, and tatsumaki are simple enough, but it's that shoryuken that gets me. I'd imagine it's far easier on a pro controller/gamecube controller, where you have an actual stick to work with, but on 3ds it's kind of a nightmare. I keep getting other moves like dash or tilt instead.
I'm no SF noob, either. I played a ton of SF4 before finally walking away (300 hours in, it was just not worth the frustration, but casual play is still fun). I know how to do the motion, but that was on an xbox 360 fightpad (d-pad).
If anyone still plays on 3DS, what are your thoughts? Any tips on how to perform it easier?
The only advice I can give is that, as you probably know, an SRK can be done by doing forward then hadoken; so practice that, trying for the Z motion is not worth it. What I think you might be able to do if you continue to have trouble is what @ mimgrim mimgrim suggested which is :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR: considering the radius of the thumbpad is a lot smaller than a gamecube controller, so you don't really have to worry as much about wasted inputs.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ah yea about that. There are a couple of other ways to input the true DP (SRK) motion then what I suggested).

You can do :GCDR::GCD::GCDR: instead and get it out or even just double :GCDR::GCDR: and get it to come out. Either of these will probably be the best /easiest options for most people.

I still have a tendency to stick to :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR: but that is more for comfort then anything else, tbh.

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
The easiest way for me to visualise the Shoryuken input is just that you do the hadouken (quarter circle) movement while you're walking forward.

Top Bottom