• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu analysis so far

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I posted this in a generic thread but realized there werent any other threads for an overview of ryu, so this is what i posted plus a tad extra.

Light: tapping the button
Heavy: holding the button

Tilts and some specials have light and heavy variations.

Kill moves
Fsmash (upwards of 100)
Usmash (upwards of 130)
Dair (spike)

INPUT SHORYUKEN
Input shoryuken kills above 90 easily and has less landing lag on the ground. While it is still punishable in the air, you have options if you are able to land. Its fun to fake out your opponent with fadc and umeshoryu them.

Tilts

Overall ryu seems to have almost some priority on his normals, grounded and aerial.

Light utilt juggles pretty consistently like a lot of others in the game. You can do light utilt 2-5 times to shoryuken or heavy utilt to shoryuken below kill percent.

I tend to use light dtilt for tick throws, and heavy dtilt i havent been able to use much. You can do heavy dtilt to hadoken just like street fighter tho.

Light ftilt seems to pop up characters at low percents fir followups. You can chase in the air or bait an airdodge and grab them.
I havent experimented too closely with collarbone breaker tho. It has just enough knockback to push people away and not enough to keep pressure on them. But it does lots of shield damage regardless.

The first hit of jab is cancelable into specials. Heavy jab does as much damage as a full combo but has more knockback.

Quirks

Note that ryu cannot change his air trajectory easily. This is due to sf mechanics that keep ryu true to his game and ends up balancing him in a way. Be a tad careful when jumping. Double jumping can change trajectory.

Perfect shielding feels easier, maybe he has more perfect shielding frames due to his parry animation?

Iasa frames feel almost shorter than megamans. Run up light dtilt might work.

While there is next to no application for perfect pivoting, i might as well mention that ryus pp is short and looks weird (haha). Since ryu turns around a little slower without inputting an attack, his pivot has an odd timing, and his dash dance is actually a little slower, closer to a melee dash dance. Not quite as applicable, but closer. Interesting to note.

Special's traits
Tatsu beats projectiles after it starts up just like in sf. Tatsu is a good move to punish rolling back with. Input tatsu launches pretty far, but doesnt kill. Can limit your opponents recovery options and does more damage than normal tatsu.

Tatsu can be held down or released to change distance.

Only input shoryuken has invincibility

Shankunetsu hadoken CAN BE SHIELDED EVEN IF THE FIRST HIT LANDS and does has ONE hit of armor (normal hadoken destroys it) i recommend using input hadoken instead of shankunetsu.

Hadoken loses to most projectiles, but it still beats gordo.

Hadoken can be used for a decently annoying ledgestall, but be careful when doing so. They opponent could still jump and spike you.

Level 2 fadc takes a long time to charge
(Level 1: launches, just press and release
Level 2: crumple, flashes yellow
Level 3: hour-long crumple, full charge)

Aerials

Nair 8%, super quick recovery. Nair to grab or input dp might work. Starting a shorthop immediately with nair allows you to throw something else out afterwards. Not too applicable, but good to note

Fair 15% almost as much damage fsmash.

Bair 16% as much damage as fmaahs, more knockback than fair.

Dair 12% spikes

Uair 11% good for air followups, dthrow juggles.

Throws

All throws do 9% except for bthrow whitch does 12.

Dthrow combos into stuff like uair, shoryuken .

Recovery

Ryus hadoken pops him up a little bit, kindof like mewtwos side b but not as good. Can be used to stall/dodge or maybe after a double jump for a bit of height.

Tatsu goes up a ton when used after double jump.

If you are launched high, fadc can save you from an edgeguard attempt if it doesnt hit twice.

When recoverying vertically, remember holding down on up b makes ryu go higher. Shoryken has a ton of priority, so it can hit people too close to the edge. Holding forward makes ryu go forward more.

If you guys find more, please post below. WE MUST TRAIN HARDER.

Top Bottom