• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Running out of creative juice in neutral

Echo97

Smash Rookie
It seems sometimes when i'm playing a string of matches with Marth, i run out of new things to do. I can't always think of something fresh to bring to the current situation, and my opponent(s) adapts to me quickly. What are some things to do in order to keep yourself sharp, unexpected, and creative? -this is aimed more toward neutral

bboss

Smash Journeyman
just autocancel nair lol

jk, just waveland / wavedash back ftilt, wavedashing, dashdancing, etc.

Last edited:

Echo97

Smash Rookie
just autocancel nair lol

jk, just waveland / wavedash back ftilt, wavedashing, dashdancing, etc.
i actually haven't done wavedash back ftilt a lot, that's a solid idea. i also have to get dashdancing down; it's one of Marth's best tools hands down

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Neutral mostly involves attack selection and then the spacing of those choices. If you feel you're being adapted to, then you're not choosing the right attack at the given time due to information you've afforded your opponent through your previous choices. You could also be failing to change your spacing to fit their adapted spacings.

Having varied mixups is good but you also have to take care and use each choice correctly. A move can be wrong in the sense that it doesn't fit the situation, but it can also be wrong if just executed poorly. If you feel like an opponent is adapting, ask why you made a certain move selection and figure out why it didn't work. Sometimes I find myself using D-tilt in situations it's not ideal, so when I catch myself thinking that and switch to another choice like grab or a F-air, I can adapt ahead of them. Other times that D-tilt would've worked if I'd just spaced it more carefully.

Your rhythm can also be a way for you opponent to adapt. Many players will act as soon as they whiff regardless of what their opponent is doing. This can be exploited, for example, if you do a SHFFL F-air and whiff then immediately act, your oponnent will know exactly when one of your actions takes place. You can choose to remain idle briefly when you'd otherwise act and just observe. Stagger different timings like this to keep people guessing.

Last edited:

Echo97

Smash Rookie
Neutral mostly involves attack selection and then the spacing of those choices. If you feel you're being adapted to, then you're not choosing the right attack at the given time due to information you've afforded your opponent through your previous choices. You could also be failing to change your spacing to fit their adapted spacings.

Having varied mixups is good but you also have to take care and use each choice correctly. A move can be wrong in the sense that it doesn't fit the situation, but it can also be wrong if just executed poorly. If you feel like an opponent is adapting, ask why you made a certain move selection and figure out why it didn't work. Sometimes I find myself using D-tilt in situations it's not ideal, so when I catch myself thinking that and switch to another choice like grab or a F-air, I can adapt ahead of them. Other times that D-tilt would've worked if I'd just spaced it more carefully.

Your rhythm can also be a way for you opponent to adapt. Many players will act as soon as they whiff regardless of what their opponent is doing. This can be exploited, for example, if you do a SHFFL F-air and whiff then immediately act, your oponnent will know exactly when one of your actions takes place. You can choose to remain idle briefly when you'd otherwise act and just observe. Stagger different timings like this to keep people guessing.
Thank you for all this. i really do have to pay more attention and put out more of an effort to stop doing repetitive things. I just need a little discipline

Top Bottom