• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Running off the ledge without snapping

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
I am in training mode with pikachu and I am simply hold run in one direction from one side of the stage to the other on battlefield. When I fall off (while still holding the same direction) pikachu seems to sometimes snap onto ledge, but sometimes doesn't and falls off.

I have noticed this happen in games too but I thought it was just down to me letting go of the analogue stick just as I fall off, or holding back, which causes pikachu onto snap onto the ledge (no doubt this is the reason many times).

Does anyone know how to reliably run off the stage and fall without snapping onto the ledge?

Zachary Cervone

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirVown
3DS FC
4957-3162-9402
Best way to avoid this is to buffer an aerial as you fall off. This means you will have to time when you choose to attack off stage opponents and know the distance of which move to use based on the location of the enemy.

Last edited:

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
So the only way is to buffer an aerial? Bit of a shame - I was wondering if there was a way to just run straight off.

Zachary Cervone

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirVown
3DS FC
4957-3162-9402
Thing is I don't get the issue you mention above at least not when I am dashing, perhaps your controller has issues? In any case when you drop off the ledge you lose a jump so you could preemptively short hop as well to avoid the ledge. Pikachu's aerials linger long enough to make buffering them completely fine 90% of the time.

Afrobean

Smash Rookie
NNID
Afrobean
Thing is I don't get the issue you mention above at least not when I am dashing, perhaps your controller has issues? In any case when you drop off the ledge you lose a jump so you could preemptively short hop as well to avoid the ledge. Pikachu's aerials linger long enough to make buffering them completely fine 90% of the time.
Requiring a buffered aerial is bad, because it can easily lead to bad flubs if it's too early/late since you might use a dash attack at the edge or end up using a fair or bair too late and end up having trouble actually hitting your opponent and getting back to the stage after the long animation finally ends. Especially since you're talking about it being a good thing that he has long-lasting aerials. It also negates the possibility of running off of the edge but remaining close to the edge without attacking, perhaps waiting to bait and punish an airdodge right before they grab the edge. That's situational, yeah, but I think your other suggestion to short hop right before running off the edge is the best solution to this problem. It's the easiest and least damaging if the player messes up the timing, while still leaving almost all options open that would be open if Pikachu could just run off the edge without stupidly autosnapping some of the time.

D DeaDea : I've experienced the same problem frequently as well. I think it varies from stage to stage, but there are definitely options available to get around it. I like short hopping just before running off, but I often end up forgetting and just try running off. It's not a huge deal and it's easy to get around.

Last edited:

Zachary Cervone

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirVown
3DS FC
4957-3162-9402
Requiring a buffered aerial is bad, because it can easily lead to bad flubs if it's too early/late since you might use a dash attack at the edge or end up using a fair or bair too late and end up having trouble actually hitting your opponent and getting back to the stage after the long animation finally ends. Especially since you're talking about it being a good thing that he has long-lasting aerials. It also negates the possibility of running off of the edge but remaining close to the edge without attacking, perhaps waiting to bait and punish an airdodge right before they grab the edge. That's situational, yeah, but I think your other suggestion to short hop right before running off the edge is the best solution to this problem. It's the easiest and least damaging if the player messes up the timing, while still leaving almost all options open that would be open if Pikachu could just run off the edge without stupidly autosnapping some of the time.

D DeaDea : I've experienced the same problem frequently as well. I think it varies from stage to stage, but there are definitely options available to get around it. I like short hopping just before running off, but I often end up forgetting and just try running off. It's not a huge deal and it's easy to get around.
Actually jumping before the ledge is the lesser form of edgeguarding since it is super telegraphed and you have to be further from the ledge or have an aerial going when you pass the ledge otherwise you will grab it compared to simply dropping off. I just recently put a montage of some of my Pikachu plays on the Pikachu forums and I perform aerials off of the ledge a plethora of times perhaps for reference. This is something you shouldn't avoid out of the almost non-existent fear of screwing it up since it will hinder your growth as a player and is something many characters can take advantage of. D DeaDea

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
The truth is having to buffer an aerial or having to shorthop are both advantageous in different scenarios but is not optimal as there are times where running off and waiting a split second before choosing which aerial you want to do is the best thing to do.

I will try labbing and hopefully find a solution!

Top Bottom