• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Stage Preferences

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
Hey PMers, I'm new to competitive smash and don't really get which playstyles prefer what stages yet. I just picked up Roy and I fell in love with his playstyle but don't really get what stages I should be aiming for and what to avoid. In the interest of giving this topic a succinct question I'll ask: What do you guys think Roy's preferred stages are? On the other hand what are the stages Roy shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Fountain of Dreams is a good Roy stage. The low platforms can help him sweetspot attacks like Fsmash, the high ceiling combined with his fall speed makes him hard to KO vertically, and the side boundaries don't hinder his own KO power.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
I was also going to say FoD (and It is my go to default stage for him). but in general, any stage that is small works better for Roy, as he tends to need to be up close and personal to deal maximum damage.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
FoD is good for recovery, too. Easy to climb the sides with blazer, and you'll rarely find yourself hit too far from the ledge (without crossing the blast zone, of course). It was probably Roy's best stage in Melee, although I'm unsure if this still holds true.
In general, you'll want to pick smaller stages so Roy's good zoning will prevent camping and make chasing easier, but if you find yourself against Marth or another character with superior range a more spacious stage like Dreamland or battlefield might be a better choice to press Roy's platform play and overall movement over aggressive zoning.

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
I think Roy can fit a variety of stages not just closed in ones.

Roy's movement can be hindered by small stages but if you know how to move then the small stage shouldn't bother too much.

I prefer wide stages with small blast zones (PK Stadium 1?) and 1 level of platforms like smashville.

Norfair is a bad stage for Roy cause he can't even make the top platform with a double jump if it's too high so opponents can just escape if the pressure is bad.

You want to control the ground and limit as much verticality as possible IMO.

PK 1-2, Smashville, Greenzone (maybe), etc...

However small stages work great too though they may break my rule of 1 level of platforms, (I.E Yoshi's Story.)

Stages like Dreamland should be avoided though the ground is spacious the large blastzones and vertical space may hinder you. Unless you're a master at poking at high escaping opponents.

IDK honestly the more I think about it I think Roy can handle anything on any stage as long as you play smart.

FirexBolt

Smash Rookie
Stages I prefer:
  • Fountain of Dreams (Go to stage for horizontal kills)
  • Yoshi's Island (Same as FoD)
  • Distant Planet (I just like how Roy can use the center platforms for surprise F-smashes and how he can combo with the platforms)
  • Pokemon 1-2 (This is more of a play-style preference to me)
Iffy stages/Stages I can work with:
  • Final Destination (It's kinda wide)
  • Battlefield (Vertical kills off the top platform and lower platforms for comboing)
  • Rumble Falls (If the platforms were straight and lower it's be easier for Roy)
  • Green Hillzone (Small, but that stupid platform messes me up sometimes)
  • Smashville (Moving platform, self-explanatory)
  • Dracula's Castle (Wide and shifting platforms can be for better or worse)
  • Skyworld (Platforms aren't in good positions for a surprising F-smash KO like DP and sometimes i get stuck under the level)
Stages I avoid:
  • Dreamland (Too big to kill)
  • Metal Cavern (The ridges just mess with my play-style SO much)
  • Norfair (as previously stated by A Revelation, the moving platforms are just, ugh sometimes)

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
How do you guys feel about Lylat Cruise? Aside from the obvious hinderance to recovery, it seems to be a good stage for me when I'm playing Roy. The low platforms really stop my partner from escaping and makes comboing easier.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
How does Yoshi's Story (the Melee stage) look for Roy's? I think it's kind of like Fountain of Dreams except a bit more advantageous because he might get stuck above the ledges in FOD.

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
Most platforms, like FoD Yoshi's Story and BF, are his beneficial stages.
Why?
1.He has a variety of moves that can penetrate through the platform. Some prime examples are neutral B, Uair, Nair, *Fsmash (Most effective on FoD though) and Fair. This time around, some of these moves can actually KILL!
2.He moves more swiftly and safely around a platform stage than that of a flat stage.Thankfully, there are plenty of platform stages to choose from.

Try to avoid stages like Skyworld. Yea, it's a platform stage but this particular stage has more disadvantages than advantages:
-you can fall through the cloudy platforms
-recovering to the stage is more challenging since the platform has a slanted edge and similar to that of Lylat Cruise (Minus the tilting)
-there are better stages to choose from

My overall opinion: Because of Roy's great kill moves and swift movement, He's great in most platform stages. You have a better advantage on the obvious small platform stages like FoD, Yoshi's Story and BF. But recovery is much easier when it's not a stage like Lylat due to his lack of recovery and tilting back and forth.

Oh yea keep in mind: Character you're facing matters! You have to know the difference between facing a floaty character, characters with a bit more weight and then your infamous space animals.. know what stages work on who.
Style matters! For example some players are great at edge guarding while others aren't as much. So even the bigger stages like Dreamland can be a great platform stage -- It becomes more of a preference.

I'm sure I left out stuff but hope this helps.

Rhinevalcke6

Smash Cadet
Would WarioWare be considered a good Roy stage? I seem to do well on it, but then again, I'm a casual who can't even tech every tumble.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I like WarioWare too. It's really easy to trap people on platforms, and Roy kills super duper early off the side. There's also very little room to run from Roy's sword.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I think small with platforms seems to be a typical good Roy stage. Stages that have sloped edges are amazing too. Already great edge guessing attacks like neutral b, dtilt, ftilt, and fsmash are just so enhanced when Roy's attacks are angled down, such as on both yoshis island and story. Makes it nearly impossible for the opponent to sweetspot the ledge.

Some of my favorites are YI, YS, FoD, warioware, and PS 1 & 2. Pretty consistent with the rest of you lol.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Don't know if this is really considered a good stage for Roy, but I really use him a lot on Castle Siege, I feel it's small enough to work with. Not to mention it's a Fire Emblem stage.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I've actually been taking a liking to Lylat Cruise.

The reason being is that it doesn't tilt anymore and the 3 platforms are lower than standard platforms and the fact that they're on every part of the stage. The fact that they're so low lets the meatier parts of his sword hit sometimes depending on where you're standing.

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's Island is amazing for me. The lip at the edge of the stage makes Flare Blade edgeguards incredibly free, and the tilting platform seems like it's made for Roy. The support ghosts an also be useful, since Roy's recovery has some pretty good hangtime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom