• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Recovery

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
.... is pretty decent and better than Marth's overall vs spacies (eat quick edgeguard attempts or avoid them with DJ back + extended Up B and it can go through CC punishes).

Also ledge canceling to bait with it is pretty insane.

Idk why I keep hearing Roy has one of the worst recoveries.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I think Marth's floatiness, multiple side-B stalling, and higher double jump give him the more versatile and unpredictable recovery. The only real advantage Roy might have is that he can't be Marth Killer'd. But Marth can make it back from MUCH MUCH further and can be more ambigious with his options recovering since he can float longer, stall longer and his double jump last longer due to his fall speed.

Even though Roy can angle his Up-B much farther, his window for options and timing is still much narrower and thus more predictable. In my opinion at least; I think he's easier to edge guard once you know the MU, but maybe there is more to discover.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Roy's recovery aspects:
Falling speed and gravity: just worse
Jump: just worse
Side b: just worse
Up b: can't be crouch canceled, can't be Marth killer'd, has constant threatening hitbox, capable of going further horizontally

To be honest the up b's are give and take but the fact that every other aspect of Roy's recovery being worse makes it worse

Edit: also it has almost twice the startup of marth's up b

Last edited:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Marth's recovery being better does not make Roy's recovery overall bad.

That's basically it.

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman

That's basically it.
Well marth's is pretty questionable to begin with

I'd say Roy's is somewhat below average but not exactly terrible

Delta Chae

The Observer

That's basically it.
Roy's recovery being bad has nothing to do with how it is compared to Marth's and everything to do with how bad it is on it's own merits or lack thereof. The only thing you can argue is that his up-b trumps Marth's in certain aspects but even then those aspects are fairly inconsequential. Sure, Roy's up-b can grant significantly more horizontal distance than Marth's but that hardly matters when he has such a difficult time getting within range of the ledge in the first place.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Roy's recovery being bad has nothing to do with how it is compared to Marth's and everything to do with how bad it is on it's own merits or lack thereof.
Yes, that's my point. A lot of players that comment on Roy simply say his recovery is horrible because it's worse than Marth's.

Tired of hearing that over and over in commentary lol.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Yes, that's my point. A lot of players that comment on Roy simply say his recovery is horrible because it's worse than Marth's.

You were arguing that Roy's recovery is better than Marth's, people here are saying that's not even remotely true. You're the one who started the comparisons. Marth's own recovery is questionable as it stands and Roy's recovery being worse only adds to the long list of things that's wrong with his design.

1MachGO

Smash Ace

Relatively speaking, who has a worse recovery then? SoPo? Maybe Bowser?

I don't really see Roy's recovery being better than bottom 3.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You were arguing that Roy's recovery is better than Marth's, people here are saying that's not even remotely true. You're the one who started the comparisons. Marth's own recovery is questionable as it stands and Roy's recovery being worse only adds to the long list of things that's wrong with his design.
I said it was better than Marth's vs 2 characters. Marth's is better all in all and pretty solid (not questionable).
Relatively speaking, who has a worse recovery then? SoPo? Maybe Bowser?

I don't really see Roy's recovery being better than bottom 3.
Sheik, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Game&Watch, Ness, Yoshi, Luigi, Cfalcon, Ganondorf, and, depending on the matchup, Falco and Marth.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I said it was better than Marth's vs 2 characters. Marth's is better all in all and pretty solid (not questionable).

Sheik, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Game&Watch, Ness, Yoshi, Luigi, Cfalcon, Ganondorf, and, depending on the matchup, Falco and Marth.
You ought to provide some reasons because all of those characters have wayyyy more options than Roy; particularly in aspects of defense, maneuverability, or mix ups. Putting Zelda, Sheik, Falco, and Marth on that list is laughable.

Delta Chae

The Observer

Even against spacies Marth's recovery is better.
His side-b stall is unarguably better due to his floatiness and mostly compensates for his lack of a true horizontal recovery move.
If he gets shined offstage and he has his second jump he has a chance of making it back, albeit a small one.
He still has a small chance of recovering offstage without his second jump.
His second jump mixups are better because he can both jump higher and his up-b gives better vertical distance.
Even with all of this Marth's recovery is still questionable because his up-b is not that great of a recovery move, he's extremely reliant on his second jump to make it back to the stage, his side-b stalls are extremely easy to intercept as they can't clank with anything, and because the Marth Slayer is a thing.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I'm also curious how you get these. Like Roy's weight makes it already tough to recover. In addition meteor smashes destroy his up special. Like Maybe Sopo and Ness have worse recovers. Like even DK and Bowser are better.

Top Bottom