• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Dair in 3.5

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
I'm glad he has one. Now no opponent will think to recover high. Makes edgegaurding so much easier because it's intimidating.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Dtilt to dair is the most basic but devastating combo near the ledge if your opponent DIs the dtilt wrong. I'm very fond of taking stocks with that setup (not too much of a "hype combo" but literally any fire spike is hype).

forbidden12

Smash Cadet
Dtilt to dair is the most basic but devastating combo near the ledge if your opponent DIs the dtilt wrong. I'm very fond of taking stocks with that setup (not too much of a "hype combo" but literally any fire spike is hype).
Considering the small hitbox there should be hype

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
I actually believe it's a little over the top. Roy, before 3.5, had a plethora of kill options. I liked his old dair because of early-percent tech chase setups. Now his dair only puts his opponent into stagger and sometimes not even that. I also am a little biased because I loved seeing a kill off the top with his old dair. =P I'm actually starting to believe Roy in 3.5 is just a little bit too good. Not enough to warrant an overhaul like some characters saw in 3.5, but just enough to merit a few small tweaks to his kit.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Even if he is overpowered, (which I don't believe he is) this is karma for not including him in smash 4. Smash 4 <<<<<<<<<<<

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
I actually believe it's a little over the top. Roy, before 3.5, had a plethora of kill options. I liked his old dair because of early-percent tech chase setups. Now his dair only puts his opponent into stagger and sometimes not even that. I also am a little biased because I loved seeing a kill off the top with his old dair. =P I'm actually starting to believe Roy in 3.5 is just a little bit too good. Not enough to warrant an overhaul like some characters saw in 3.5, but just enough to merit a few small tweaks to his kit.
While I do appreciate and share a similar fondness of 3.0 Dair, I am big fan of the change to a spike. As mentioned before I've found it incredibly useful of edgeguarding. MeteorDair kills of the top are awesome for sure but I never landed many of those so I find I get much more utility out of the spike. I can't agree that 3.5 Roy is "a little bit too good" but that's probably due to current lack of skill =P

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
While I do appreciate and share a similar fondness of 3.0 Dair, I am big fan of the change to a spike. As mentioned before I've found it incredibly useful of edgeguarding. MeteorDair kills of the top are awesome for sure but I never landed many of those so I find I get much more utility out of the spike. I can't agree that 3.5 Roy is "a little bit too good" but that's probably due to current lack of skill =P
The rule of thumb for all Roys in 3.0 was that if you could get a dair meteor, you could instead go for a reverse bair. Dair meteor kills were awesome to see in 3.0, but they weren't practical as a kill tool when fighting a smart player. For this reason, dair meteors were only seen as tech chase setups among more of the higher level Roys. I can understand the change to it. I cried every time I saw someone meteor cancel the dair and then punish the Roy, but why would we give Roy another reliable kill move when he already has plenty? That being said, I do enjoy having yet another kill option. >:D

EDIT: And the Meteor dair, in my own opinion, was actually better to edge guard with as a stand alone hitbox. Not only was it easier to land, but due to the knockback and speed at which the opponent went flying downwards, they would find themselves hard-pressed to get back to the ledge. As of right now though, it seems the dair is a better edge guarding tool as a whole. Not only do you have a chance to get the super sweetspot spike, but the sourspot semi-spike hitbox is actually easier to land in 3.5, making his dair, as a whole, a lot more efficient. I mean, either way, if you land a ledgehop dair on your opponent, they've resigned themselves to one of three ugly fates, and only one of them is even remotely survivable.

Last edited:

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198
I do miss Roy's old D-Air because it was so much easier to sweet spot it. I used to often combo D-Air into D-Air like it was nothing and do a ton of damage instantly. To me it was more of an on-stage move. But I like Roy's new D-Air as well. It is much harder to pull off, but it pays off a lot when you do it off-stage. And it feels amazing to actually be able to Ken combo with Roy into a real spike.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Roy's dair is now a situational but useful move. it has the benefit of being a move that when landed feels amazing. Roy's Dair would be amazing if it were as easy to sweetspot as before.

Top Bottom