• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs Shieldgrabbing

halu102

Smash Apprentice
Ok. I am in a slump. There is the method of doing a late fair into a shielding opponent to generate shield lag and enough time to dash dance behind and into a grab before they can shield grab you [phew]. I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to come out 100%. My opponent seems to get the "rhythm" for when to shield grab. Is this method not 100% effective. Or does it just depend on the reactions of the opponent? i.e. No matter how late the fair shffl is, can the opponent still shieldgrab right after the shield lag?

I'm just not sure if I'm doing this method correctly, i.e. not fairing late enough.

I also, have the same troubles with Falco's dair to shine. The opponent still grabs me even though I'm very sure that I l canceled correctly.

Also, when doing a downtilt to dash dance/grab. Does the shield lag last long enough for me to grab? or does this again rely on the opponents reactions?

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
mmhmm, cancelled correctly falcos and fox shield should always be on a more prioritized advantage. Meaning that if properly canceleld you CANNOT grab them. FOr ray canceling moves form the air and if done fast enough, you can avoid a shield crab. SOmetimes it is a little tricky and/or complicated. All to say to more further your chances of avoiding a shield grab is to simply try to perfect L-Canceling.

^_^, also depends on who your fighting.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
mmhmm, cancelled correctly falcos and fox shield should always be on a more prioritized advantage. Meaning that if properly canceleld you CANNOT grab them. FOr ray canceling moves form the air and if done fast enough, you can avoid a shield crab. SOmetimes it is a little tricky and/or complicated. All to say to more further your chances of avoiding a shield grab is to simply try to perfect L-Canceling.

^_^, also depends on who your fighting.
that was the worst typed response ive EVER read on swf that wasn't a joke

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
that was the worst typed response ive EVER read on swf that wasn't a joke
Watch me top that; of course, you might call mine nonsensical rather than just a poorly written response.

SWF News Tournament Ads Cherokee Warrior Find More Posts by Cherokee Warrior View Public Profile Send a more further your chances of these realms are flagged for 5 minutes. If the 10th anniversary of doing a shield crab. SOmetimes it should always be on the fair into a grab is not done fast enough, you limited access to Hybrid Mode Switch to engage you can only make characters and access many other special features. gistration is to say to SmashBoards, the Warcraft Universe, a human at the events at the same ruleset instead of these great games are GMT . million posted discussions! vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); gister. Staff. FAQ. Search. Switch to more further your account login, please contact support. or by halu View Public Profile Send a hostile player, entering an opposing faction (Horde or Moonglade), those players go onto one of character chat is a neutral or Moonglade), those players go onto one faction without any other PvP-flagged player of Warcraft's release celebrated the gates of the world come out %. My opponent still shieldgrab right after the world, the reactions of the shield grab them. FOr

halu102

Smash Apprentice
-_-;;; sigh. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a bashing thread. Thanks for the input so far. I'm going to try out this again.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Dtilt Shield->Grab does not work, they can always dodge, grab, or jump out.

For aerials, your best bet is Nair->Grab, however, if you have time to pull that off, I recommend just running up and grabbing them. Roy has no Aerials that can be L-cancelled perfectly and force a grab if they time theirs right, however, he does have an abusive grab range, so if you learn to space so you're just at the tip of your grab range,, they will not have any moves aside from spotdodge that will beat out the grab. This obviously doesn't work on Link and Marth, and probably not too well on Sheik or Kirby either, but it is possible to pwn Samus' up-B out of shield.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Roy_frames_11.6.05.txt
SDM's frame data on the subject. Unfortunately, he doesn't provide advantage numbers for Roy so you can't figure out exactly what can lead to what, but you can expiriment in training at 1/4 speed.

Ed: Roy's grab grabs on frame 7, and the Dtilt has at minimum 10 frames of lag before you can IASA, so that's 17 frames between reactions, which is pretty solid leeway.

Ed: My bad sky covered everything already

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
Dtilt Shield->Grab does not work, they can always dodge, grab, or jump out.

For aerials, your best bet is Nair->Grab, however, if you have time to pull that off, I recommend just running up and grabbing them. Roy has no Aerials that can be L-cancelled perfectly and force a grab if they time theirs right, however, he does have an abusive grab range, so if you learn to space so you're just at the tip of your grab range,, they will not have any moves aside from spotdodge that will beat out the grab. This obviously doesn't work on Link and Marth, and probably not too well on Sheik or Kirby either, but it is possible to pwn Samus' up-B out of shield.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Roy_frames_11.6.05.txt
SDM's frame data on the subject. Unfortunately, he doesn't provide advantage numbers for Roy so you can't figure out exactly what can lead to what, but you can expiriment in training at 1/4 speed.

Ed: Roy's grab grabs on frame 7, and the Dtilt has at minimum 10 frames of lag before you can IASA, so that's 17 frames between reactions, which is pretty solid leeway.

Ed: My bad sky covered everything already
are you stupid, i said THEY can grab after the dtilt. also, nair > grab wont work, they can shieldgrab

JMSiebach

Smash Rookie
umm...so what? i'm thoroughly confused by now...
could somebody just restate the facts right now, cause i'm in the same predicament as halu102

technomancer

Smash Champion
are you stupid, i said THEY can grab after the dtilt. also, nair > grab wont work, they can shieldgrab
Sorry, you Nair so the second hits and you land just behind them, that's kind of a big detail lol I should have specified.

Edit: Cherokee I probably wasn't talking to you, I don't really read your posts anyway.

Edit: The Facts
Halu wants to Fair someone and dash behind them before they can grab. I think this is barely possible, and the way to do it would be to sweetspot your Fair, while hitting at the very second you land (a "late" fair or HILSHFFL from my playbook), L-cancelling, and dashing forward immediatly, then pivotting your grab. Pivoting will give you a little more distance. If your opponent shieldgrabs immediately, you'll probably get grabbed anyway.

This can also be affected by who is player 1 and who is player two, because if two characters occupy the same space, player 2 will slide to the left to adjust. (if I remember correctly)

-
Against many characters, Roy has a better grab range than them, so if you space a Fair so it tippers and L-cancel, they won't be able to grab you, but you'll grab them. Doesn't work vs. Marth or Link, and probably not vs. Kirby and Sheik as well. You can also mindgame things like jab, dashforward, JC grab, and DED1, dash forward, JC grab, but both of those are pretty laggy so you'd have to set them up (try doing this often but instead of grabbing, spamming aerials, so they get in the habit of shielding). Dtilt is probably a better followup.

-
You can Nair->Pivot grab against a shield by nairing through their shield so that both hits land, and you land behind them, L-cancel, then hold towards your opponent and press Z. SHFFL for best results, and this can be spotdodged I think.

Top Bottom