• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Vs. Ness?

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I've been playing PM for a while now, and have been picking up tech skill as I go along. While I'm still pretty much a noob, I've got the basics down. I l-cancel, wavedash, waveland, tech, etc. when I need to. My brother however, who I play quite often is a bit of a scrub. I trash him, mostly 4-stocks whenever we play. Whenever I play Roy, however, my 2nd main, and my bro plays Ness, his 2nd main, the situation reverses. I still get my tech on and deal a lot of damage, but he always ends up beating me. Whenever he switches back to Falcon I body him again, but I can't kill his Ness. Any tips?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've been playing PM for a while now, and have been picking up tech skill as I go along. While I'm still pretty much a noob, I've got the basics down. I l-cancel, wavedash, waveland, tech, etc. when I need to. My brother however, who I play quite often is a bit of a scrub. I trash him, mostly 4-stocks whenever we play. Whenever I play Roy, however, my 2nd main, and my bro plays Ness, his 2nd main, the situation reverses. I still get my tech on and deal a lot of damage, but he always ends up beating me. Whenever he switches back to Falcon I body him again, but I can't kill his Ness. Any tips?
What would you say is the most annoying thing that your brother uses when he plays Ness against your Lucas?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
this might really just be a case of his playstyle with ness being able to take advantage of your bad habbits during a match. with roys superior speed, range, and power, i find it vey hard to believe that its becasue of a MU disadvantage. try playing with an open mind and pay attention to your habbits. also, pay attention to his habbits with ness, and calmly think about how to counter his movements and attacks.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
this might really just be a case of his playstyle with ness being able to take advantage of your bad habbits during a match. with roys superior speed, range, and power, i find it vey hard to believe that its becasue of a MU disadvantage. try playing with an open mind and pay attention to your habbits. also, pay attention to his habbits with ness, and calmly think about how to counter his movements and attacks.
In the hands of a good Ness, I feel as though Roy doesn't have quite the MU advantage most people claim he does. Sure Roy can easily outspace Ness with his fast, disjointed attacks but Roy just gets chainthrowed like there's no tomorrow and if I DI out of it, then I just get instantly juggled with the Ness's DJC Uairs and the like. It becomes an aggravating game of "don't get hit". Oh yeah, and a smart Ness will use PK Fire to get grabs easier, too. Gah, I hate it so much.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well, ultimately a smart player can really counter any MU. pk fire can help get ness a lot of grabs, and sure, chain throws definitely hurt roy, but ness is hurt just as badly by roys combo game. They both combo excellently on each other, and they eac have great kill options, however, roys kill options are a bit more potent and numerous. even looking aside from that, my main reason for saying roy would do ok in this MU is because of his advantages in the neutral game. pk fire is going to be the magic answer for roys insane range advantage over ness, and coupled with an amazing DD and great speed, its very hard for ness to get something started, where as for roy, its pretty easy to get his combos going.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
well, ultimately a smart player can really counter any MU. pk fire can help get ness a lot of grabs, and sure, chain throws definitely hurt roy, but ness is hurt just as badly by roys combo game. They both combo excellently on each other, and they eac have great kill options, however, roys kill options are a bit more potent and numerous. even looking aside from that, my main reason for saying roy would do ok in this MU is because of his advantages in the neutral game. pk fire is going to be the magic answer for roys insane range advantage over ness, and coupled with an amazing DD and great speed, its very hard for ness to get something started, where as for roy, its pretty easy to get his combos going.
Roy definitely has the advantage. I'm just saying that I don't think it's as big as I've heard from others. I've heard some say it's 70-30 Roy's favour and I feel as though that's not right. More like 60-40 or 65-35 at best. But anyway as you can no doubt tell, I've had some trouble with this MU (my partner's probably the best Ness in Australia lol) so I really appreciate the tips :)

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i wouldnt go so far as to give an actual number to the MU. I feel that i would need to face all of PMs top ness players to really do that and i certainly havent. Whenever i talk MU discussions i usually just say advantageous or not.

either way though, whenever ive had issues with people that i know i am better than, its usually because im hurting myself. Theres things i could be doing, but bad habits prevent me from doing them, and its up to you to really dissect your own play style, get off of autopilot, and figure out the best way to counter his most likely simple gameplay tactic (if he even has one; he could just be on total autopilot).

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Make Ness approach you and smack him with a fair when he does. Nair is pretty useful too if the spacing is right. Once you give him that smack, apply the pressure. Dtilts, grabs, more fairs. Uair juggles him fairly nicely too.
Don't DI away from Ness on his down throw at low percents, or else he'll chain grab you. DIing behind might work but I've had good luck with upwards. (down might work too, have to try that).
When he recovers, as soon as he goes for his up B, jump off the stage and slam him with that flare blade. Unless he's really far away. If that's not possible, seek to interrupt his trajectory with some attack or counter, but don't wait for him to land, because his landing lag off his up B is too quick.
If he hits you with a PK fire, rolling away from him tends to reset the neutral game.

Going in for the attack on neutral game can be risky because Ness can grab you pretty easily and rack up tons of damage from there. Focus on not getting grabbed.

My experience so far.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
The first couple of matches definitely showed that ness has a difficult time getting something started, but when he does get in, he does a lot of damage. sethlon made a few mistakes in the begeining where he could have won instead, however, the later matches he pretty much just got it handed to him. Seemed like he was playing way too impulsively. I would definitely like to see these two face off again to see if maybe sethlon was just having a bad day or if ness really does have some kind of counter against roy. My guess is he was probably off, but you never know.

Top Bottom