• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs falco

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Went to my local weekly tourney today and played some of the typical people... beating the 4 usuals with a combination of roy and zelda. However we had a new guy this week playing falco, and usually im pretty decent against falco, however i had a lot harder time vs this one. He used a lot more laser than im used to and was probably overall the best or 2nd best falco ive played. We were fairly even through the whole match and he just barely won.
My 2 questions, how do you get around laser happy falcos?
*AND*
How do you get around range happy samus(i usually just switch to other characters)?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Went to my local weekly tourney today and played some of the typical people... beating the 4 usuals with a combination of roy and zelda. However we had a new guy this week playing falco, and usually im pretty decent against falco, however i had a lot harder time vs this one. He used a lot more laser than im used to and was probably overall the best or 2nd best falco ive played. We were fairly even through the whole match and he just barely won.
*AND*
How do you get around range happy samus(i usually just switch to other characters)?
waveland onto platforms will force falco make a move. he will either jump on his platform to laser more or approach under your platform.

this leaves you to fall from your platform if he jumps up, or jump to the top platform if he is approaching.

if you are on the top, bait him to the platforms and go under. this will leave you in a really good position to trap the falco and kill him.

another good tip is to wavedash out of shield a lot. this will mess up the falco's laser spacing and probably land you with a grab if you play your cards right.

also, powershielding will really REALLY **** a campy falco. its hard to be consistant, but if you practice you could probably make it happen.

for the samus, you can simply avoid the missles by ducking, jumping, or wavelanding on a platform. they are pretty easy to dodge. if you are in a tight spot, your sword WILL kill the missile without you taking damage. on the ground, utilt or jab would probably be best; in the air bair is probably the best (cause of duration) but its not that hard to slash a missile with a fair.

the charged shot should always be shielded (or countered if you're feeling awesome). you can't cancel it out with any of your moves. luckily samus only gets to charge when you're dead, so hopefully there wont be many of them :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you dont HAVE to approach. if you jump over his lasers and just space yourself, he will probably eventually become impatient and approach you.

some really campy players (like KirkQ or Kels) will camp you indefinitely, especially in tournament matches. to get around this, work on your wavedash out of shield and spacing yourself with your jumps above his lasers. if jumping over and hitting him isn't working, its because you're being too predictable. keep it mixed up.

(or powershield at least 20% of his lasers back at him)

all of this is general information that will work with all characters. there is a lot more to it than what i wrote, but thats something you have to learn on your own.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
good advice Sveet, powershielding is teh sweetness on falco, especially PS>Shield dash. Also just one thing more thing on falco... when you grab him, don't let him forget about it. In other words punish the crap out of him for letting you grab him.

the charged shot should always be shielded (or countered if you're feeling awesome). you can't cancel it out with any of your moves. luckily samus only gets to charge when you're dead, so hopefully there wont be many of them :)
Actually I think I've seen f-tilt cancel CS and I know Fsmash kills it. But the timing on both is stupid and it's best to counter or shield ( once again Power shielding is great for this too, because They never expect it) Anyway, Samus is all about range. You should try to look for the range that is close enough not to let her spam projectiles but just outside of her attack range. Get on her nerves enough to make her rush you then punish her. She kinda hard to combo but there are a few little strings that you can get off on a careless Samus. Also Reed has an old vid where he does some creative edgeguarding on Samus, called Rebellion of Fire on youtube.

LSDX

Wah!
*AND*
Falco: I'm going to use Dreamland as a default. In the case when he's using SH retreating lasers, keep wavelanding on platforms an option. Don't stay too far away from the Falco for too long, or he'll take advantage of the situation. Keep on them at all times with enough rage to stay safe from being pillared.

Samus: Samus is iffy. If it were me, I'd CC seekers and crouch supers (idk if crouch works against missile canceled supers). Just keep some distance, enough to get a dtilt combo going.

Top Bottom