• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Combos

FirexBolt

Smash Rookie
Thread title is self-explanatory. Just post a combo or two that you think Roy players should use/try to learn/perfect. Also you can ask for tips on a combo that' already been posted.

I like to use this combo against Fox/Falco:
U-throw -> F-air -> U-air -> F-smash. This combo is just so good, but it you want a simpler version it's:
U-throw -> F-smash. Note: This combo can be used on other characters like Marth i.e., but I think it's most effective of SA 's

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
-using DACUS out of throws for pretty good damage. leads to potential follow ups or straight kills from the upsmash.
-ken combos, except with a front facing bair/neutral b as the finisher. Dair is very hard to land reliably, but the other two are easy to land, (the bair sweetspot always hits when you are facing frontwards with it).
-fair > dtilt > everything (this is a givn from melee)
-utilt and uair chains combined with fairs to build up damage and finish with working the opponent offstage
-on fastfallers, uair > fsmash is very important lol

FirexBolt

Smash Rookie
D-tilt -> D-air Finally figured out how to land the meteor almost every time. It's hard of Fox and Falco though. Ganon and CF you can SH but the key is timing and patience and it may stop about around 90-100. Sheik you have to full jump but same thing for timing and patience. Idk the percents for Sheik, but I'll go back later and see. On Marth it works till about mid 80's. Hope this helps. As the percents get higher i think it may be better to start hitting them with the bak of the swinging motion.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah you need to be almost slightly under the opponent. definitely harder the smaller they get. dair sourspots combo well too. there need to be platforms though, because its really CCable on the ground, so you need that extra height to help continue chains. honestly im curious about combos that lead into the second dair sourspot. its like right at the bottom of the swing, almost looks as if its a semi spike, or at least purely horizontal.

additionally, i forgot about side b combos. cancelling after the first or second hit works very well to get things like dtilt or grabs landed.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Not at my wii u,but I think this works:

Side b>2nd hit up>SH nair

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Roy's got this pretty good combo with f-throw, repeat f-throw, dair meteor on Mewtwo. Granted, this worked for me in Yoshi's Story, but it could be due to bad DI.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Does anyone have some other combos that combo into sweetspot dair?To edgeguard with Roy I use his side b>side>up to meteor people instead,but his dair is stronger and cooler.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have some other combos that combo into sweetspot dair?To edgeguard with Roy I use his side b>side>up to meteor people instead,but his dair is stronger and cooler.
There's a pseudo Ken combo you can do to combo into it. I'm not quite sure on the percentages but I've had it happen with the sweetspot of his sword and the tip of his sword and sometimes a combination of both. It seems pretty situational.

I'm not sure if this is a combo, but yesterday, I had a friend playing Wario. When he stood on the edge while I was recovering, I sweetspotted the edge, Up-B carried him off, I grabbed the ledge and immediately D-Air'd him. Did it twice. It might have just been bad D.I. but it was pretty satisfying. :)

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
See my comment above yours. I think it works against many floaties.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Alright thanks guys.

Blade-Fox that does sound pretty satisfying.

iwinatu

Smash Rookie
When I was playing my friend and he was falcon, as long as I didn't miss time or miss an L cancel, I could do double SH dairs to fsmash from hitting him off of his bounces on the ground at low percents, like 0-20%, and he get up to 55-75% really quickly.
It's true he could have teched either of those landings (and he's actually pretty good at teching), but he didn't, not at low percents that is. So that leads me to believe that the combo happens so fast, and the window for those techs is so small, that you have a good chance of racking up some serious percent really quickly (and possibly demoralizing them a bit haha) with this combo.

Since this is more a string rather than a true combo, I went ahead and did some testing on computers since they tech pretty much everything.
For fast fallers:
I found that if you want to get them in the hit stun of the dair, you can only do 1. The second one just is too slow and the lag you incur is longer than the time it takes them to hit the ground. If you want both they gotta be at like 80-90%, but then their DI makes it messy so it's an on the fly call.

For falcon, you can start getting a guaranteed dair > fsmash at 50%
Fox you can start it at more 70%
Falco, if you have very precise timing, and get the fsmash asap after the dair, you can start at 55%, but in the heat of battle that's really tough, so 65% is when it's pretty reliable

For mediums:
I didn't do much testing, but I found that you can start at about 40+%. Anything under won't work, so watch out for that.
I found you could get Sheik at 25% which was weird. I couldn't tell if this was legit or if she got a brief stand up before the hit, implying a shield or an attack :p

For lights:
Starts at 0%, works til about 20% until they can just jump out of it lol.

So even though this combo works at low percents mainly, on small maps like Yoshi's Story, it can nab you a quick kill near the edges, which is fantastic imo.
And a side note, if you're really good at aiming this, if you hit them with the back swing on the dair, since it sends them a little bit higher, you can get the fsmash off at about 10ish% lower

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah the sourspot of dair works well to combo into things. Im glad you picked out some percentages there too! Honestly, yoshis story is literally my go to stage for roy. That, smashville, and FoD. Roy does soo well with platforms too. I can pretty consitently pull a fair > dilt > full hop fair onto platform > fsmash for the kill. Uair onto platforms sets up extremely cleanly as well. I wonder if you can full hop, but dair right as you leave the ground, connect with it, then land on a platform and follow up with something. As long as the dair can connect even with the full hop i feel like itd work.

iwinatu

Smash Rookie
I've found that fthrow chains are pretty good at low percents. I always have trouble getting his combos off when theyre fresh after a kill, cuz his moves just don't do much hitstun at 0% and I end up getting punished for hitting them lol.
So if you find yourself landing a grab while theyre still low, try this:

fthrow with a small DD > fthrow again, DDing until you see which way theyre going > to as many as you can get off. If you think a wave dash would be better suited to reach them, then go for it, it works too if you use it right.
On fast fallers, they don't even get knocked down on the first throw, so it can confuse them a bit because they may be expecting to tech away. Youre pretty much grabbing with the very tip of his range on this tho, so don't be afraid to go for it.
I saw Map Mark doing this at Xanadu this last week, so it does work to get about 20-30% even on good players. its easier to do than u think tho

Top Bottom