• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy as a secondary character for ICS

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I've always liked Roy for various silly reasons, but i do like how he feels with his movement and stuff.

Anyways, i was wondering if it was worth using Roy as a secondary as a secondary for any matchups that might be easier for Roy instead of my main, Ice Climbers. Thanks all!

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
If your willing to put a lot of time and energy into a terrible character, and not see results with him for a long, long, long, long... time. Then sure go ahead and do that. But know that it will not be fun/easy. Plus I can't thing of any match-ups that Roy would have that's better than ICs

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Roy is absolutely terrible against ice climbers and I'd say it's an 8-2 or 8.5-1.5 matchup

Don't

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was trying to say, but if he really wants to main Roy I won't stop him. I'll just let him know how painful and depressing it will be.

This is only something i'm thinking about, and i wouldn't have roy override ICS for a long time while i'm still learning this game.

You're kind of depressing about it for someone who mains roy through 3 games.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
This is only something i'm thinking about, and i wouldn't have roy override ICS for a long time while i'm still learning this game.

You're kind of depressing about it for someone who mains roy through 3 games.
It's really depressing Maining him in melee. (Ineedhelp) I rarely play PM. And Smash 4 I feel like Roy's too good but I'm warming up to him

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
roy isn't completely terrible against fox on fd but it's probably still like 65-35 and it's on one of ics' best stages anyways, so there's little point in picking up roy as a secondary since he fares about the same vs fox as ics, maybe even worse on fd. marth coincidentally has similar movement and does very well against three of ics' four problem matchups (fox, marth, peach). you will probably struggle with falcon, though, but if you can handle that then try looking into marth. if you're not interested then have fun, i guess.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
roy isn't completely terrible against fox on fd but it's probably still like 65-35 and it's on one of ics' best stages anyways, so there's little point in picking up roy as a secondary since he fares about the same vs fox as ics, maybe even worse on fd. marth coincidentally has similar movement and does very well against three of ics' four problem matchups (fox, marth, peach). you will probably struggle with falcon, though, but if you can handle that then try looking into marth. if you're not interested then have fun, i guess.
He's not awful Vs Fox but will still struggle at higher levels of play

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
It's really depressing Maining him in melee. (Ineedhelp) I rarely play PM. And Smash 4 I feel like Roy's too good but I'm warming up to him

Yeah i main him in PM already :D but yeah i haven't played pm tons in a while,

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
If you are looking for a secondary, you should look for a character that will actually help you address your main's difficult matchups. As an ICs player, you'll have a lot of trouble with Peach and Fox (maybe Marth/Falcon too).

Right off the bat I'm going to tell you that Roy is pure trash in those matchups. At best you'll have Fox on FD as a CP, but that's still heavily in Fox's favor. Peach also absolutely destroys Roy. In the neutral, she'll treat you like Marth with turnip camping, but when you do finally get in, you'll get maybe 15% off of your combo or you'll get CC Dsmashed. You'll also be punished ridiculously hard.

I would highly suggest picking up a different character for a secondary. Do not listen to Roy's who claim that he is viable in any top tier matchup (request video footage of them playing high level players and winning if they claim this). I would strongly suggest picking up Marth, Falco, Sheik, or Peach as a secondary. You could also work on Fox, but you may be better off just learning one character than trying to pick up a secondary spacie.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
If you are looking for a secondary, you should look for a character that will actually help you address your main's difficult matchups. As an ICs player, you'll have a lot of trouble with Peach and Fox (maybe Marth/Falcon too).

Right off the bat I'm going to tell you that Roy is pure trash in those matchups. At best you'll have Fox on FD as a CP, but that's still heavily in Fox's favor. Peach also absolutely destroys Roy. In the neutral, she'll treat you like Marth with turnip camping, but when you do finally get in, you'll get maybe 15% off of your combo or you'll get CC Dsmashed. You'll also be punished ridiculously hard.

I would highly suggest picking up a different character for a secondary. Do not listen to Roy's who claim that he is viable in any top tier matchup (request video footage of them playing high level players and winning if they claim this). I would strongly suggest picking up Marth, Falco, Sheik, or Peach as a secondary. You could also work on Fox, but you may be better off just learning one character than trying to pick up a secondary spacie.

thanks dude! I guess I'll leave roy for "for fun" :D

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
thanks dude! I guess I'll leave roy for "for fun" :D
Yeah, Roy can be a real blast, but make no mistake, he is definitely not a viable character. Hope you have success in your journey!

Top Bottom