• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Rosalina's Complete Coverage Thread

Saltix

Smash Lord
I went to Training Mode and did some research on Rosalina's special moves and a few of Luma's nuances. Most of it is already known, but science. Also, I was bored. In other news, I think Launch Star Plus sucks big ones based on what I found unless it has something like invincibility frames.

Specials and Customs:
Luma Shot:
Rosalina shoots Luma forward. Hold B to charge the shot for more distance. Charge can be held indefinitely but cannot be stored. A small chime indicates when you reach maximum charge.
Minimum charge sends Luma about 45% across Final Destination and does 5% on hit. It kills a Mario training dummy from the center of Final Destination at 284%.
Maximum charge sends Luma about 75% across Final Destination and does 16% on hit. It kills a Mario training dummy from the center of Final Destination at 103%.
Luma will stop prematurely if it hits something, although it will not stop if shielded.

Luma Warp:
Luma teleports to a distance equal to that of a minimum charge Luma Shot.
This move cannot be charged, but is performed very quickly.
Luma does 1% when reappearing and cannot kill even at 999%.

Power Luma Shot:
Luma travels much more slowly and covers less distance, but charging the move makes it do much more damage. Luma also no longer stops prematurely if it hits something.
At minimum charge, Luma travels about 20% the length of Final Destination and does 3% on hit. It kills a Mario training dummy at 480% from the center of Final Destination.
At maximum charge, Luma travels 50% the length of Final Destination and does 22% on hit It kills a Mario training dummy at 74% from the center of Final Destination.
Luma cannot be recalled while travelling. However, if you attempt to do so, Luma will fly back to Rosalina as soon as it is able. (This is probably true for Luma Shot and Luma Warp as well, but they are fast enough where this is not an issue.)

Star Bits:
Rosalina commands Luma to shoot three star bits with a range equal to about 25% the length of Final Destination.
The star bits consistently fire in the same pattern: a blue star bit straight ahead, a red star bit angled slightly downward, and a yellow star bit angled slightly upward.
This move can be used regardless of Luma's position, as long as both it and Rosalina are free to act.

Floaty Star Bit:
Luma shoots a single massive star bit that takes roughly 2 seconds to travel the same distance as the standard Star Bits.
The star bit does 2% per hit and can hit a stationary training dummy 3 times before vanishing.
This move cannot kill Mario even at 999%, although it does knock him back a fair distance.

Shooting Star Bit:
Luma shoots a single star bit that travels about 80% the length of Final Destination and does 4% damage.
This move cannot kill Mario even at 999%, although it does knock him back a fair distance.

Launch Star:
Rosalina shoots herself from a Launch star. This move does no damage, but the trajectory can be angled somewhat.
Pressing up B with no further input will result in an approximately 80 degree angle launch from the horizontal plane, going about twice as high as Battlefield's top platform..
Pressing up B and then angling the stick forward will result in an approximately 45 degree angle launch from the horizontal plane, and and will travel the entire length of Final Destination. This angle gets about half the vertical distance of a standard launch.
Pressing up B and then angling the stick backward will result in an approximately 110 degree angle from the horizontal plane, meaning Rosalina actually moves slightly backwards. It gets slightly more vertical distance then a standard launch, but not much. When doing this, one must be careful not to accidentally B-Reverse the move, which will almost certainly result in a self destruct.

Launch Star Plus:
Rosalina is launched much faster than usual, reaching the apex of her jump almost instantly.
This move cannot be angled and does not offer any additional height over Launch Star. Its sole advantage appears to be the speed at which Rosalina is launched.

Launch Star Attack:
Rosalina attacks as she launches, doing a total of 13% over 7 hits. (An initial hit of 3%, 5 hits of 1% each, and a final hit of 5%.)
This move does not travel as far as Launch Star, reaching only about 75% as high. Rosalina also halts her momentum as she performs the finishing blow, making her fall straight down after the move completes.
Angled horizontally, the move lets Rosalina cover 35-40% the length of Final Destination.
This move cannot be angled slightly backwards like Launch Star can.
This move kills a Mario training dummy off the top of Final Destination at 178%.

Gravitational Pull:
Rosalina attracts projectiles and items around her. Projectiles are harmlessly absorbed, while items come to rest next to her. The distinction between "projectile" and "item" seems to depend on whether or not it can be picked up and held in Rosalina's hand.
Projectiles absorbed by this move orbit Rosalina for a second before being destroyed. While orbiting Rosalina, she is considered their owner.
The radius of the effect appears to differ depending on what is being affected. Projectiles within a radius equal to about 20% the length of Final Destination are pulled in, while items are affected from a greater distance, about 30% the length of Final Destination. (Further testing required to verify, may be due to imprecise testing methods.)
To offer a different scale, Gravitational Pull used from the edge of Battlefield will just barely miss a Capsule that fell off the opposite side of the closest platform. By contrast, a Fireball gets absorbed at the halfway point of the same platform.
Items that activate upon landing, such as Pokeballs, are disarmed when affected by Gravitational Pull. Items that arm themselves, such as Bob-Ombs, are still active after being pulled in and thus present a hazard. (Further testing required to verify explosives, AI is uncooperative and does not chuck items on command.)
This move has no effect on other players.

Catch & Release:
Instead of attracting items and projectiles, this move attracts players before launching them away, doing 6% damage.
This move kills a Mario training dummy from the center of Final Destination at 294%.
The range of this move is accurately portrayed by a vortex effect centered on Rosalina, with a radius approximately equal to the length of a Battlefield platform.
The launching part of this move is a proper hitbox and can affect items such as Capsules and Smart Bombs, although it does not affect Bob-Ombs at all. (A strange distinction, further testing required to verify.)

Guardina Luma:
Instead of attracting projectiles, this move causes Luma to enlarge and spin in place for roughly half a second, doing 3% damage and acting as a wall to sponge attacks and projectiles.
This move still attracts items, although with a reduced radius equal to about the length of a Battlefield platform.
This move does kills a Mario training dummy from the center of Final Destination at 469%.

Luma Mechanics:
After sending Luma out via Luma Shot, Luma will attempt to maintain a distance between itself and Rosalina equal to about half the distance of a minimum charged Luma Shot. This distance remains constant regardless of how much Luma Shot was charged.

If Rosalina remains idle, Luma will proceed to wander left and right a distance roughly equal to the distance it tries to maintain between itself and Rosalina.

If Luma is shot offstage, it will attempt to return to the stage with a total of 3 jumps. If it fails by the third jump, it will fall to its death unless recalled manually. The distance it can cover this way is barely insufficient to return to the stage from a minimum charge Luma Shot fired while at the edge.

Commanding Luma to attack while it is in the air will stall it in midair as it performs its move. Some moves will cause Luma to move around as it attacks.

Luma will not wander offstage of its own violition, although it can still end up offstage by exploiting how it moves during certain attacks. Conversely, an offstage Luma that is out of jumps can be coaxed onstage by the same means, although it is simpler to manually recall it.

Luma regains its three jumps if it lands on the stage before ending up offstage again.

If Luma is hit, it enters a tumble state in which it cannot be recalled until it touches ground. If it enters this state over a pit, it cannot be saved.

Provided it is not in a tumble state, Luma can generally act regardless of Rosalina's current condition. It cannot act while Rosalina is grabbing someone, but it can act while Rosalina is being grabbed, stunned, helpless, in hitstun, etc. The Star Bits special move, however, can only be used when Rosalina is free to act.

When Rosalina shields, Luma will enter a defensive stance with a similar pose and stay in place. This does not enhance Luma's defensive capabilities or otherwise prevent it from taking damage.

Luma has a total of approximately 50 HP. (Further testing required to determine exact amount.)
Great information! Something I haven't toyed with extensively is attacking with Luma after you've called her back. It seems to me that you can attack with her during the distance she traves back to Rosalina, but it doesn't stop the return trip. Do you have any data on this?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Great information! Something I haven't toyed with extensively is attacking with Luma after you've called her back. It seems to me that you can attack with her during the distance she traves back to Rosalina, but it doesn't stop the return trip. Do you have any data on this?
That is correct. If you make Luma attack as it's flying back to Rosalina, it will stop to do so and then continue flying to Rosalina after.

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
There are a few situational combos you can do with Rosalina and Luma, not sure of the practicality but it's worth giving them a try.

If you use dSmash with Rosalina's back to the opponent, Luma will hit first since Luma attacks backwards first. Before the opponent is knocked away the 2nd part from Rosalina will still hit the opponent.

At high percentages with the right spacing, you can d/fTilt with Rosalina, then combo into a Smash attack (e.g. uSmash) with Luma. (The combo counter in training considers it a combo but I don't know how accurate that is.)

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I find Catch and Release to be incredibly effective in Smash Run, especially when dealing with lots of weaker enemies (you can farm Mites super easily, for example).

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Here are GIFs I made of Rosalina's taunts as seen in the WiiFolderJosh video, you are welcome to use them in place of what is in the main post currently. Feel free to reupload them somewhere else if you desire.

Up taunt:

Side taunt:

Down taunt:

Crazycolorz5

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crazycolorz5
I've tested several things.

First, we've all observed hitting with both Luma and Rosalina - does this add their knockback or just apply one after the opponent takes damage from both? I'm here to report it's the latter; the second hit's knockback/momentum overrides the first. The opponent still takes damage from both, however.

Also, many moves seem to be prone to that effect, that is, where one of the fighters knocks the opponent into the hitbox of the other. Although these are highly dependent on Luma placing, I tested these out for a Luma just in default position (a bit in front of Rosalina in the direct she's facing) The tendencies seem to be

fsmash - Rosalina->Luma
uSmash - Rosalina->Luma
dSmash - Solo, depends on orientation

uair - Luma->Rosalina (sometimes)
dair - Luma->Rosalina (only if Luma knockbacks toward Rosalina)
bair - Rosalina->Luma
fair - doesn't seem to be setup in a way to encourage both hitting
nair - same, since they hit opposite directions at a give time

ftilt - Rosalina->Luma
dtilt - Rosalina->Luma
utilt - Luma solo, as only he has a hitbox in front of him. If the enemy approaches from above, it's Luma->Rosalina, but very difficult to hit with both.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've tested several things.

First, we've all observed hitting with both Luma and Rosalina - does this add their knockback or just apply one after the opponent takes damage from both? I'm here to report it's the latter; the second hit's knockback/momentum overrides the first. The opponent still takes damage from both, however.

Also, many moves seem to be prone to that effect, that is, where one of the fighters knocks the opponent into the hitbox of the other. Although these are highly dependent on Luma placing, I tested these out for a Luma just in default position (a bit in front of Rosalina in the direct she's facing) The tendencies seem to be

fsmash - Rosalina->Luma
uSmash - Rosalina->Luma
dSmash - Solo, depends on orientation

uair - Luma->Rosalina (sometimes)
dair - Luma->Rosalina (only if Luma knockbacks toward Rosalina)
bair - Rosalina->Luma
fair - doesn't seem to be setup in a way to encourage both hitting
nair - same, since they hit opposite directions at a give time

ftilt - Rosalina->Luma
dtilt - Rosalina->Luma
utilt - Luma solo, as only he has a hitbox in front of him. If the enemy approaches from above, it's Luma->Rosalina, but very difficult to hit with both.
I did input when each attack has KO potential against Mario. Based on damage estimates, the Luma is usually the one who KOs things quicker.

I think this thread can be move to the Rosalina guide section. So when will there be a Rosalina guide @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy ?
At the moment, there is no guide. It should also be noted that this thread will cover Rosalina in Smash Wii U as well.

Crazycolorz5

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crazycolorz5
I did input when each attack has KO potential against Mario. Based on damage estimates, the Luma is usually the one who KOs things quicker.
Right, but I just did some basic tests to see if hitting with both Rosalina and Luma on the same attack would cause more knockback than either individually. It doesn't, aside from the damage adding up from both attacks.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Right, but I just did some basic tests to see if hitting with both Rosalina and Luma on the same attack would cause more knockback. It doesn't; the damages just add up is all.
That's pretty much why I separated the damage values between Rosalina's attacks, and the Luma's attacks.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I was spectical of trying Rosalina at first due to how slow her attacks and movement looked.

But dat Luma. Damn. It's so good at controlling space, following up, edgeguarding from a safe distance, covering blind spots in Rosy's attacks when he's close to her, etc. Rosalina is my new girl main: sorry Peach.

Sephiroth25896

Smash Rookie
Someone managed to barely talk about the boost grab.
The fact that this is a really huge tool in my opinion, the fact that's it's doing 3% might be barely usefull.
But this move is a quite unique move that make possible to grab someone who's laying down on the ground, for exemple if he miss a tech, which is basicaly impossible.
Hope this tip helped some people :3

Sephiroth25896

Smash Rookie
Well, as nobody said anything about this yet. I guess I can freely talk about the Cancelled Reverse Aerial Rush Grab (CRARG)
, which I discover there : smashboards.com/threads/at-cancelled-reverse-aerial-rush-grab-crarg.375527
If you want to improve your Rosalina gameplay, I highly suggest you to read this.
Thanks to Hibiki for sharing his discover :D

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Apparently Luma is completely invincible during a fully charged Luma Shot, according to an ingame tip. I have yet to test this myself though.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Not entirely sure where I should be posting this (I swear there was a thread about the data dump but I can't find it), but it's relevant to Rosalina mains and @Dantarion so I'll just post it here for the former and tag the latter.

Luma's attacks are (mostly) under rosetta_tico in MasterCore2. Unlike other characters, they are all unlabeled. I took the liberty of figuring out what is what, though I'm not entirely sure that 05C is right.

rosetta_tico
008 - Jab1
009 - Jab2
010 - Jab3
00B - RapidJabLoop
00C - RapidJabEnd
00D - DashAttack
00E - Nair
00F - Fair
010 - Bair
011 - Uair
012 - Dair
013 - Ftilt
014 - Utilt
015 - Dtilt
016 - Fsmash-Up
017 - Fsmash
018 - Fsmash-Down
01A - Usmash
01C - Dsmash
05A - Seems to be Luma Shot (neutralB 1)
05B - Intangibility gained with fully charged Luma Shot.
05C - Seems related to Power Luma Shot? (neutralB 3)
05F - Luma Warp (neutralB 2)
062 - Star Bits (sideB 1)
074 - Guardian Luma (downB 3)

rosetta_starpiece
001 - Floaty Star Bit (sideB 2)
002 - Shooting Star Bit (sideB 3)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I was reviewing some of the information here and noticed Luma Warp still uses an uncharged Luma Shot as its point of reference for distance as per my original notes. With Luma Shot covering less distance when uncharged, Luma Warp should probably be updated to a proper value, which IIRC was about 45% of FD's length.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So if you guys didn't already know, downair has the perfect length for a SH to buffer another aerial right before landing, letting rosalina autocancel any aerial immediately after with super lenient timing. So you can use this to really easily do luma-only aerials while running at the opponent or otherwise moving about freely. I loveusing it to set up a luma-only nair while running at them- both hits of luma send forward into a possible combo. You can also SH into a Rosa-only dair which will still autocancel and repeat the process with hitboxes going almost constantly. Keep in mind you'll probably have to buffer that first dair out of the short hop (which is easy just have to remember to input as you jump), anytime I haven't it seems I've missed the second input, meaning that without buffer it would be a difficult 1 or 2 frame window

Also RAR bair seems to give luma abnormally far reach idk why.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Also RAR bair seems to give luma abnormally far reach idk why.
Normally when you bair, Luma starts in front of you. When you RAR, Luma ends up behind you. It's pretty amusing how much of a difference it makes.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
SH bair is ridiculously slow and punishable just because of its late autocancel and her slow fall speed/SH, but that absurd range might make RAR bair somewhat safe lol

Last edited:
Not entirely sure where I should be posting this (I swear there was a thread about the data dump but I can't find it), but it's relevant to Rosalina mains and @Dantarion so I'll just post it here for the former and tag the latter.

Luma's attacks are (mostly) under rosetta_tico in MasterCore2. Unlike other characters, they are all unlabeled. I took the liberty of figuring out what is what, though I'm not entirely sure that 05C is right.

rosetta_tico
008 - Jab1
009 - Jab2
010 - Jab3
00B - RapidJabLoop
00C - RapidJabEnd
00D - DashAttack
00E - Nair
00F - Fair
010 - Bair
011 - Uair
012 - Dair
013 - Ftilt
014 - Utilt
015 - Dtilt
016 - Fsmash-Up
017 - Fsmash
018 - Fsmash-Down
01A - Usmash
01C - Dsmash
05A - Seems to be Luma Shot (neutralB 1)
05B - Intangibility gained with fully charged Luma Shot.
05C - Seems related to Power Luma Shot? (neutralB 3)
05F - Luma Warp (neutralB 2)
062 - Star Bits (sideB 1)
074 - Guardian Luma (downB 3)

rosetta_starpiece
001 - Floaty Star Bit (sideB 2)
002 - Shooting Star Bit (sideB 3)
I find it interesting that the star bit variation that is contained in the same file as Luma is unpocketable, while the variations with their own file can be pocketed. I suspect this is a coding oversight. Since Luma is unpocketable, and they just left standard bits in the same file, this attribute must have carried over accidentally

Meanwhile, to my knowledge, all pocketable articles aside from pikmin and Luma have their own files

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I find it interesting that the star bit variation that is contained in the same file as Luma is unpocketable, while the variations with their own file can be pocketed. I suspect this is a coding oversight. Since Luma is unpocketable, and they just left standard bits in the same file, this attribute must have carried over accidentally

Meanwhile, to my knowledge, all pocketable articles aside from pikmin and Luma have their own files
That's because the default's a disjoint instead of a projectile, no reflecting or absorbing moves work on it.. Each star bit is just two different hitboxes placed in front of Luma.

But that's it though, why make standard star bits a disjoint instead of a projectile? Then again this does seem too big a thing to have been a simple oversight.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It's definitely an odd choice, but looking at how it's coded, with the hitboxes not being tied to the star bits at all, I'd be amazed if it wasn't intentional.

And yet, who are we to question Lord Sakurai?

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
But that's it though, why make standard star bits a disjoint instead of a projectile? Then again this does seem too big a thing to have been a simple oversight.
Especially if things like R.O.B.'s Dair are pocket/reflectable like I've heard; I'd certainly hope it's just an oversight at least.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Bit of a thing I discovered today about Kirby's copied Luma Shot.

First, a bit of background. As I'm sure nearly all Rosalinas are aware, Luma is quite vulnerable under most circumstances. Even when using Luma Shot, it's possible for a hitbox to stop it in its tracks. The exception is a fully charged Luma Shot, which makes Luma invincible as it travels forward.

When Kirby copies Rosalina, he gets Luma Shot regardless of Rosalina's custom of choice. He doesn't get his own little partner though; his own Luma fades away after the move finishes. There's also a hidden 3-second cooldown until Kirby can use it again, but that's not what this is about despite being an interesting tidbit on its own.

No, what this is about is the fact that since Kirby's Luma isn't a lingering entity like Rosalina's and thus lacks a hurtbox, it cannot be hit out of Luma shot. In other words, if Rosalina and Kirby fire Luma Shot at each other, Kirby will always win unless Rosalina has fully charged hers, in which case they'll trade hits at best since Kirby's will just barrel on through anyway. Along a similar vein, Kirby's Luma cannot be hit out of the charging animation, it's intangible. Contrast Rosalina's version, where hitting Luma with anything will make it flinch and break the move; when Rosalina releases it, nothing will happen.

I suspect this is merely an interesting quirk to how Kirby's version of Luma Shot was implemented rather than a deliberate way of tweaking the Rosalina/Kirby matchup, but I think it's relevant to a comprehensive guide of how Rosalina's moves work, including when copied by Kirby.

I have not tested Power Luma Shot but I suspect it acts more or less the same. If Luma is invincible, they'll just move through each other, otherwise Kirby's Luma wins. That's my hypothesis, I just don't know if Power Luma Shot gives Luma invincibility on a partial charge. (Or a full one for that matter.)

Last edited:

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
Rosalina & Luma: Gravitational Pull
  • This move pulls in projectiles from a wide area around Rosalina. Use it to pull Ness's PK Thunder off course when he's trying to recover!
I noticed that this doesn't seem to work in the Wii U version of the game. Of course, it is listed as a hint regarding the 3DS version, though it surprises me that something as major as this differs between the two. Are there any other non-Final-Smash related projectiles that resist the move?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I noticed that this doesn't seem to work in the Wii U version of the game. Of course, it is listed as a hint regarding the 3DS version, though it surprises me that something as major as this differs between the two. Are there any other non-Final-Smash related projectiles that resist the move?
It works, but it's a bit tricky to pull off at times since the projectile orbits Rosalina for a bit before vanishing. If it hits Ness during this time, it'll put him in hitstun and give him another chance at PK Thunder.

If you time it wrong, Ness can also get it out of GPull's range just by arcing it around himself normally. It's definitely a timing/spacing issue.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this is a known thing, but if someone manages to hit Luma across the blast line it'll instantly die regardless of HP. Most relevant on walkoffs like the second part of Castle Siege.

Also, Luma can't swim and will fall through water on Delfino Plaza and similar stages.

Triple posting wheee~ Hopefully I won't get smacked with the mod hammer, I'm not sure what they prefer for this thread given its nature.

Floaty Star Bit turns out to ignore an awful lot of projectiles. It swats away Pikmin, Gordos, Header, the can, and the gyro, but passes right through everything else I could think of. It even ignores all types of Bonus Fruit and turnips. Of course this also means that most projectiles go right through it as well and will hit Rosalina or Luma anyway. But I think this is a fairly new bit of information.

EDIT: A more in depth post I made on the subject elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

oxHUNTERxo

Smash Rookie
I would really like to help out with this and the Rosalina & Luma foums. I'm the Rosalina of Florida, I play on a Japanese 3DS, and I want to contribute to the Rosalina & Luma boards and help out other players that will pick them up in the future.

Also if this isn't the precise place to post this the I apologize and would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction, so that I may do what I can to be a big part of the Rosalina & Luma boards.
I play zss. And if u are a rosa main I'm looking for someone to spar with if ur up for it

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I play zss. And if u are a rosa main I'm looking for someone to spar with if ur up for it
I main Rosa, and uh... I don't say my Rosa is good, especially against ZSS.
I had an experience of VS a troll ZSS on FG and lost, all she does is just dash attack and spam projectiles...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
ZSS Rush Down playstyle is hard to combat because you're a light and floaty character.
But with her attack range and play defensively, Rosalina can still beat ZSS. It might just because I was reckless when using Rosalina.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A gentleman (gentlewoman?) by the name of meshimaX is making Wii U hitbox visualization videos. Here's Rosalina's.

Now, we already have Furil's hitbox visualization, but it doesn't include Luma. This video does for some moves. Most notably, it has uair.

Top Bottom