• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina's Attributes

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Seeing her in the trailer, I can see that Rosalina moves faster than she did in 3D World. Then again, she seems to fly in the air like Mewtwo instead of running like in that game.
That's a good point, she kind of levitates her way up instead of jumping. It'll be interesting to compare her to mewtwo physics-wise if he gets into the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's a good point, she kind of levitates her way up instead of jumping. It'll be interesting to compare her to mewtwo physics-wise if he gets into the game.
I would expect Mega Mewtwo Y to move faster than Rosalina, but it would also be shorter and lighter than her. Normal Mewtwo would probably rival Rosalina's movement speed to the letter.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it should prove effective.
I love getting an opponent off-stage with kirby and messing with them :chuckle:

C3CC

Smash Lord
I intend to make Rosalina one of my new main characters, as she is one of my favorite characters in the Mario universe and by far the newcomer that has excited me the most, but I have to say that I think she'll be an awful character. She looks like she will be similar to Zelda in Melee. Judging by the trailer, she has extremely weak attacks; none of them has the potential to KO and have very little knockback. Luma will help to improve her fighting style, but without him, I don't think Rosalina will even be taken seriously as a fighter.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I intend to make Rosalina one of my new main characters, as she is one of my favorite characters in the Mario universe and by far the newcomer that has excited me the most, but I have to say that I think she'll be an awful character. She looks like she will be similar to Zelda in Melee. Judging by the trailer, she has extremely weak attacks; none of them has the potential to KO and have very little knockback. Luma will help to improve her fighting style, but without him, I don't think Rosalina will even be taken seriously as a fighter.
Her properties are certainly her drawback. She might not be as highly ranked as she would be without the lightweight properties, but it could depend on how well you keep your enemies away using the luma.

Of course, we don't have percents yet for the moves.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If anything, Rosalina could potentially become an overpowered fighter when you take into account her offensive versatility and range. Being tall and light might sound bad when you look back at Melee Mewtwo, but that could end up being irrelevant if the fighters can't even safely approach Rosalina.

If the fighters don't have any efficient long range attacks, they'll pretty much be in trouble right off the bat. But again, because we don't know how strong Rosalina's attacks are, the Luma may have to be used to build up damage before Rosalina can try to send her opponents flying herself.

One thing seems certain though; the Luma could be used to save Rosalina from any grab games that she gets caught in, potentially rendering chain grabs useless against her.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
If anything, Rosalina could potentially become an overpowered fighter when you take into account her offensive versatility and range. Being tall and light might sound bad when you look back at Melee Mewtwo, but that could end up being irrelevant if the fighters can't even safely approach Rosalina.

If the fighters don't have any efficient long range attacks, they'll pretty much be in trouble right off the bat. But again, because we don't know how strong Rosalina's attacks are, the Luma may have to be used to build up damage before Rosalina can try to send her opponents flying herself.

One thing seems certain though; the Luma could be used to save Rosalina from any grab games that she gets caught in, potentially rendering chain grabs useless against her.
I don't think that Rosalina will be so much a weakling as she will be a slow attacker w/ little mobility.

In the trailer, her jumps look amazing, but what about her air speed? And I honestly doubt Rosalina will be mobile on the ground. From what I see, her style is sit around and have her Luma fight. While Luma looks pretty effective, once Luma is KOed, she is a sitting duck. And while yes she can summon another one, but in the trailer, I think the 2-3 second wand twirl was the animation for summoning Luma. She's bait to being attacked and she has such a large open window (now if she was invincible during the animation, then that would be OP as heck). Furthermore, I wonder if Rosalina STARTS with Luma at the beginning of a match without having to summon one manually. If she doesn't, then I can see characters w/ long range projectiles that induce stun (so no Fox) can prevent her from summoning, such as Falco, Pit, and Mega Man. Rosalina looks like she'll counter a lot of characters in close range, but characters that outspeed her attack wise (Fox), can outmanuever her (Marth, Sonic), or can outcamp her and not worry about their projectiles being reflected back at them too much(Samus, Mega Man, Falco) should be able to handle her solidly.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina does have some fast attacks though (u-tilt, d-smash, and d-air, just to name a few), so even if her movement speed isn't all that impressive, her attack speed may easily make up for it. It should also be noted that Rosalina may be able to summon a new Luma, even while taunting, so there's always the chance that the Luma summoning will be quite fast.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Rosalina does have some fast attacks though (u-tilt, d-smash, and d-air, just to name a few), so even if her movement speed isn't all that impressive, her attack speed may easily make up for it. It should also be noted that Rosalina may be able to summon a new Luma, even while taunting, so there's always the chance that the Luma summoning will be quite fast.
From what I see the dsmash looks great. Zelda's dsmash is great, and that move has no range. Rosalina's actually HAS range. The up tilt and the dair look like they have little horizontal range, which is unfortunate for Rosalina. And mobility is a very crucial factor in a game like Smash. Zelda is a horrible character because of 2 big reasons. 1. Fairly tall, fairly light, and floaty, and 2. Very poor mobility. King Dedede, an otherwise great character, is hindered because of his horrendous mobility. Olimar has bad mobility, and while it isn't too bad (seeing as he's so small and its fairy difficult to hit him) I'd say its the one thing that keeps him from being an equal to Meta Knight, if not better than him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina does offer more battle options than Zelda though, so she could potentially succeed where Zelda heavily fails at, even with the downside of being tall and light. Sure, having high mobility may have its upsides, but that may not even be necessary for Rosalina if most of her attacks are too fast and wide-ranging for most fighters to cope with.

On one final note, Rosalina's mobility might not be all that terrible if it turns out that she's able to keep up with Lucario's running, but we won't know for certain until the game's release.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Rosalina does offer more battle options than Zelda though, so she could potentially succeed where Zelda heavily fails at, even with the downside of being tall and light. Sure, having high mobility may have its upsides, but that may not even be necessary for Rosalina if most of her attacks are too fast and wide-ranging for most fighters to cope with.

On one final note, Rosalina's mobility might not be all that terrible if it turns out that she's able to keep up with Lucario's running, but we won't know for certain until the game's release.
Thats what I'm saying though. Does she have enough fast moves? So far all of her attacks have some sort of start up lag. Especially the ones that utilize Luma. Most characters should get around her great range by outmanuevering her (Sonic comes to mind).

Another thing. If Rosalina's Luma gets killed, then she has to summon a new one. And like I said before the summoning takes like 2 seconds. Falco/Samus/Mega Man/any character w/ projectiles that stun can camp her and prevent her from doing so. Her options to deal w/ this are shield (keep shooting), spot dodge (keep shooting), short hop airdodge (keep shooting), jump (jump and keep shooting), reflector (which looks very ineffective as far as reflectors go, so keep shooting), roll (keep shooting), or take the hits (which is the worst option). Her options are covered. She can't summon a Luma at all, and all of her range attacks require a Luma. She's essentially helpless. Not to mention even in close range, she's vulnerable. She's a tall target. She'll get comboed easily. She's easy to KO too. And now she's vulnerable to grab combos such as the Ice Climbers' infinite. Without Luma, Rosalina should completely fall apart. She's like Olimar in that sense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You do need to keep in mind though, that the Luma may be able to be summoned, regardless of Rosalina's situation. In that type of scenario, it might not take long before any chain grab maneuvers get stopped in their tracks.

Remember, we don't exactly know how long it takes for the Luma to be summoned, because the action that Rosalina was doing when the Luma got summoned may actually be one of her taunts (she made that same animation again, but no Luma popped up); the Luma summon could easily be instantaneous for all we know.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
You do need to keep in mind though, that the Luma may be able to be summoned, regardless of Rosalina's situation. In that type of scenario, it might not take long before any chain grab maneuvers get stopped in their tracks.

Remember, we don't exactly know how long it takes for the Luma to be summoned, because the action that Rosalina was doing when the Luma got summoned may actually be one of her taunts (she made that same animation again, but no Luma popped up); the Luma summon could easily be instantaneous for all we know.
First off, unless Rosalina becomes invincible summoning Luma (which would be more OP than Meta Knight), when any character does an attack, its interruptible by another attack, grab, etc. A chaingrab, when perfectly executed (especially from someone like Ice Climbers) will mean Rosalina will have no chance to summon Luma, and each time she tries, she'll be interrupted by the grab.

And true, she does do the wand twirl thing again, but could it be that Luma was somewhere else, beating up some poor soul.? Note that Olimar can do the animation for Pikmin Pluck even if he already has 6 Pikmin w/ him. Its just that when he has 6 Pikmin an he performs the move, no Pikmin appears. Perhaps Rosalina can do the same?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Until we get a better idea on the whole situation, all we can really do is theorize on what we've seen so far. For all we know, it could be impossible to stop the Luma summoning if it's instantaneous, even if Rosalina flinches.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys considered the possibility that luma automatically summons without using a move? Perhaps it's timed and there's actually no move for summoning him! That would explain the fact that she later uses the animation as a taunt.

I know it's farfetche'd, but it's a definite possibility.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being forced to summon a Luma doesn't sound too good if you asked me, especially once you involve Kirby with the matter.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that makes sense. I wouldn't prefer it either, it just seemed like something to bring up

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So she's a large target that's light weight and possibly floaty. While I believe she'll be overall great, I can see her having difficulty against characters who manage to get in and pressure the crap out of her, especially if they're good at juggling.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
So she's a large target that's light weight and possibly floaty. While I believe she'll be overall great, I can see her having difficulty against characters who manage to get in and pressure the crap out of her, especially if they're good at juggling.
I can also see her struggle with characters that can out camp her.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i noticed in the trailer, that when rosalina uses her warp field while airborne, she slows down slightly.

i wonder if she could use this to momentum cancel?

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I don't think she will be heavy. She is supposed to be a puppeteer character: once you get close she will be screwed... and the best way of accomplishing that is making her light. She sin't a glass cannon, so being a fast faller wouldn't work.

Mewtwo had the same deal. He was heavy in his games but light in Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think she will be heavy. She is supposed to be a puppeteer character: once you get close she will be screwed... and the best way of accomplishing that is making her light. She sin't a glass cannon, so being a fast faller wouldn't work.

Mewtwo had the same deal. He was heavy in his games but light in Smash.
Sakurai clearly stated himself that Rosalina is lightweight, along with being floaty. We just don't know how light she is when compared to the other lightweight characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am just hoping her weight is more less like Samus or even heavier. I love me some heavy characters and I really want to main Rosalina. Edit: Wait, she was confirmed to be a light character? Damn... Gotta make an exception for her then. Well, another one, it isn't like I play only have characters. lol

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I play all the girl characters, so you know I will at least second her. How many of her taunts have been shown?
?_?
One is confirmed to be a taunt. However, there's another animation that looks like it's taunt material, but there has been some miscommunication with how the Luma Summon special operates.

Top Bottom