• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Stage Analysis Thread *Analyzing Town & City *

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Given that Rosalina has a top tier juggle game I'd say Halberd works to her advantage since it has the lowest ceiling in the game. Dabuz got some kills on Will's DK in the neighborhood of 50%, it was insane.

The semi-permeable nature of the flying platform makes it harder for her to sweetspot a recovery, but it also lets her shark if she wants.

Definitely a 4/5 if not a full 5/5. Only thing holding me back is that as a floaty character herself Rosalina also dies super easy off the top.

OneManArmy77

Smash Rookie
Hey, signed up so I can give back a bit to an awesome community. I think Kongo Jungle is one of Rosa's worst stages overall, as it has the highest ceiling out of all of the stages by a wide margin IIRC. That being said, she can shark somewhat well, and can use the platforms to her advantage. Its been said before, but she isnt really bad on any stage. If we are using a scale to rate these, this is likely a 2 or 2.5/5 simply due to the amount of stages that she is better in.

Probably too late to vote on the others, but if I had to make a ranking of how the stages go for her, it would be

Best: Halberd, Town and City, Battlefield and Smashville

Worst: Kongo, Omega and FDs

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Hey, signed up so I can give back a bit to an awesome community. I think Kongo Jungle is one of Rosa's worst stages overall, as it has the highest ceiling out of all of the stages by a wide margin IIRC. That being said, she can shark somewhat well, and can use the platforms to her advantage. Its been said before, but she isnt really bad on any stage. If we are using a scale to rate these, this is likely a 2 or 2.5/5 simply due to the amount of stages that she is better in.

Probably too late to vote on the others, but if I had to make a ranking of how the stages go for her, it would be

Welcome to the boards as a poster! On topic, I think that the barrel suits her well though, it is very managable to hit it with Rosalina's recovery. I don't like the middle part of the stage, it feels it feels not safe to do jabs with Luma if you're standing on the higher parts.

Also a bit off-topic, is there a topic somewhere on the boards where there's detailed information about all the omega stages?

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029

agree with you, think also bad is duck hunt because it is similiar to FD but halberd is medium,not best because for the recovery and for the switch change.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Man I freaking hate L.C. I've probably played on this stage 10 times with Rosalina it's a pain. That ledge is a problem I mean problem. I because of stupid recovery angles oh good luck recovering from underneath. Screw this stage and those stupid ledges and crap. Although this maybe a decent stage to take characters like MM Yoshi and Ness.

OneManArmy77

Smash Rookie
I dont think LC is terrible, but it isnt great either. I think its just that a lot of people hate LC to begin with and that gets factored in. If you like LC and can practice it, its probably a decent field, and our up tilt and up smash can hit through the platform without problem. In addition, we dont have projectiles that are really affected by LC, so taking projectile users here isnt the worst of ideas either.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
the problem of lylat is the plattaform

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If you're confident in aiming your up special, Lylat isn't so bad. I, at least, am not inclined to die while recovering here. You can use the platform lay-out like a poor man's Battlefield, and while the tilted ground is obnoxious in how it eats Shooting Star Bits, it's not so bad overall and messes with your opposition as well. Lylat is also a stage a lot of players are *very* uncomfortable on, and I like to use that to my advantage. Just think about it. If you have practiced well on Lylat and know you won't SD when recovering, that can't happen to you. If you figure half of the players have not done such practice and have a non-trivial chance of SDing when recovering on Lylat, what happens when you go to it? The stage is probably close to fair in most match-ups so a typical outcome here is neither better nor worse than what you would have gotten otherwise, but you have a random chance of being given a free win when your opponent messes up but no random chance of losing since you practiced recovering on the stage. That's a gamble with no downsides at all, and that's why I very rarely strike Lylat Cruise in tournament. I do, however, usually find something better to counterpick.

That being said, watch out for Pikachu here as he has a lot of really clever cancels; against a smart Pikachu player who knows the tech, you might want to opt out. I also think Lylat is a pretty good Diddy stage and Diddy is already Rosalina's least favorite match-up so you might want to think about that too (I'm not sure if it's really particularly better for Diddy than other stages though; Diddy seems to do well across stages), but I can't think of any other match-up where this stage really bothers me.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I like Lylat with Rosalina due to how she is able to abuse the platforms for juggling purposes and the stage being relatively small gives us the ability to control a lot of space with luma. Even so...I am never excited to go to lylat because I know that about 10% of the time, even if I'm really careful about it, I'm going to get cheesed out by those edges. Overall a good stage but practice recovering if you wanna use it as a counterpick.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Another point in favor of Lylat despite the edges is that Launch Star goes far enough to make landing on the stage itself a viable option, especially if the opponent commits early to an offstage edgeguard attempt. Fade back a bit and angle Launch Star over the ledge. I don't think anyone in the game can get back onstage and rush Rosalina fast enough to punish, and even so we can make Luma do a bair or ftilt or something as we land for that extra layer of safety.

Mondrae205

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't take any characters that are good at recovering without needing to grab the ledges like jigglypuff here but would take characters like C. Falcon who can easily get stuck under the ledge.

OneManArmy77

Smash Rookie
If you dont like the trade offs of Halberd, Town and City is probably Rosalina's best stage. Very good platform layout means Luma is harder to kill, and the platforms are great for us to use to attack from or recover to like any other stage. Where this stage has an advantage is its higher blast ceiling, allowing a skilled Rosalina to kill via upair or upsmash at lower percents than usual. I personally think this is one of the must learn stages for any Rosalina main simply due to its simplicity and advantages while having almost no disadvantages. Plus, its innocuous appearance lets me use it against unsuspecting friendlies when I want to kick some ass :p

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Town and City is my favourite stage with Rosalina and I personally think it's her best stage.

The platforms don't really crowd the stage so it doesn't hurt Rosalina's spacing or detached Luma game at all. The platforms are conveniently placed so that you can use them to extend your juggle near the blast zone or reach an opponent up there easily to net some early kills. They are also really good at catching Luma in many different situations when he is launched.

The stage gives Rosalina a lot of versatility against her MUs because the hybrid-like nature of the stage allows her to swap to FD, Battlefield, Halberd and Smashville playstyles whenever she pleases (or when the stage changes forms), allowing her to adapt very well.

The platforms are very good for recovery mixups, as landing on one of the high platforms can be very hard to punish. This gives Rosalina more safety and helps players stay unpredictable.

Overall a very good stage for Rosalina that is good for most of her matchups. I don't like Halberd as much because other characters can benefit more from the stage than Rosalina, and the crane kills Luma 99.9% of the time if it targets you. Be sure to pick this stage in most cases when you have the opportunity.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Town and city is my preferred starter and I like this stage even more than SV. It's really a good stage for her.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Its funny because the way I've been picking stages for Rosalina has changed a lot over the time I've mained her.
At first I counterpicked Halberd/Delfino for the low ceilings but now I feel like, Halberd especially while transforming can really ruin any stage presence you've setup. I used to favor these stages for easier up-air kills but now I'm pretty against them.

Now I feel like Smashville is a very solid pick for Rosa, especially because it is the easiest stage to go underneath and recover to the other side of.

Also I thought Dreamland was a superior option over battlefield for some time. Lower ceiling and blast zones could only help. But I've kind of shifted on that thought process. I believe Battlefield is a way better Rosa pick now in spite of the lower ceiling. The larger horizontal space that the battlefield platforms occupy makes up-air landing pressure a lot stronger. On Dream land your opponent can better mix up if they are going to land on the platforms or not. Also Dream land is very difficult to scrooge underneath while doing it on Battlefield is pretty easy (not as easy as on Smashville but definitely doable in a tense match).

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I've always found Rosalina to be very good at platform stages. Battlefield, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, and Town and City seem to be home for her due to her Uair juggling abilities. Having played Neos and Xaltis in tournaments, I can safely say she does better on those stages.

My question is which stages are her achilles heel? Town and City definitely leaves her the advantage, but what are the weaker stages and how do you tend to play on them?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've always found Rosalina to be very good at platform stages. Battlefield, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, and Town and City seem to be home for her due to her Uair juggling abilities. Having played Neos and Xaltis in tournaments, I can safely say she does better on those stages.

My question is which stages are her achilles heel? Town and City definitely leaves her the advantage, but what are the weaker stages and how do you tend to play on them?
I think she's a lot like Sheik in that there probably aren't any outright bad stages for her, but she gets very little out of FD IMO. (Unless you're a character she just dumps on but that's more of a matchup issue, not a stage one.) I'd also suggest Kongo Jungle 64 for the high ceiling, but she can use the platforms to still juggle even if it doesn't kill so that's sort of a tossup. Maybe Wuhu Island, for the elongated horizontal (instead of vertical) transformations, or Lylat Cruise for the tilting to mess up Luma placement? Kind of spitballing, it's late.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
She's got bad stages in some specific matchups. Some fast fallers can use platforms more effectively for landing than Rosalina can for juggling. However against regular fall speed characters and heavies the platforms make it easier to setup up juggle traps.

For example, I'd strike and ban Battlefield against Fox, but leave it open and pick it against DK.

IMO, FD is a good stage regardless of the character because it's long, which gives you room to set up your wall, and there's no platforms for opponents to recover onto when you've got them in a Luma trap. (neutral-b->pause->rapid jab or jabx9->rapid jab above the ledge)

Wuhu is excellent in customs with shooting star bit and Luma warp covering a lot of ground during many of the transformations.

I dislike Castle siege on a personal level because of all the Luma hitlag on the pillars. I also play with customs, so the pillars block shooting start bit. The unlevel starting and ending transformation bothers me too.

Lylat tilting messes up my Luma placement, and the platforms are too low to shark below them as effectively on say... battlefield or dreamland. I've died to messing up my recovery during stage tilting as well, but much moreso back before you could slide up the wall.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
She's got bad stages in some specific matchups. Some fast fallers can use platforms more effectively for landing than Rosalina can for juggling. However against regular fall speed characters and heavies the platforms make it easier to setup up juggle traps.

For example, I'd strike and ban Battlefield against Fox, but leave it open and pick it against DK.

IMO, FD is a good stage regardless of the character because it's long, which gives you room to set up your wall, and there's no platforms for opponents to recover onto when you've got them in a Luma trap. (neutral-b->pause->rapid jab or jabx9->rapid jab above the ledge)

Wuhu is excellent in customs with shooting star bit and Luma warp covering a lot of ground during many of the transformations.

I dislike Castle siege on a personal level because of all the Luma hitlag on the pillars. I also play with customs, so the pillars block shooting start bit. The unlevel starting and ending transformation bothers me too.

Lylat tilting messes up my Luma placement, and the platforms are too low to shark below them as effectively on say... battlefield or dreamland. I've died to messing up my recovery during stage tilting as well, but much moreso back before you could slide up the wall.
What about against Ike? Which stages would you ban and which do you prefer?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What about against Ike? Which stages would you ban and which do you prefer?
Ike seems to fit into the "I want to juggle you using platforms" category. Town and City and Battlefield are probably the best starters for Rosalina, while FD and Smashville probably favor Ike more.

I'd pick Delphino/Battlefield/Dreamland against Ike, and ban some combination of Lylat, FD, Smashville.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom