• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Stage Analysis Thread *Analyzing Town & City *

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Rosalina Stage Analysis

News:
Analyzing Town & City

Note: If you wish to talk generally about stages for Rosalina include non-legal ones, go to this thread.

Welcome to the Stage analysis thread! In this iteration of Smash bros, we have quite a bit of stages to choose from.
It can be a bit overwhelming to players who only stick to Final destination/For Glory stages.

Stages are one of the most important factors second to characters. Counterpicks can be a big deal as they can provide advantages to characters over others. Little Mac, for example, probably doesn't want to go to stages like Kongo Jungle or Duck hunt due to the amount of jumping required.

Due to this, it is very important to know three things when it comes to Rosalina and the stages she plays on.

1. What are her best stages? How do you take advantage of it?

2. What are her worst stages, what do you need to use your bans on?

3. If she can't play on her best stages, what can she do to make the most of the stage she is on?

We will hopefully all work together to answer these question on this topic.

Schedule:

We'll analyze one stage each week from Monday to Saturday with Sunday to tally everything together. A week should give you enough time to plan to play a stage with other people whether it be online or offline.

If personal business interferes, follow the schedule to see who will be next and plan your analysis ahead of time.

All of this is based off U.S Central time on my end.

Data Submission:

You are more then welcome to back up your claim with link/video evidence. Multiple embedded videos could cause lag so it is highly encourage to just link them.

Discussion Rules:

No flamming, trolling or spamming.

Format:

The recommend format is as follows:

1.Benefits
2. Negatives
3. Additional notes
4. Overall score

Speaking of which, the overall score is based on a scale of 1.0-5.0.

5 - A stage Rosalina can use the stage as a huge advantage.
4 - A stage Rosalina can get a minor advantage
3 - A stage where Rosalina doesn't get any benefit or drawback.
2 - A stage where Rosalina will have to work hard on the stage
1 - A stage where it is almost un-winnable for Rosalina.

You are allowed to use decimal places, but keep it in the tenths place.

When getting the average, all the ratios would be added up, and then divided.

Example:

(3 + 2.3 + 4 + 3.4 + 2.9) / 5 = 3.12

Post Updates:

I'll be updating this post. If personal business gets in the way, I'll try to get @Mario_and_Sonic_Guy to help with updating it. I will resume helping when I get back. Remember to always follow schedule though.

We are going to be using the Apex Ruleset for our starting schedule. We might look at other common legal stages though.

Schedule:

Week 1 (1/19/2015 - 1/25/2015) {Final Destination & Omegas}
Week 2 (1/26/2015 - 2/01/2015) {Battlefield}
Week 3 (2/02/2015 - 2/08/2015) {Smashville}
Week 4 (2/09/2015 - 2/15/2015) {Castle Siege}
Week 5 (2/16/2015 - 2/22/2015) {Duck Hunt}
Week 6 (2/23/2015 - 3/01/2015) {Halberd}
Week 7 (3/02/2015 - 3/08/2015) {Kongo Jungle 64}
Week 8 (3/09/2015 - 3/15/2015) {Lylat Cruise}
Week 9 (3/16/2015 - 3/22/2015) {Town & City}

Results:
Final Destination:
Omegas:
Battlefield:
Smashville:
Castle Siege:
Duck Hunt:
Halberd:
Kongo Jungle 64:
Lylat Cruise:
Town & City:

Tips:

It is highly recommended you play at least some matches with human players to get a feel for the stage. Also be sure to check out this thread: Ceiling Height Research

Things to look out for include:

1. Chances for Luma to get out of tumble earlier due to platform height?
2. Chances for Luma to get saved due to non-static elements of a stage?
3. Places for Rosalina to aim her recovery other then the ledge?
4. Due to Rosalina's floaty nature, a stage with wider blast zones are more beneficial. Check the ceiling research thread for more details on vertical blastzones.

Lastly, some opposing character get a better advantage then you on certain stages. If you know of these characters, make sure to talk about them when you are posting your analysis. Nothing too fancy, just make sure to say something like, "if facing x character, strike anyway because y."

Closing:

I will be linking the corresponding general analysis from the competitive boards when that stage comes up. Remember to be as fair and accurate as possible.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Is this thread open for discussion? I'll assume so since the title specifies FD.

For starters, I don't think Rosalina really suffers on FD. She's already a fairly defensive character and no platforms means opponents have only two ways to approach: run or jump. GPull means projectile camping her is right out, although fast and midrange projectiles can put her in uncomfortable situations where using GPull makes her vulnerable anyway. However, Rosalina's size, disjoints, and stage control also mean that without platforms she can't really leverage some of her strengths to their fullest. And some characters (Little Mac) are good enough on FD that it's probably worth striking it regardless. IDK enough about the rest of the cast to really know who else excels enough here to be worth burning a strike.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Is this thread open for discussion? I'll assume so since the title specifies FD.
Hmm? Could that be a reason people haven't come? Do you know how to make it look more open?

For starters, I don't think Rosalina really suffers on FD. She's already a fairly defensive character and no platforms means opponents have only two ways to approach: run or jump. GPull means projectile camping her is right out, although fast and midrange projectiles can put her in uncomfortable situations where using GPull makes her vulnerable anyway. However, Rosalina's size, disjoints, and stage control also mean that without platforms she can't really leverage some of her strengths to their fullest. And some characters (Little Mac) are good enough on FD that it's probably worth striking it regardless. IDK enough about the rest of the cast to really know who else excels enough here to be worth burning a strike.
Pretty good stuff. Do you have a score and/or other characters that players should strike this stage for?

Calling @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos @ HeroMystic HeroMystic @ Dabuz Dabuz @ ChikoLad ChikoLad for more opinions.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hmm? Could that be a reason people haven't come? Do you know how to make it look more open?
It should be fine now. It has replies and that's probably enough.

Pretty good stuff. Do you have a score and/or other characters that players should strike this stage for?
I'll be dull and say 3/5 for no clear advantage or disadvantage. Basically I think that while Rosalina functions just fine on FD, she can probably do better somewhere else. Or maybe that's just me finding FD kind of boring and preferring platforms in general.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, should we take the opportunity to discuss Omegas or are they going to be a separate entry? Granted, the only real difference we care about is how easy/hard they make it to aim Launch Star.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, should we take the opportunity to discuss Omegas or are they going to be a separate entry? Granted, the only real difference we care about is how easy/hard they make it to aim Launch Star.
Yeah, sounds like a good idea, I'll change the title to reflect this.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've kind of been abstaining from competitive discussion so I won't have much input.

My opinion on the current point of discussion can be boiled down to - FD is technically one of Rosalina's worst stages but that's not to say she's particularly bad on it, she just can't do anything too fancy with the environment. You'll still do fine if you're good with Rosalina.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Only other major thing about Omega forms is that the ones that go all the way down like the Punch Out one make it a little easier for our opponents to recover if they can wall jump. Especially Falco and Diddy Kong, they have the best wall jumps.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I always ban FD. I don't think it's so much "bad" for Rosalina as every other stage is just better. She has a fantastic platform game and can utilize transforming stages well, and since she is better at vertical gameplay than horizontal gameplay, the flat horizontal structure of FD is a downside. I don't think the difference between Omegas matters for her; Launch Star is a plenty flexible recovery to aim at any ledge including Lylat Omega's ledges and Rosalina's extremely high traction isn't meaningfully impacted by grass. If you have to play on an Omega though and get to pick, go for Halberd Omega; the thin area near the ledges lets her uair through the stage a bit for some shenanigans that make it easier to get back on.

Also, this isn't a character thing, but a lot of players play a lot of FG and are unusually comfortable on FD in this game. If that's not you, why would you ever not ban this stage? You're just making your opposition have an easier time by letting them play on their favorite stage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There's no way I can rate stages to tenths of decimal places, and I don't think stages actually affect match-ups for a character like Rosalina to the extent your scale's descriptions indicate (by your descriptions I'd use a 2-4 scale!). FD is maybe like 2.3 if I'm going to play along? It just makes it extra work though it's not really *that bad*. That number is very arbitrary though; don't take it as super meaningful.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm starting to like final D a bit more with Rosalina. The biggest weakness would be the layout vs some characters I will ban this stage (sonic). The lips under fd aren't too bad for recovery. I'll give the stage a 3. Vs most characters this stage shouldn't be a problem. This is probably my first strike since I prefer other stages.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I personally dislike numerical ratings in this manner. I'm one of those guys who thinks a person's words and thoughts speak for themselves.

Though I suppose this thread does need a kick start anyway. So I'll go with 3/5. She's at a slight advantage by virtue of being Rosalina, on such a basic and non-intrusive stage, but it has no platforms or anything to play around with. So Rosalina's natural perks won't be enough to carry you the whole way, while something like Battlefield gives you a substantial amount of extra tools to work with. You still have to know the character well on FD, as there is nothing between you and your opponent.

Luma is also easier to position when separated, but there isn't as much that you can do with him compared to other stages.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
There's no way I can rate stages to tenths of decimal places, and I don't think stages actually affect match-ups for a character like Rosalina to the extent your scale's descriptions indicate (by your descriptions I'd use a 2-4 scale!). FD is maybe like 2.3 if I'm going to play along? It just makes it extra work though it's not really *that bad*. That number is very arbitrary though; don't take it as super meaningful.
It was more to go along with the character match up thread.

Though, if it's that bad, I'll change it to 1-5 counting by .5 or just have 1.

I personally dislike numerical ratings in this manner. I'm one of those guys who thinks a person's words and thoughts speak for themselves.
I do too, and I will be keep track of what everyone says here, but some people do like to see numerical values.

I'll probably overhaul it.

Thanks for the criticism guys. :)

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I think FD is a great stage to bring Mac, Marth and Diddy. The lack of platforms causes them all to suffer, limited mobility options for them and forcing them to hard land, as well as to make difficult predictions, especially in the air. Though Rosalina loves platforms, it benefits these characters more than it does Rosalina. However, characters like Link, Villager and Sonic really don't mind no platforms, the former two because it allows for their multiple hitboxes to take up more ground space per projectile, and Sonic because it limits escape options and allows for his homing attack to have less room to miss. This works functionally the same as Omega Stages.

However, it should be noted that there are three types of Omega stages, Walled, slope, and no walls.
Omega with walls benefit characters with wall jumps, such as Mario, and benefit characters with Rocket recoveries, like us. However, because of this, we can't tap enemies under the stage as gimps. Notable entries are Kalos Pokemon, Great Cave Offensive, Onett and Pac-Land
No Wall stages are stages that only have a grab-ledge on the sides, with no slope or any supplement towards recovery. They tend to benefit characters with straight vertical recoveries like Sonic or Pac-Man, because it doesn't mess with their standard recovery tactics. For us, it requires us to sweetspot the ledge, allowing for easier opportunities for gimping and spiking from opponents. Notable examples include Halberd, Norfair and Lylat Cruise
Sloped stages are a bit of an in between, with a small area to supplement recovery, but still area to get caught underneath. These tend to benefit characters with inconsistent recoveries like Link, and Marth, as it takes a part of a horizontal recovery and makes it vertical. It also allows for more confusing recoveries, allowing a lower recovery and the ramp to sweet spot for us. Notable entries include Battlefield (WATCH FOR THE LEFT SIDE), FD and 75 m.

Omega stages are not all the same, and even in sloped Omegas, Smashville and Skyworld still have 2 different KINDS of slope, with different gradients and lengths. Pick an omega you like and learn it like every other stage. Though it may seem to be the same, it never is.

As for the no platforms, most of the time Rosalina does about a 4 for FD and Omega in terms of standard play.
But we already noticed that not all Omega are the same.
The only way we can really rate them differently then is by recovery, either adding or detracting to my standard score of about a 4.
So my opinion, Walls for Rosalina, 3.9-- benefits wall jump characters, but allows for lower recoveries and easier gimps
Sloped stages-- 4.5-- best stage for Rosalina because missing an edgeguard isn't a death sentence for her while it is for others
No wall-- 3.0 -- benefits other characters and puts them at an advantage in many situations dealing with recovery.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Rosa is really versatile in her ability to play on every stage, imo it's more important to factor in your opponent's strengths/ weaknesses rather than Rosa's when picking stages.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Just going to add that I would never, ever bring a Mac to FD. Why would I want to make it impossible to platform camp Mac? I honestly wouldn't bring anyone to FD since I have some serious confidence in my platform game, but Mac is literally the very last character I would ever bring to this stage.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Huh, I got tagged.

Basically, I'd go with Dabuz's synopsis and say Final Destination is not a bad stage for Rosalina, but in terms of giving her advantages, it's preferable to have platforms instead, since Rosalina has pretty good platform pressure, and it allows her to mix up her recovery. FD provides none of these things, and therefore I would categorize it as one of her least preferable stages.

That said, I would always account for how it hurts other characters more than how it would affect Rosie. No platforms means your opponent has no choice but to head straight for you, meaning he has to get past Rosie's tilts, grabs, N-air, and most importantly Luma.

3/5.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Just going to add that I would never, ever bring a Mac to FD. Why would I want to make it impossible to platform camp Mac? I honestly wouldn't bring anyone to FD since I have some serious confidence in my platform game, but Mac is literally the very last character I would ever bring to this stage.
interesting. I've found every Mac knows how to use platforms really well. I found it's a defining feature of Mac, and keeping him away from platforms keeps him predictable and easy to punish. However, I'd love to here why you wouldn't bring Mac in more detail =]

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
interesting. I've found every Mac knows how to use platforms really well. I found it's a defining feature of Mac, and keeping him away from platforms keeps him predictable and easy to punish. However, I'd love to here why you wouldn't bring Mac in more detail =]
IIRC the only platforms Mac can easily get to are the lower ones on Battlefield. The upper one is obviously too high for him to attack from the ground without up special (although I think a double jump barely gets him there too). Smashville's platform is too high for him to shark with usmash, and he can forget about anything on Town & City, but the stage turns into FD Lite between forms so it may work out for him anyway.

But I'm digressing slightly. While Mac may have the tools to work around platforms given the right layout, I see little point in making his job any easier than it needs to be and literally handing him his best stage in the game on a platter.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Sure. I fight Mac like I fight Ice Climbers. I try to get a lead and then time him out by camping platforms. Mac can usmash a lot of platforms well, but if the platform is too high (BF's middle platform, the non-moving Kongo platforms, Duck Hunt's tree) or moves in a way to disrupt Mac's ability to pressure from below (SV's platform) he really can't rely on that and has to jump at me. Mac's aerials are horrible and while his uppercut and counter are non-horrible they're huge commitments. I just keep up the defenses and punish him whenever he overextends with those punishes often pushing him off-stage and extending my lead even more (but even if not, every second that passes is progress toward my win; I am primarily playing for a timeout). If he manages to get on the platform with me (which isn't easy for him to do safely!), I just get off, he has to jump again to follow off the platform, and even if he manages to do it safely my next move is going to be to jump right back on the platform and reset the situation.

None of that is even Rosalina specific either; my basic anti-Mac strategy is all about the stage and just laming him out on the basis that he can't viably jump at people. Rosalina probably beats Mac on FD because she's good and he's not, but she would have to play an interactive match the entire game whereas on a stage like BF or SV she can just win without trying very hard by doing the same basic lame thing everyone else does you just have to not care when he uairs Luma since it doesn't matter if Luma dies when you're just timing him out anyway. Even if the platforms are temporary like Town & City, it's just an option to turn off gameplay for a while that I have and he doesn't, and most transforming stages will be like that too so that's pretty good for "not Little Mac" (I haven't had the opportunity to try laming Mac out on most transformers, but I have ideas!). I could see an argument for liking FD against him over Lylat since those platforms are actually low enough for him to hit, but I just wouldn't pick Lylat against him either.

But yeah, if you intended to actually fight Mac, I could see the case for FD. I just haven't seen any Little Mac able to deal with the hardcore lame out on high platforms in any way other than "never be behind" which is awfully demanding on Little Mac.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
IIRC the only platforms Mac can easily get to are the lower ones on Battlefield. The upper one is obviously too high for him to attack from the ground without up special (although I think a double jump barely gets him there too). Smashville's platform is too high for him to shark with usmash, and he can forget about anything on Town & City, but the stage turns into FD Lite between forms so it may work out for him anyway.

But I'm digressing slightly. While Mac may have the tools to work around platforms given the right layout, I see little point in making his job any easier than it needs to be and literally handing him his best stage in the game on a platter.
Sure. I fight Mac like I fight Ice Climbers. I try to get a lead and then time him out by camping platforms. Mac can usmash a lot of platforms well, but if the platform is too high (BF's middle platform, the non-moving Kongo platforms, Duck Hunt's tree) or moves in a way to disrupt Mac's ability to pressure from below (SV's platform) he really can't rely on that and has to jump at me. Mac's aerials are horrible and while his uppercut and counter are non-horrible they're huge commitments. I just keep up the defenses and punish him whenever he overextends with those punishes often pushing him off-stage and extending my lead even more (but even if not, every second that passes is progress toward my win; I am primarily playing for a timeout). If he manages to get on the platform with me (which isn't easy for him to do safely!), I just get off, he has to jump again to follow off the platform, and even if he manages to do it safely my next move is going to be to jump right back on the platform and reset the situation.

None of that is even Rosalina specific either; my basic anti-Mac strategy is all about the stage and just laming him out on the basis that he can't viably jump at people. Rosalina probably beats Mac on FD because she's good and he's not, but she would have to play an interactive match the entire game whereas on a stage like BF or SV she can just win without trying very hard by doing the same basic lame thing everyone else does you just have to not care when he uairs Luma since it doesn't matter if Luma dies when you're just timing him out anyway. Even if the platforms are temporary like Town & City, it's just an option to turn off gameplay for a while that I have and he doesn't, and most transforming stages will be like that too so that's pretty good for "not Little Mac" (I haven't had the opportunity to try laming Mac out on most transformers, but I have ideas!). I could see an argument for liking FD against him over Lylat since those platforms are actually low enough for him to hit, but I just wouldn't pick Lylat against him either.

But yeah, if you intended to actually fight Mac, I could see the case for FD. I just haven't seen any Little Mac able to deal with the hardcore lame out on high platforms in any way other than "never be behind" which is awfully demanding on Little Mac.
I think the miscommunication is about how Mac gets on the platform. I completely understand what you're saying about Mac getting momentum via platforms (or lack thereof) vs our momentum via platforms. In that situation, everything you're saying is correct, and indisputable.
But what about Mac defensively? What about when he's trying to land, or when he does land. With platforms on any stage, he now has doubled his mobility, giving him far more options to lead, as well as less time in the air. When landing on a platform, he's now forcing me to come to him if I'm below, and that's the last thing you want with a Mac, or really any dominant character. And If I'm in the air and I'm landing after him, then what? If I wiff an attack I'm dead, and if I try and recover far he chases me down and punishes almost everytime. The Mac matchup is about him coming to you. Mac is an agro character, and he WANTS to do that. If you beat him at his own game, you've won the match before the stocks are out.
I guess it's about how you play the Mac matchup. In a defensive situation, I completely agree with you guys. But I've found with my own playstyle that when I give a Mac respect and ease the pressure, he capitalizes. That to me is embarrassing because Mac isn't a hard matchup for us in my opinion.
Regardless, I'm thrilled that your playstyle allows you to do something so much different than mine, because it really shows the versatility of our character.

Still, I find FD situational still, not our best stage, but not a bad stage. I just think it's a stage you bring certain opponents to, but not one you choose when you're unsure.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
It's hard to consider this stage without considering the other standard neutral stages. I almost certainly won't pick FD as a counterpick, so it's solely a matter of whether or not I strike it.

There's only one factor I have to decide from:

Basically, how does this differ from smashville that I would pick FD over Smashville?
Well, Pikachu can QAC on Smashville's moving platform (if this really even matters much) so.. FD for Pikachu. Everyone else, however.. The moving platform can randomly save Luma, which slightly puts Smashville above FD for me. Plus, Rosa gets some use out of landing traps with the platform.

FD has ONE small advantage no other stage does. EXTREME temporary background brightness. If you're on a high contrast/brightness TV it can be mildly beneficial going to FD. Luma will sometimes hide in the background. This isn't a huge advantage but I've noticed it, as have others.

I might ban it if I have nothing else I feel like banning and it's a projectile character like Yoshi.

I guess I should test the horizontal blast zones FD vs SV. I feel like they're identical, the vertical blast zones are at least.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It's hard to consider this stage without considering the other standard neutral stages. I almost certainly won't pick FD as a counterpick, so it's solely a matter of whether or not I strike it.

There's only one factor I have to decide from:

Basically, how does this differ from smashville that I would pick FD over Smashville?
Well, Pikachu can QAC on Smashville's moving platform (if this really even matters much) so.. FD for Pikachu. Everyone else, however.. The moving platform can randomly save Luma, which slightly puts Smashville above FD for me. Plus, Rosa gets some use out of landing traps with the platform.

FD has ONE small advantage no other stage does. EXTREME temporary background brightness. If you're on a high contrast/brightness TV it can be mildly beneficial going to FD. Luma will sometimes hide in the background. This isn't a huge advantage but I've noticed it, as have others.

I might ban it if I have nothing else I feel like banning and it's a projectile character like Yoshi.

I guess I should test the horizontal blast zones FD vs SV. I feel like they're identical, the vertical blast zones are at least.

The platform on SV doesn't have to be random. It's all about stage position. You should be away of that platform and play next too it if needed. At least that's what I try to do.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
The platform on SV doesn't have to be random. It's all about stage position. You should be away of that platform and play next too it if needed. At least that's what I try to do.
what I mean is, you can't always control which direction Luma is hit by your opponent. If you could I suppose ideally you'd prevent Luma from being hit, but due to random chance sometimes the platform is in the right place at the right time to save Luma from it's free fall animation of doom.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
what I mean is, you can't always control which direction Luma is hit by your opponent. If you could I suppose ideally you'd prevent Luma from being hit, but due to random chance sometimes the platform is in the right place at the right time to save Luma from it's free fall animation of doom.
Ah I see what you mean now.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I didn't realize we had moved on to the next discussion. Battlefieldis a great stage for Rosalina but it doesn't come with out it's fault. Mainly the platforms can make it harder for Rosalina to land safely on the stage. So with that in mind you're probably not going to want to take a character like shiek her. The platforms are amazing for Rosalina and puts people in really awkward situations and you can cover a lot of the map. I'll give this stage a 4.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield is one of our Bread and Butter stages. It's a great stage to take almost any character as a starting stage. Not only does Rosie benefit from platforms, but how your opponent plays against you here really decides the NEXT stage your should be on. Great sloped ledges underneath allow lots of room for teching and safe recovery, and opportunities for Luma disconnect that is harder for opponents to capitalize upon without being severely punished. A common strat I do for Battlefield is to immediately jump up, soft Luma Shot, and go back below the platform. If my opponent chases Luma, I have plenty of opportunities for Up-smash and Up-air juggling, while if he chases me, then it's easy for me to move around and call luma back, knowing now his main strategy is to avoid Luma.
This stage is great against characters like Villager, Jiggs, or Sonic. The platforms disrupt common combo tactics they have immensely.
Don't bring Marth, Falcon, or Sheik to this stage, as they love the mobility it offers and this stage benefits them a lot.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Rosalina just dominates the stage control game on Battlefield. The space you need to control if often quantized by the platform lay-out, and the smallest unit of it (the length of a platform, approximately) is easily entirely covered between your two characters. Rosalina has a million ways to pressure the platforms from below (usmash, utilt, uair are all extremely good), and she can land on them more safely than most by using her dair to hit through the platform as she comes down and landing on a platform means you usually risk eating an aerial and not a grounded move which can keep you safer (Seriously, how do the platforms make it harder to land against Sheik? They make it easier!). I feel pretty confident picking this stage in any match-up; I don't feel like "mobility" characters really get a lot out of it since they can run around the fringes all they want Rosalina has the important space on lock. Marth probably likes this stage since he controls the platforms well too, but Rosalina is a way better core character than Marth so she doesn't really mind a head to head challenge of core strengths.

The only reason I would not counterpick this stage is if another stage had something specific I wanted more (like ceiling heights or pass-through floors) or if I felt my opponent was unduly comfortable here. Like if I know my opponent just plays all of the time on BF/FD/SV, I would be hesitant to pick this stage and forfeit my stage knowledge advantage, but that's just the stage being popular making it an undesirable pick and not anything having to do with Rosalina.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm thinking of just getting rid of the score idea all together. Anyone agree?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't really mind it.

SV is my favorite stage as Rosalina and it's probably her best IMo. The platform gives her a lot of coverage. Positioning yourself so that luma if hit will land is a pretty powerful advantage. It's not an exact science but it's still offers something most other stages do not. Then there's platform for recovery landing on the platform instesd of recovering low is a good switch up. Rosalina loves platforms and SV is no different. Good all around on a lot of aspect for rosie I'll give it a 5

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Eh, it's whatever. Your topic, your rules.

IIRC Smashville's platform is at the perfect height so that Rosalina can run off, immediately airdodge, and do the autocanceled Luma aerial trick. The platform can sometimes save Luma when it gets hit offstage. And that's all I've got.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I think Smashville is quite a good stage for Rosalina, with moving platforms, she can deal more damage with that.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm not much of a fan of this stage. While the transitions allow for early kills that's about it. Umm where you start you have 2 platforms. Which is always good for Rosalina. But that's about it the blast zones on the side seem pretty shallow. Nothing much to say here. I don't like the slope in the middle.

The first transition has a walk off which is whatever . Lots of platforms which is good for Rosalina. The ceiling is one of the highest in the game which takes away some of Rosalinas kill potential. I'm not sure if the platforms stop luma . If they do then tihs stage isn't looking very good.

The 2nd transition is basically fd or omega gaur plains. Nothing really special here but high blast zones once again. Potential cp for diddy but there's stages I'd rather take him instead. But yeah I'm not really feeling this stage. I'll give it a 2 maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
so i dont love castle siege but the walk off section is great because luma can't fall off an edge and die.

it's up there with one of my top counter picks but i have a really hard time utilizing this stage correctly. anyone have insights?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Duck Hunt is an interesting stage. For starters, it's quite spacious, so Rosalina can play keep away very safely. On top of that, you have platforms in the form of tree branches and the bush, as well as the dog in the background himself, so she can perform a few of her shenanigans that she could on the likes of Battlefield or Smashville.

Recovery isn't an issue either, as the blast boxes on either side are close to the stage, and there are no lips to get caught under when using Launch Star. As for Luma, there are a few platforms, especially the high ones on the left side for Luka to recover from the tumble state, and because the stage is large, so long as you stay more or less within the center, Luma isn't going anywhere easily, usually being KO'd from damage alone. Add a lack of hazards, and you've got a stage that I believe is good for Rosalina. Goodness knows I'm a fan of it, even if it isn't my absolute favorite.

The stage is not without its flaw. One problem is that because the blast zones are close the ledges, it would take little effort to KO Rosalina off the sides. Other than that, I can't particularly fone much else wrong.

Overall, I'll give this a score of 4.5

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't play on this stage much if at all. But it's a solid stage for Rosalina. You have platforms and luma can lurk in the weeds. There isn't much here to say though. Also I like the walls since you recover a lot easier that way(I've been sding a lot lately ). Ill give this stage a 3.75.

Mondrae205

Smash Rookie
Halberd is a weird stage, for one it has a really low ceiling so she can get some early kills, on the other hand the first part has no walls so it can be easy to miss the ledge and die. The part on the halberd has ledges that are extremely easy to get stuck under. The stage hazards are good for her since she is so good at controlling space your opponent can easily get in a bad position. I rate it 4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom