• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Matchup

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Alright guys, looking for some advice/tips from fellow players. Every tournament ive been to i have been knocked out by rosalina, Ive tried a few different styles from playing super defensive to all out aggression and nothing seems to work for me.

has anyone found out how to play this matchup that can share? would greatly appreciate it

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Never been in a tournament, but I always tend to go for Luma first. Even if she shields, it doesn't protect the luma and a single hit over the edge will get rid of it for 11 seconds or so. She can't camp you since her only ranged attack is a luma shot which can be countered and puts a large portion of her power at risk, which means she has to approach you herself unless you're already offstage. The invisible rolls can be annoying and hard to read so I'd stick to jabs until you have her in a bad spot.

She's pretty tall and floaty so she dies easy if you send her straight up, and her disjointed aerial hitboxes don't cover her diagonally so you have the edge there. Her up b recovery does no damage, so if she has to use it to reach the ledge you can drop down and try to spike her without worries of her hitting you first.

Don't grab her if her luma is attached since it will just knock you away. You outrange her in every way if her Luma isn't around so abuse that.

Not much else I can say.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Never been in a tournament, but I always tend to go for Luma first. Even if she shields, it doesn't protect the luma and a single hit over the edge will get rid of it for 11 seconds or so. She can't camp you since her only ranged attack is a luma shot which can be countered and puts a large portion of her power at risk, which means she has to approach you herself unless you're already offstage. The invisible rolls can be annoying and hard to read so I'd stick to jabs until you have her in a bad spot.

She's pretty tall and floaty so she dies easy if you send her straight up, and her disjointed aerial hitboxes don't cover her diagonally so you have the edge there. Her up b recovery does no damage, so if she has to use it to reach the ledge you can drop down and try to spike her without worries of her hitting you first.

Don't grab her if her luma is attached since it will just knock you away. You outrange her in every way if her Luma isn't around so abuse that.

Not much else I can say.
this helps, greally appreciate it!

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I will second what Alaya has said. Going for Luma especially when they're separated will help you. I've noticed a few Rosalinas will start to lose their composure and show openings if you pressure Luma.

M@v

Subarashii!
I wouldn't say always go for Luma. Do it a lot at first to condition them into thinking you will always break for luma when given the chance. After a couple times though, you will want to reverse direction and go for Rosalina, especially if luma is really far away. Much easier to fight rosalina solo.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
mix ups are always a good thing. and it sounds like a solid plan. hey M@v, can i get some 3ds friendlies with you at fight pitt this weekend? would love to get some insight from a better player

M@v

Subarashii!
If I have time, sure. I'm one of the TOs so I don't know how much time I'll have for friendlies.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Depends on the positioning from the rosalina player. Honestly there is a way to see right away how skillfull the player is. A smart Rosa will never throw Luma to far away from Rosalina as this leaves both open. When Luma is close to rosalina you can try to bait the luma sho if the rosalina player won't fall for it you have to do something yourself but honestly I wouldn't take to many risks myself (which is mainly because I'm a very defensive player)

when Luma is at mid range, you can hit luma but stay safe and don't use Fsmash or other slow moves but the fast small hits this to prevent Rosalina from punishing you for hitting Luma. I like to use fair or bair myself.

When luma is at long range go for Rosalina because she is wide open.

The trick to playing rosalina is that you play with 2 different characters to allow hitboxes on multiple places and make controlling the stage much stronger, her neutral is insane thanks to this as well. Players who know this place their hitboxes so that it's harder for you to hit them and also harder for you to punish them. They play safe and smart and punish you for throwing out moves in stead of leaving themselves open by throwing Luma at you.

I honestly think Lucina isn't the best character to fight Rosalina with but If I had to choose moves I would go for the fastest ones or the ones that give better mobillity, makes it much easier to play around the luma gimmick.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
Depends on the positioning from the rosalina player. Honestly there is a way to see right away how skillfull the player is. A smart Rosa will never throw Luma to far away from Rosalina as this leaves both open. When Luma is close to rosalina you can try to bait the luma sho if the rosalina player won't fall for it you have to do something yourself but honestly I wouldn't take to many risks myself (which is mainly because I'm a very defensive player)

when Luma is at mid range, you can hit luma but stay safe and don't use Fsmash or other slow moves but the fast small hits this to prevent Rosalina from punishing you for hitting Luma. I like to use fair or bair myself.

When luma is at long range go for Rosalina because she is wide open.

The trick to playing rosalina is that you play with 2 different characters to allow hitboxes on multiple places and make controlling the stage much stronger, her neutral is insane thanks to this as well. Players who know this place their hitboxes so that it's harder for you to hit them and also harder for you to punish them. They play safe and smart and punish you for throwing out moves in stead of leaving themselves open by throwing Luma at you.

I honestly think Lucina isn't the best character to fight Rosalina with but If I had to choose moves I would go for the fastest ones or the ones that give better mobillity, makes it much easier to play around the luma gimmick.
i agree with lucina not being the best, every time ive played the match up ive lost but currently, she is my only comfortable character to play in a tournament setting. so i was looking to see what others thought.

anyway, this is good info to take into consideration, so thanks for this!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Does countering Luma while it is close to Rosalina hurt Rosalina as well? Does countering Luma's attacks while Rosalina is near leave you open? Just some things that I was wondering.

Last edited:

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Does countering Luma while it is close to Rosalina hurt Rosalina as well? Does countering Luma's attacks while Rosalina is near leave you open? Just some things that I was wondering.
The way counter works is that it makes you immune to the specific instance of damage (so basically it leaves you wide open if you try to counter multi hit attacks if you don't land the counter hit) that triggers it and also makes a sword swipe in the general direction of the enemy who used the attack (within limitations, especially below you it's easy to counter swing and not hit them from countering an upsmash or something similar). The counter attack has a hitbox just like any other attack Lucina uses, so if it connects with Luma and Rosalina they will both take damage.

If you want to see BOTH of these weaknesses of counter in action, try to fall down and counter a link's up smash.. it strikes out three times rapidly, you miss your counter, and the second two hit's still nail you for full damage.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The way counter works is that it makes you immune to the specific instance of damage (so basically it leaves you wide open if you try to counter multi hit attacks) that triggers it and also makes a sword swipe in the general direction of the enemy who used the attack (within limitations, especially below you it's easy to counter swing and not hit them from countering an upsmash or something similar). The counter attack has a hitbox just like any other attack Lucina uses, so if it connects with Luma and Rosalina they will both take damage.
Good to hear and thanks for the info. This could increase the pressure on Rosalina players to keep Luma close.

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Good to hear and thanks for the info. This could increase the pressure on Rosalina players to keep Luma close.
Right, attacks that are safe on shield (like retreating fairs) are also effective at pressuring because shielding doesn't protect Luma and she has to drop the shield to give luma any commands.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Right, attacks that are safe on shield (like retreating fairs) are also effective at pressuring because shielding doesn't protect Luma and she has to drop the shield to give luma any commands.
I meant to say "Rosalina players that keep Luma close", as a way of discouraging Rosalina players to keep Luma close.

Sorry if my post came off as wrong.

alandaband

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1349-5943-3631
The invisible rolls can be annoying and hard to read so I'd stick to jabs until you have her in a bad spot.
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but you can track "invisible" characters by touching the character's icon on the bottom screeen.

Source

Top Bottom