• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina & Luma - Custom Move Investigation

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted on Berathen.com - Go there for better formatting and pictures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosalina is a very unique character with the assistance of her little partner Luma. Rosalina is slow, but by utilizing Luma she can effectively control two positions on the stage at any one time. The bulk of Rosalina's custom moves augment her attacks so that she can control space in different ways.

Luma Warp - Neutral Special

Deals 1% damage.

The Luma Warp does exactly what the name implies. Luma warps a set distance ahead and hurts anyone he touches when he reappears. This move can not be charged like the original Luma Shot.

I like the Luma Warp for how fast it is. You can quickly position yourself and Luma however you need to. However, there are a couple downsides to this custom special. This neutral special deals next to no damage and can not be used as a ranged KO move. The Luma Warp also offers little control for overall Luma placement as you can't send him only slightly away or far away like you can with the default neutral special.

Strong Shot - Neutral Special

Deals 3% damage uncharged, 22% full charged.
KOs around 60% fully changed.

The Strong Shot is an absolutely amazing zoning and pressure tool. Like the Luma Shot, Rosalina can charge this attack to send Luma really far or not charge at all to send Luma a couple character spaces away. The main difference being that Luma slowly spins in circles as it travels the distance Rosalina set.

The Strong Shot deals more damage when fully charged and can also deal multiple hits when uncharged. The best thing about this attack is just that it allows Rosalina to completely control everything along Luma's horizontal path. This limits your opponent's options and allows Rosalina to go in very safely.

The only downside is that you can't control Luma until he finishes his slow charge. If you're caught in a grab or being combo'd then the little star will be too busy spinning away to help you out.

Drifting Star Bit - Side Special

Deals 3% damage.

The Drifting Star Bit is another crazy good attack for controlling space. This attack has Luma send out a huge Star Bit that slowly moves across the stage for a small while before vanishing. This Star Bit deals multiple hits and is a good shield pressure move.

This attack is a rather slow moving one so it isn't very intimidating.
I found the move fantastic to use when my opponent is trapped between Rosalina and Luma. The Drifting Star Bit, Luma, and Rosalina all control different spots of the stage. If the opponent attempts to avoid the giant star bit then they can be punished by Rosalina or Luma, alternatively blocking the star bit will lead into a free grab.

The Drifting Star Bit requires really good positioning in order to be useful. If you're not careful then the opponent can just punish you for using the move when Luma isn't near you. The move is technically a projectile, but it moves only slightly before vanishing and thus it is only useful while the opponent is somewhat near Luma.

Speedy Star Bit - Side Special

Deals 5% damage.

The Speedy Star Bit sends a star bit flying out from Luma at a speed you might expect from Super Mario Galaxy. This projectile is very quick and reaches nearly all the way across Final Destination.

I really like this custom special because it gives Rosalina access to a solid projectile which makes her able to zone effectively while tacking damage onto her opponents. I generally have Luma with me when I choose to use this attack, but in some situations it's pretty useful having Luma able to be a long range threat while separated from Rosalina.

Personally I don't really see any downsides to this move. It doesn't quite have the shield pressure or damage of the other attacks, but honestly that doesn't really feel like a problem.

High Star Jump - Up Special

This up special sends Rosalina higher vertically than her default recovery move. The move also sends her out a lot faster. These changes reduce the move's freedom to move in many directions, but for simple recovering the High Star Jump is the better move. The move still has a bit of horizontal movement, but its route is always the same and thus predictable.

Jump Star Attack - Up Special

Deals 13% damage.

The Jump Star Attack is obviously an offensive variation of the Launch Star special. This custom move travels less distance, but Rosalina deals multiple hits as she rises and finishes the maneuver with a powerful flip kick.

This special still has enough distance to be used reliably for recovering, but personally I feel it doesn't fit Rosalina's play style. I'd rather focus on careful positioning rather than trying to get close to my opponent to land this strange attack.

Catch And Release - Down Special

Deals 6% damage.

This custom special allows Rosalina to have a usable special attack against characters who don't have projectile attacks. She does the exact same motion as the default Gravitational Pull, but instead of pulling in projectiles it pulls in enemy characters. The damage is really light, but it does have a bit more range than Rosalina's normal attacks.

Honestly I don't really see this move as that useful, but I guess it does beat having a wasted move slot against non-projectile users.

Guardian Luma - Down Special

Deals 3% damage.

Rosalina twirls her wand around and Luma grows to a giant size for a brief moment. If Luma touches an opponent then they take a small amount of damage and knock back. Luma can also nullify projectiles in his giant state and doesn't take any damage for doing so.

Again Guardian Luma doesn't seem as useful as the default special.
This special move seems to be the balance between the other two, but its primary use it still blocking projectiles. It does the job just fine, but requires Luma in order to do so.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Overall I like the variety in Rosalina's special moves, although I expect I'll be avoiding the Jump Star Attack if it impacts the travel distance too much.

Strong Shot + Drifting Star Bit + Guardian Luma sound like an interesting combo if you want to keep a lot of hitboxes out for extended periods. And Luma Warp + Catch and Release would help if you preferred being slippery and hard to pin down.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Wow her specials are all really varied and interesting in their own right

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
This looks like how special move variations should be done. All considerable options that are situationally useful or even in preference to certain player's styles without one option being outright better. Zelda's special move variations are disappointing because quite a few of them just appear to be stinkers.

And someone very recently uploaded a few videos showing a few of Rosalina's special variations in action:

Luma Warp

Drifting Star Bit

Jump Star Attack

Last edited:

Rosalina & Luma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-3570-2002
I so hope that custom movesets aren't banned in competitive play. I could see a great use for a lot of these. Especially the Jump Star Attack.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Holy necro Batman. For future reference we have several stickied topics that may be better suited to that question than digging up a small thread where the last post dates back to before the american 3DS release.

That said, Luma Warp/Shooting Star Bit are the crowd favorite customs at this point.

Top Bottom