• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Item Play

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Gravitational Pull can be used to nullify projectiles and pull in items; items affected by the move are instantly transferred to Rosalina's ownership. This by itself isn't news, but given how easy it is for her to snag an item for her use, it sounds like a good idea to figure out the best way to use these items when given the opportunity. Since the items will be generated by the opponent, this will be on a per-matchup basis.

The following characters can create an item of some sort:

:4bowserjr:: Mechakoopa
:4diddy:: Banana Peel, possibly peanuts (they get pulled in like items; can you do anything with them?)
:4link:: Bombs
:4sheik:: Burst Grenade (hit Sheik to break the string)
:4megaman:: Metal Blade
:4gaw:: Food (Judge 7 only; does this happen with items off?)
:4pacman:: Bonus Fruit (Cherry, Strawberry, Orange, Apple, Melon, Galaxian, Bell, Key)
:4peach:: Turnips, including Mr. Saturn and Bob-Ombs on rare occasions
:4rob:: Gyro
:4robinm:: Broken spell tomes and Levin Sword
:4tlink:: Bombs
:4villager:: Wood blocks from tree
:4wario:: Bike
:4wiifit:: Header (can't pick up, but it lingers; can you still smack it around?)

What is the best way for Rosalina to make use of any of the above items if she gets one in her hand?
How does this balance against the fact that she can't use any normals (including Luma's normals) when holding an item?
Are there any advanced techniques related to items (glide tossing?) that she can find a use for?
And are there any item-specific properties that can be useful in the matchup?

Last edited:

PuzzlerBoy

Smash Rookie
I'm surprised nothing's here yet - I'll offer my thoughts and what I've learned about items because any character is great when given usage of items, especially Rosalina. Correct me if I'm wrong I s'pose.

It's good to know a little bit about how to really maximize use of items, especially since we have our awesome downB. You can obviously pick up and throw the items once you get them through whatever means, but there are some more unique items techniques that may be better in certain situations:
  1. You can "z-drop" items by hitting your grab button while in the air, which makes the item fall out of your hand and go straight down.
  2. Using an aerial right after a z-drop (and I mean RIGHT after, like as soon as the item starts falling) lets you do an aerial and regrab the item right after, maintaining a hold on the item and still allowing you to apply some pressure. You'll see this technique done by the links, megaman, pacman, peach, and maybe ROB; it doesn't seem others that can generate items do it much, though, because either their items can't be held normally, because the items don't come about often, or there's not much of a point in using the technique with them (like maybe villager would rather pocket his tree piece for example).
  3. Another technique you can use with items is jump cancel throwing (aka glide tossing as mentioned in the OP), where you jump after dashing and then immediately hit a direction and a (or use c-stick I guess) and you'll throw the item that way (and also get/maintain a bit of the momentum because you jumped). This is good for running away from someone and then surprising them with the item.
Anyways, because rosa's air game is so good, using z-drop regrab with aerial can be very useful for juggle situations and such, but if you're not juggling your opponent and are playing neutral with them, you'll want to either have a purpose in holding that item or not be holding the item in your hand so you can use your grounded moves to play neutral. There are 4 options I can think of to use an item with: you can either
1) get rid of the item,
2) hurl it at your opponent,
3) leave it around with the effects of gravitational pull on it,
4) do what you can to keep it away from the opponent.

I'll be referring to all these options when describing what to do against these spammers I mean other characters.

For Bowser Jr.'s mechakoopa, you can grab it either as it's walking towards you (which can be a little hard because it bumps in to luma delaying its movement) or you can just gravity pull it. If you gravity pull it, you can leave it alone to go with option 3, allowing the mechakoopa to present an additional hazard that bowser jr. needs to avoid now. You're also fulfilling option 4, because bowser jr. can't pull out another mechakoopa if it's out on the field in any form. If you pick it up, that's nice too, but keep in mind that it will detonate in your hand after some time, so you can either do the z-drop aerial to reset its timer before it explodes, or pick option 2 and hurl it at him to keep him from applying pressure. Option 1 isn't necessarily the best option unless the bowser jr. is good and can play catch with it (making option 2 worse than option 1), and option 4 is a bad one because bowser jr. can apply pressure because of your lack of ground moves and you can't exactly set down the item as it explodes upon recontact with the ground iirc.
For Diddy Kong's banana peel, you'll likely just want to down b and leave it be. This immediately fulfills options 3, and 4 to an extent, which helps with stage control and keeping diddy from getting stage control easily. If you grab it, you can throw it at him to apply more pressure, but you need to keep in mind it can only be thrown like twice before disappearing (although I'm pretty sure he can z-drop aerial grab it for more usage and that may or may not let it last longer, I'm not sure). If you pick option 2 and hurl it at him and it does hit him, depending on your distance, you may be able to get a follow up like upsmash or a grab or a SH luma nair or something. If it doesn't hit him for whatever reason and doesn't get in between you and him, watch out, because he's fast and may be able to punish you for the throw.
For Link, you'll want to be careful using gravitational pull because he can grab you and down throw you and uptilt you for disconcerting amounts of damage. Or punish you in other ways. If he throws the bomb and you somehow acquire it, you can do a funky trick I saw in the toon link boards where you z-drop the item within a small amount of frames before hitting the ground so that it doesn't explode on contact with the ground. This can be hard though and you don't main toon link and don't want to do make yourself do this, so unless it's on the ground and you can or have downB'd it, your other options are really just 1 and 2. He can pull another bomb so option 4 isn't really an option against him. If you have his bomb, he can choose to chuck projectiles at you. Be careful about the bomb's timer running out as you're holding it or as you're a little too close to it, as it can explode and he might even get to hit you for it.
For game&watch there's apparently not much to worry about, uh.. You can downB his apple to move it closer to you, you can run in and jump and press air dodge or just press a by it to eat it and then retreat so he doesn't punish you if he hasn't already eaten it and for some reason retreated, uh... Not much to say here I don't think :p so for food and the slew of other items, you might be in a casual setting and maybe even in a free for all with a couple of people. They may be ignoring you, so if you pop a party ball you can downB to get all the items around you and set up a temporary base of operations where you can figure out what to do with your items. You can eat the food, throw a beetle along the stage, move a hammer a little by running in to it, grab a fire bar and throw it in the air, fire shots along the field, save a metal box for later when you want to run in and give out a pounding, etc. Depending on what stage you're playing on and whether or not everyone's focusing on you because you're playing rosalina, there's a surprisingly bountiful amount of options in free for all!
For Megaman's metal blade, you'll want to not hurt your brain wondering what to do with it so just either pick option 1, MAAAAYBE option 2 if he isn't good at catching items, or guard it with option 4 if you want to be/are ok with being campy (and then grab it and go to option 1 if you've determined you're in a bad position, or if he starts really working on gaining ground on you). The metal blade disappears after a short distance after being thrown so he'll get it back really quickly if you get rid of it or if he dodges/shields it, which is unavoidable really. If you guard it, his pressure won't be as bad because he won't be able to do all the crazy item tricks with his mega blade, but it'll despawn after a relatively short time if you leave it alone (not sure how long exactly...). So I guess option 4 is great? I'm not sure, it's situation dependant and up to you!
For Pac-Man's fruit, let's take a look at some info on it all according to smash wiki...
  • Cherry Bounces twice and lands for a moment before disappearing. 4%
  • Strawberry Bounces three times and lands for a moment before disappearing. Travels slightly more total distance than the cherry. 6%
  • Orange Travels in a straight line for about roughly half the length of Final Destination's platform before disappearing. Knocks characters in a semi-spike angle. 8%
  • Apple Bounces across the floor four times in quick hops before disappearing. Thrown at a strong diagonal angle downwards, useful for interrupting offstage opponents attempting to jump towards an edge. 9%
  • Melon Travels slowly in a broad arc, and has considerable knockback. Can be used to stop approaches and KO at high percents. 12%
  • Galaxian Does a quick shuttle loop before continuing to fly off either straight ahead or in a 45 degree angle upward from the direction it was thrown. Inflicts the same amount of damage every time it connects. 9%
  • Bell Travels slowly in a high arc before suddenly stopping short and falling straight down, passing through opponents. Causes paralysis if it connects, and bounces once before disappearing, which can also cause paralysis if an opponent touches it then. 8%
  • Key Travels at high speed in a straight line and deals high damage and knockback. Highest knockback out of all Bonus Fruit charges. With extreme technical skill, the key can be used to start zero-death infinite footstool combos.
Before I get into my thoughts on each fruit, please be aware that pac-man can only have one bonus fruit out at a time, so if you can acquire it, you fulfill option 4 by just holding it, and are free to use option 2, or option 1 if you absolutely must (if he's camping and sending hydrants or pressuring with his sideB that makes him eat pellets and an energy pellet he might harm luma so think carefully). DownB'ing any of his fruit will make it go on the ground and be a normal item that isn't going anywhere unlike bowser jr.'s mechakoopa or link's bombs for example, so you can safely pick it up, too. So, my thoughts on the various fruit:
  • the cherry is kind of garbage, so don't worry about hanging on to it for long whether you throw it at him or throw it away. It goes a small distance iirc and doesn't stay out long at all after a z-drop.
  • The strawberry is a bit better but still doesn't matter much.
  • The orange is kinda good, definitely consider throwing this back or hanging on to it and being ready to z-drop it on him if you end up above him or something.
  • The apple is interesting, especially as an edgeguarding tool.
  • The melon is second best to the key for Rosalina I think. It does good damage, goes at a very slow speed, stays out a long time, and does good knockback. If we were to explore it I'm sure we could find some crazy combos between a melon flying along and rosalina and luma all bashing a pac-man across the stage in harmony - iirc pac-mans can throw people into melons after throwing the melons.
  • The galaxian is good if you want to make a confusing but not really confusing advance. Other than that, just hold on to it I guess.
  • The bell is exceptional because at high percents if you can hit pac-man with it in some way you can get a smash or aerial of your choice (don't grab pac-man after though because that'd just be silly - punish him!).
  • The key is penultimate. Z-drop this thing like it's hot and regrab it and spam doing this constantly (but don't get too predictable), pac-man will try to do something and take like 20 percent for it and it's so stupid lol. You can drop it on his hydrant and kill him early if he leasts expects it and all sorts of stuff!
Also, here's a secret bonus video for checking this specific spoiler out, watch these pac-mans use their items in the most excellent of manners!
For peach, she's got those turnips, and turnips are pretty neat. You can sometimes regrab them after they hit someone and are exceptional when thrown up in the air and in other ways as they can sort of keep her from recovering high or sometimes directly horizontally and maybe even low if they don't recover carefully enough. The turnips are unique but there's not much of a need to learn what they all are other than the stitch face and perhaps the dot face, which do around 30 and 20 respectively. If you get those, be very careful how you use them - play it right and you'll cheese your way to victory really hard. You don't really want to deal with the Mr. Saturn so unless you'd like to throw it at the ground to make a bouncy and persistent but overall weak hitbox, just get rid of it - the Peach will just spot dodge aerials and avoid shielding probably while you have it unless they're bad I guess or make a huge mistake in which case feel free to full charge fsmash them or luma shot or whatever. The bob-ombs are dangerous but if the Peach somehow gets hit by it it's a free kill pretty much if they're above like 20(?) or if they're offstage. Just be very careful when handling it as it's timer is . Also, I think if peach is holding a bob-omb and you throw out a hitbox on the bob-omb itself as she holds it, it'll explode in her hand. Obviously don't hold it for too long, or you'll die to it exploding...
For R.O.B.'s gyros, they are pretty cool as they always "belong" to rosalina after either she downBs it or picks it up and drops it in any form. They'll have a constant hitbox until they're done spinning after R.O.B. puts it out, so if she downBs it during that time, it'll work against him. Additionally, since R.O.B.'s a big target, it's easy to take it from him whatever way you can and then throw it at him a bunch. If it hits a shield it'll disappear, so keep that in mind. It'll also be painful for luma if it doesn't belong to you yet and will keep it from properly doing attacks in sync with you (and I don't mean in a good way like a desync) because he's being hit every so often. Also, when you gain possession of a gyro, if you manage to get R.O.B. offstage you can use it for all sorts of edge guarding and block all sorts of options. You can keep him from doing a normal getup, jump getup, roll getup if you stand at the right space, just wait as it should hit him after he loses invincibility and it might stage spike him (iirc), and if you send luma to the edge, if he drops below ledge and attempts to upB around the gyro, you can just fsmash him with luma or short hop dair.
For Robin's tomes and sword, you can chuck them at him, but I don't believe you holding them has any effect on whether he gets it back or not (COULD BE WRONG). They do some alright damage but they're not so special otherwise, so just do whatever you please with it? See sheik for more information and gimping potential.
For toon link, you'll want to work with his bombs similarly to link, but you'll need to be more aware of his air game and much higher speed than link (at the cost of power, though, keep that in mind) because he can hit you with a bomb and then fair you or hit luma with a bomb and then grab when you try to jab as you dashes at you, etc.
For villager, his wood block is another simple item that and you don't have much special stuff you can do with it, similarly to robin's tomes/sword. It's also kinda weak. See sheik for more info on what to do with an item like this. His tree is an item too, and should be downB'd or heavily avoided as it does heavy damage to luma both when growing and upon being cut down. It also does big damage to you obviously so keep your distance. Be careful about using your downB against it, though, he might still be able to use the axe before it completely goes away, or may be able to use other aerials or establish a bit of stage control if you aren't careful.
For Wario, you can downB his bike to fulfill option 4 and keep it away from him and out of use. This is especially interesting for when you want to edgeguard him because he won't have the extra boost of recovery potential the bike gives him. You might be able to hurl it off the stage even and hit him with it as he tries to recover or something. It's a pretty special item in that carrying it makes you completely incapable of attacks or even jumps iirc. You can destroy the bike obviously if you want to, but that gives wario time to do stuff like get back to stage with the help of waft and such.
For wii fit trainer's header, I don't really know what to make of this move. Messing with it actually feels like you're playing soccer in smash - depending on how your tilts hit it, it'll go at different trajectories and speeds. It can get wrapped up along with WFT in multihit moves like fair and jab, resulting in a bit of extra damage, but I can't think of much else aside from that for it.
For sheik, getting her grenade is in theory kinda cool. (You can get her grenade if she's hit before making it explode, I think is how it works.) The reason I say in theory is because I haven't done it much if at all and have no idea if people actually do it in tournament (or should) because I don't remember ever seeing it - plus the benefits aren't so obvious at first, and in the end I'm just speculating as to potential options for this item in particular. First off, something to note about the "dud" grenade is that it's small and hard to see, which means it can be a pain during the match if you're trying to approach sheik if the item has just been created, since it still has a hitbox. If you can gain possession of it and keep it on the stage, you can either throw it on the stage as a temporary blockade, or use it later to help with edgeguarding! So lets say sheik is recovering low and needs to actually vanish before hitting the ledge. If you realize she's going to do this, you can short hop, and as you're rising with it, z-drop the grenade, and then input a down air (and later fast fall perhaps) when the grenades far enough below you that it won't get regrabbed by your aerial. It may be wise to try and drift a little past the ledge so that the grenade bonks sheik into the side of the stage which may even result in a stage spike. Anyways, this will help you not need to necessarily land a 2 frame dair punish (or a run-off-stage-and(-bair/fastfall-jump-bair) "if you're feeling lucky" punish). Do you think sheik is going to do the weird upB trick where she goes past the ledge? Just full hop and z-drop it, but don't drift as far past the ledge as you normally do - she'll still be in a disadvantage especially if she doesn't have downB (if sheik does still have her downB, be careful and feel free to try edgeguarding her if you're up for it - maybe with a turnaround lunar landed bair or fast falling luma dair?).

It would be good if someone could find videos showcasing some of these item characters' item play, because I don't really want to work on this post any longer. You can also just google glide tossing, the youtube channel mysmashcorner, tutorials for how to use these various characters, and specific characters and items on ssbwiki for more information on items. Hope I helped you learn something!

Edit: added R.O.B. stuff and removed note about sheik grenade

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
(sheik can also create a grenade that can become an item if she's hit before it goes of so I'll be mentioning what you can do with that too)

I'm surprised nothing's here yet - I'll offer my thoughts and what I've learned about items because any character is great when given usage of items, especially Rosalina. Correct me if I'm wrong I s'pose.

It's good to know a little bit about how to really maximize use of items, especially since we have our awesome downB. You can obviously pick up and throw the items once you get them through whatever means, but there are some more unique items techniques that may be better in certain situations:
  1. You can "z-drop" items by hitting your grab button while in the air, which makes the item fall out of your hand and go straight down.
  2. Using an aerial right after a z-drop (and I mean RIGHT after, like as soon as the item starts falling) lets you do an aerial and regrab the item right after, maintaining a hold on the item and still allowing you to apply some pressure. You'll see this technique done by the links, megaman, pacman, peach, and maybe ROB; it doesn't seem others that can generate items do it much, though, because either their items can't be held normally, because the items don't come about often, or there's not much of a point in using the technique with them (like maybe villager would rather pocket his tree piece for example).
  3. Another technique you can use with items is jump cancel throwing (aka glide tossing as mentioned in the OP), where you jump after dashing and then immediately hit a direction and a (or use c-stick I guess) and you'll throw the item that way (and also get/maintain a bit of the momentum because you jumped). This is good for running away from someone and then surprising them with the item.
Anyways, because rosa's air game is so good, using z-drop regrab with aerial can be very useful for juggle situations and such, but if you're not juggling your opponent and are playing neutral with them, you'll want to either have a purpose in holding that item or not be holding the item in your hand so you can use your grounded moves to play neutral. There are 4 options I can think of to use an item with: you can either
1) get rid of the item,
2) hurl it at your opponent,
3) leave it around with the effects of gravitational pull on it,
4) do what you can to keep it away from the opponent.

I'll be referring to all these options when describing what to do against these spammers I mean other characters.

For Bowser Jr.'s mechakoopa, you can grab it either as it's walking towards you (which can be a little hard because it bumps in to luma delaying its movement) or you can just gravity pull it. If you gravity pull it, you can leave it alone to go with option 3, allowing the mechakoopa to present an additional hazard that bowser jr. needs to avoid now. You're also fulfilling option 4, because bowser jr. can't pull out another mechakoopa if it's out on the field in any form. If you pick it up, that's nice too, but keep in mind that it will detonate in your hand after some time, so you can either do the z-drop aerial to reset its timer before it explodes, or pick option 2 and hurl it at him to keep him from applying pressure. Option 1 isn't necessarily the best option unless the bowser jr. is good and can play catch with it (making option 2 worse than option 1), and option 4 is a bad one because bowser jr. can apply pressure because of your lack of ground moves and you can't exactly set down the item as it explodes upon recontact with the ground iirc.
For Diddy Kong's banana peel, you'll likely just want to down b and leave it be. This immediately fulfills options 3, and 4 to an extent, which helps with stage control and keeping diddy from getting stage control easily. If you grab it, you can throw it at him to apply more pressure, but you need to keep in mind it can only be thrown like twice before disappearing (although I'm pretty sure he can z-drop aerial grab it for more usage and that may or may not let it last longer, I'm not sure). If you pick option 2 and hurl it at him and it does hit him, depending on your distance, you may be able to get a follow up like upsmash or a grab or a SH luma nair or something. If it doesn't hit him for whatever reason and doesn't get in between you and him, watch out, because he's fast and may be able to punish you for the throw.
For Link, you'll want to be careful using gravitational pull because he can grab you and down throw you and uptilt you for disconcerting amounts of damage. Or punish you in other ways. If he throws the bomb and you somehow acquire it, you can do a funky trick I saw in the toon link boards where you z-drop the item within a small amount of frames before hitting the ground so that it doesn't explode on contact with the ground. This can be hard though and you don't main toon link and don't want to do make yourself do this, so unless it's on the ground and you can or have downB'd it, your other options are really just 1 and 2. He can pull another bomb so option 4 isn't really an option against him. If you have his bomb, he can choose to chuck projectiles at you. Be careful about the bomb's timer running out as you're holding it or as you're a little too close to it, as it can explode and he might even get to hit you for it.
For game&watch there's apparently not much to worry about, uh.. You can downB his apple to move it closer to you, you can run in and jump and press air dodge or just press a by it to eat it and then retreat so he doesn't punish you if he hasn't already eaten it and for some reason retreated, uh... Not much to say here I don't think :p so for food and the slew of other items, you might be in a casual setting and maybe even in a free for all with a couple of people. They may be ignoring you, so if you pop a party ball you can downB to get all the items around you and set up a temporary base of operations where you can figure out what to do with your items. You can eat the food, throw a beetle along the stage, move a hammer a little by running in to it, grab a fire bar and throw it in the air, fire shots along the field, save a metal box for later when you want to run in and give out a pounding, etc. Depending on what stage you're playing on and whether or not everyone's focusing on you because you're playing rosalina, there's a surprisingly bountiful amount of options in free for all!
For Megaman's metal blade, you'll want to not hurt your brain wondering what to do with it so just either pick option 1, MAAAAYBE option 2 if he isn't good at catching items, or guard it with option 4 if you want to be/are ok with being campy (and then grab it and go to option 1 if you've determined you're in a bad position, or if he starts really working on gaining ground on you). The metal blade disappears after a short distance after being thrown so he'll get it back really quickly if you get rid of it or if he dodges/shields it, which is unavoidable really. If you guard it, his pressure won't be as bad because he won't be able to do all the crazy item tricks with his mega blade, but it'll despawn after a relatively short time if you leave it alone (not sure how long exactly...). So I guess option 4 is great? I'm not sure, it's situation dependant and up to you!
For Pac-Man's fruit, let's take a look at some info on it all according to smash wiki...
  • Cherry Bounces twice and lands for a moment before disappearing. 4%
  • Strawberry Bounces three times and lands for a moment before disappearing. Travels slightly more total distance than the cherry. 6%
  • Orange Travels in a straight line for about roughly half the length of Final Destination's platform before disappearing. Knocks characters in a semi-spike angle. 8%
  • Apple Bounces across the floor four times in quick hops before disappearing. Thrown at a strong diagonal angle downwards, useful for interrupting offstage opponents attempting to jump towards an edge. 9%
  • Melon Travels slowly in a broad arc, and has considerable knockback. Can be used to stop approaches and KO at high percents. 12%
  • Galaxian Does a quick shuttle loop before continuing to fly off either straight ahead or in a 45 degree angle upward from the direction it was thrown. Inflicts the same amount of damage every time it connects. 9%
  • Bell Travels slowly in a high arc before suddenly stopping short and falling straight down, passing through opponents. Causes paralysis if it connects, and bounces once before disappearing, which can also cause paralysis if an opponent touches it then. 8%
  • Key Travels at high speed in a straight line and deals high damage and knockback. Highest knockback out of all Bonus Fruit charges. With extreme technical skill, the key can be used to start zero-death infinite footstool combos.
Before I get into my thoughts on each fruit, please be aware that pac-man can only have one bonus fruit out at a time, so if you can acquire it, you fulfill option 4 by just holding it, and are free to use option 2, or option 1 if you absolutely must (if he's camping and sending hydrants or pressuring with his sideB that makes him eat pellets and an energy pellet he might harm luma so think carefully). DownB'ing any of his fruit will make it go on the ground and be a normal item that isn't going anywhere unlike bowser jr.'s mechakoopa or link's bombs for example, so you can safely pick it up, too. So, my thoughts on the various fruit:
  • the cherry is kind of garbage, so don't worry about hanging on to it for long whether you throw it at him or throw it away. It goes a small distance iirc and doesn't stay out long at all after a z-drop.
  • The strawberry is a bit better but still doesn't matter much.
  • The orange is kinda good, definitely consider throwing this back or hanging on to it and being ready to z-drop it on him if you end up above him or something.
  • The apple is interesting, especially as an edgeguarding tool.
  • The melon is second best to the key for Rosalina I think. It does good damage, goes at a very slow speed, stays out a long time, and does good knockback. If we were to explore it I'm sure we could find some crazy combos between a melon flying along and rosalina and luma all bashing a pac-man across the stage in harmony - iirc pac-mans can throw people into melons after throwing the melons.
  • The galaxian is good if you want to make a confusing but not really confusing advance. Other than that, just hold on to it I guess.
  • The bell is exceptional because at high percents if you can hit pac-man with it in some way you can get a smash or aerial of your choice (don't grab pac-man after though because that'd just be silly - punish him!).
  • The key is penultimate. Z-drop this thing like it's hot and regrab it and spam doing this constantly (but don't get too predictable), pac-man will try to do something and take like 20 percent for it and it's so stupid lol. You can drop it on his hydrant and kill him early if he leasts expects it and all sorts of stuff!
Also, here's a secret bonus video for checking this specific spoiler out, watch these pac-mans use their items in the most excellent of manners!
For peach, she's got those turnips, and turnips are pretty neat. You can sometimes regrab them after they hit someone and are exceptional when thrown up in the air and in other ways as they can sort of keep her from recovering high or sometimes directly horizontally and maybe even low if they don't recover carefully enough. The turnips are unique but there's not much of a need to learn what they all are other than the stitch face and perhaps the dot face, which do around 30 and 20 respectively. If you get those, be very careful how you use them - play it right and you'll cheese your way to victory really hard. You don't really want to deal with the Mr. Saturn so unless you'd like to throw it at the ground to make a bouncy and persistent but overall weak hitbox, just get rid of it - the Peach will just spot dodge aerials and avoid shielding probably while you have it unless they're bad I guess or make a huge mistake in which case feel free to full charge fsmash them or luma shot or whatever. The bob-ombs are dangerous but if the Peach somehow gets hit by it it's a free kill pretty much if they're above like 20(?) or if they're offstage. Just be very careful when handling it as it's timer is . Also, I think if peach is holding a bob-omb and you throw out a hitbox on the bob-omb itself as she holds it, it'll explode in her hand. Obviously don't hold it for too long, or you'll die to it exploding...
For R.O.B.'s gyros, they are pretty cool as they always "belong" to rosalina after either she downBs it or picks it up and drops it in any form. They'll have a constant hitbox until they're done spinning after R.O.B. puts it out, so if she downBs it during that time, it'll work against him. Additionally, since R.O.B.'s a big target, it's easy to take it from him whatever way you can and then throw it at him a bunch. If it hits a shield it'll disappear, so keep that in mind. It'll also be painful for luma if it doesn't belong to you yet and will keep it from properly doing attacks in sync with you (and I don't mean in a good way like a desync) because he's being hit every so often.
For Robin's tomes and sword, you can chuck them at him, but I don't believe you holding them has any effect on whether he gets it back or not (COULD BE WRONG). They do some alright damage but they're not so special otherwise, so just do whatever you please with it? See sheik for more information and gimping potential.
For toon link, you'll want to work with his bombs similarly to link, but you'll need to be more aware of his air game and much higher speed than link (at the cost of power, though, keep that in mind) because he can hit you with a bomb and then fair you or hit luma with a bomb and then grab when you try to jab as you dashes at you, etc.
For villager, his wood block is another simple item that and you don't have much special stuff you can do with it, similarly to robin's tomes/sword. It's also kinda weak. See sheik for more info on what to do with an item like this. His tree is an item too, and should be downB'd or heavily avoided as it does heavy damage to luma both when growing and upon being cut down. It also does big damage to you obviously so keep your distance. Be careful about using your downB against it, though, he might still be able to use the axe before it completely goes away, or may be able to use other aerials or establish a bit of stage control if you aren't careful.
For Wario, you can downB his bike to fulfill option 4 and keep it away from him and out of use. This is especially interesting for when you want to edgeguard him because he won't have the extra boost of recovery potential the bike gives him. You might be able to hurl it off the stage even and hit him with it as he tries to recover or something. It's a pretty special item in that carrying it makes you completely incapable of attacks or even jumps iirc. You can destroy the bike obviously if you want to, but that gives wario time to do stuff like get back to stage with the help of waft and such.
For wii fit trainer's header, I don't really know what to make of this move. Messing with it actually feels like you're playing soccer in smash - depending on how your tilts hit it, it'll go at different trajectories and speeds. It can get wrapped up along with WFT in multihit moves like fair and jab, resulting in a bit of extra damage, but I can't think of much else aside from that for it.
For sheik, getting her grenade is in theory kinda cool. (You can get her grenade if she's hit before making it explode, I think is how it works.) The reason I say in theory is because I haven't done it much if at all and have no idea if people actually do it in tournament (or should) because I don't remember ever seeing it - plus the benefits aren't so obvious at first, and in the end I'm just speculating as to potential options for this item in particular. First off, something to note about the "dud" grenade is that it's small and hard to see, which means it can be a pain during the match if you're trying to approach sheik if the item has just been created, since it still has a hitbox. If you can gain possession of it and keep it on the stage, you can either throw it on the stage as a temporary blockade, or use it later to help with edgeguarding! So lets say sheik is recovering low and needs to actually vanish before hitting the ledge. If you realize she's going to do this, you can short hop, and as you're rising with it, z-drop the grenade, and then input a down air (and later fast fall perhaps) when the grenades far enough below you that it won't get regrabbed by your aerial. It may be wise to try and drift a little past the ledge so that the grenade bonks sheik into the side of the stage which may even result in a stage spike. Anyways, this will help you not need to necessarily land a 2 frame dair punish (or a run-off-stage-and(-bair/fastfall-jump-bair) "if you're feeling lucky" punish). Do you think sheik is going to do the weird upB trick where she goes past the ledge? Just full hop and z-drop it, but don't drift as far past the ledge as you normally do - she'll still be in a disadvantage especially if she doesn't have downB (if sheik does still have her downB, be careful and feel free to try edgeguarding her if you're up for it - maybe with a turnaround lunar landed bair or fast falling luma dair?).

It would be good if someone could find videos showcasing some of these item characters' item play, because I don't really want to work on this post any longer. You can also just google glide tossing, the youtube channel mysmashcorner, tutorials for how to use these various characters, and specific characters and items on ssbwiki for more information on items. Hope I helped you learn something!
That's a huge amount of information, thanks. I edited the OP with Sheik, I forgot about her grenade.

Royug

Smash Cadet
I wonder, what's the practical difference between throwing an item downward and Z-dropping it ?

Also, with ROB you can use the same trick they do for edgeguarding and drop the gyro down on the ledge when your opponent is recovering. This way they'll be forced to either use a roll or jump get up. If they use a normal get-up or a get-up attack, the spinning gyro will immediately hurt them and that's a free Up-smash or F-smash for you.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I wonder, what's the practical difference between throwing an item downward and Z-dropping it ?

Also, with ROB you can use the same trick they do for edgeguarding and drop the gyro down on the ledge when your opponent is recovering. This way they'll be forced to either use a roll or jump get up. If they use a normal get-up or a get-up attack, the spinning gyro will immediately hurt them and that's a free Up-smash or F-smash for you.
Z-dropping has no associated animation, so it's probably faster in theory to z-drop then do whatever than it is to throw. Pac-Man's fruits can be z-dropped indefinitely, but can only be "properly" thrown once if you pick them up. And Link/Toon Link's bombs can be gently dropped on the ground if you z-drop them right.

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
What about Yoshi's eggs? Dabuz destroyed Raptor with Rosa because Raptor couldn't touch Rosa Smith his best move, being the eggs, taken away from him. Also, Rosa's down-b lasts so long that it's very deceptive and can take projectiles and items even when it looks like it can't.

PuzzlerBoy

Smash Rookie
Throwing an item down as opposed to z-dropping it generally makes the item go vertically downwards faster. So for sheik (and for certain other characters' upBs that don't have armor or good hitboxes protecting them) you can z-drop the projectile and then also attack with a different move and have no less than 3 hitboxes that your opponent has to worry about dealing with as they approach the ledge: rosalina, luma, and the item! You might now wonder, "well why not just THROW the item down as they're recovering?" If you throw it down it won't have the potential to stop their recovery for nearly as long unless they're going straight up (IN MOST CASES, some items are weird) and you won't be able to have all of rosaluma's janky hitboxes accompanying it as effectively to further worsen their attempts to get back. Also, as ParanoidDrone mentioned, some items stay around longer if you just z-drop them as opposed to throwing them which will pretty much always lower the items' durabilities or time they'll be around.

Oh, true, noted (well, I will be noting in just a moment when I put this up and begin to edit my other post) along with other potential stuff.
Although I don't know all of R.O.B.'s gyro-at-ledge punish options off the top of my head so I may have still missed something..

What about Yoshi's eggs? Dabuz destroyed Raptor with Rosa because Raptor couldn't touch Rosa Smith his best move, being the eggs, taken away from him. Also, Rosa's down-b lasts so long that it's very deceptive and can take projectiles and items even when it looks like it can't.
Yoshi's eggs are more of a projectile as opposed to a grabbable item so that's why they weren't mentioned. I guess I elaborated on villager's tree along with the wood block from it in my other post because he was in the list in the OP and it's sorta another thing to worry about and is relatively crucial, but perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it since it isn't a grabbable item... If we were to discuss ALL the things that are affected by Gravitational Pull, plus items in general, this thread would have a lot more to talk about and might be sorta cluttered. Regardless, from what I understand, Yoshi can change the trajectory and how far his eggs will go depending on how long he holds the B button and the direction of the control stick upon throwing it. Since he has such versatility with his eggs it can be hard to judge whether you want to downB, jump, or shield it - jumping's usually terrible because you give up positioning and get hit by the next one he will always throw out, downB is technically punishable (and most definitely gives Yoshi an opportunity to establish a little more stage control), and shielding it I think leads/can lead to luma getting hurt and it isn't too shabby in terms of shield damage too if you don't perfect shield it. I couldn't find a VOD for this dabuz vs raptor match, would you be able to link it? Dabuz might just have executed the matchup much much better or raptor may have not done well at properly spacing to throw the eggs against him or punishing him for using downB.

In regards to Rosalina's deceptive downB duration, I'm not sure if that's been found out yet as on kurogane hammer's site it just says 2-forever for how long the move lasts (and I don't blame them, I'm not sure how to test it), but yeah anyone that spends some time with Rosa against projectile characters can see it lasts longer than the animation does (it may end before her first actionable frame after using the move though). Not so sure if we even have figured out the definitive range of its influence. Does it pull items depending on distance from the center of the item? Does it pull them if a point on the items grab box is within a certain range of Rosalina upon activating GP? Does the radius decrease over time (probably doesn't but ??)? How long is the (initial?) radius of GP and is it at an offset from the center of Rosalina's model? How do we even measure this stuff lol Should this be in the Q/A thread? Am I spewing a bunch of nonsense because people figured all this out a while ago and mentioned it in some obscure thread that didn't turn up when I searched for it?! I personally got questions about the move myself and others probably do too but I'm not inclined to or know how to test it myself and other people don't seem to either (or at least haven't posted their findings) especially with how the games been out this long and with the lack of importance attributed to it so we can't be sure. I guess this wasn't what you were looking for when you posted that but I felt I'd talk about it anyway.

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
Throwing an item down as opposed to z-dropping it generally makes the item go vertically downwards faster. So for sheik (and for certain other characters' upBs that don't have armor or good hitboxes protecting them) you can z-drop the projectile and then also attack with a different move and have no less than 3 hitboxes that your opponent has to worry about dealing with as they approach the ledge: rosalina, luma, and the item! You might now wonder, "well why not just THROW the item down as they're recovering?" If you throw it down it won't have the potential to stop their recovery for nearly as long unless they're going straight up (IN MOST CASES, some items are weird) and you won't be able to have all of rosaluma's janky hitboxes accompanying it as effectively to further worsen their attempts to get back. Also, as ParanoidDrone mentioned, some items stay around longer if you just z-drop them as opposed to throwing them which will pretty much always lower the items' durabilities or time they'll be around.

Oh, true, noted (well, I will be noting in just a moment when I put this up and begin to edit my other post) along with other potential stuff.
Although I don't know all of R.O.B.'s gyro-at-ledge punish options off the top of my head so I may have still missed something..

Yoshi's eggs are more of a projectile as opposed to a grabbable item so that's why they weren't mentioned. I guess I elaborated on villager's tree along with the wood block from it in my other post because he was in the list in the OP and it's sorta another thing to worry about and is relatively crucial, but perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it since it isn't a grabbable item... If we were to discuss ALL the things that are affected by Gravitational Pull, plus items in general, this thread would have a lot more to talk about and might be sorta cluttered. Regardless, from what I understand, Yoshi can change the trajectory and how far his eggs will go depending on how long he holds the B button and the direction of the control stick upon throwing it. Since he has such versatility with his eggs it can be hard to judge whether you want to downB, jump, or shield it - jumping's usually terrible because you give up positioning and get hit by the next one he will always throw out, downB is technically punishable (and most definitely gives Yoshi an opportunity to establish a little more stage control), and shielding it I think leads/can lead to luma getting hurt and it isn't too shabby in terms of shield damage too if you don't perfect shield it. I couldn't find a VOD for this dabuz vs raptor match, would you be able to link it? Dabuz might just have executed the matchup much much better or raptor may have not done well at properly spacing to throw the eggs against him or punishing him for using downB.

In regards to Rosalina's deceptive downB duration, I'm not sure if that's been found out yet as on kurogane hammer's site it just says 2-forever for how long the move lasts (and I don't blame them, I'm not sure how to test it), but yeah anyone that spends some time with Rosa against projectile characters can see it lasts longer than the animation does (it may end before her first actionable frame after using the move though). Not so sure if we even have figured out the definitive range of its influence. Does it pull items depending on distance from the center of the item? Does it pull them if a point on the items grab box is within a certain range of Rosalina upon activating GP? Does the radius decrease over time (probably doesn't but ??)? How long is the (initial?) radius of GP and is it at an offset from the center of Rosalina's model? How do we even measure this stuff lol Should this be in the Q/A thread? Am I spewing a bunch of nonsense because people figured all this out a while ago and mentioned it in some obscure thread that didn't turn up when I searched for it?! I personally got questions about the move myself and others probably do too but I'm not inclined to or know how to test it myself and other people don't seem to either (or at least haven't posted their findings) especially with how the games been out this long and with the lack of importance attributed to it so we can't be sure. I guess this wasn't what you were looking for when you posted that but I felt I'd talk about it anyway.
Thanks, and here's the link to the Dabuz vs Raptor match:
http//m.youtube.com/?gl=US#/watch?v=rhdB-8YCrKA

Top Bottom