• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina and Luma, the sinking ship?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
That shouldn't be considered "cheap" or even "obnoxious" though. That's literally how you make a diverse fighting game - give each character unique options.
Yeah it just so happens that her uniqueness makes her cheap. There's been times when my shield was broken and her comes luna the protector saving my ass. Don't get me wrong I like it it's just stuff like that where only she's capable of doing.

I haven't fought enough shieks or diddys to be really comfortable with the MU but I think Rosalina does pretty well vs them. From what I seen I've seen dabuz hold his own vs most of the top characters. I don't think the nerfs are as crippling as people are claiming. I think there's a lot of knee jerk reaction going on. Although I will say it'd be nice to see another rosalina do well in tourney. Just so that it's not just dabuz driving her results.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
I consider Rosalina sunk. Yeah, she's still very strong post-patch, but she has two problems that ensure she'll never get a meta as well-developed as certain other characters without more patches:

1) She has an unconventional play style (it's not rushdown).

2) Her worst matchups are rushdown characters.

Ever since before launch, everyone in the competitive community has whined nonstop about how Smash4 isn't Melee. All they seem to want is a Melee-like game consisting of pure rushdown pressure with no real defensive options. Shiek, who is Rosalina's worst matchup, is that Melee-like character that the bulk of the competitive community wants to play. The preference of competitive players to develop characters which are naturally good against Rosalina is going to create a cycle which continually pushes her down.

Nerfing the crap out of Shiek may help, but don't count on it happening for a long time, until after players have already invested a great amount of time in her.
Nah she isn't sunk at all, she's still a great character with only 1 unfavorable matchup and a few even matchups. People just don't want to learn to play her cause of her unique playstyle and not being the easy way out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like Yoshi isn't the only fighter who gives Rosalina problems. It appears that Diddy Kong is also a Rosalina killer, regardless of the fact that Rosalina can render his banana peels ineffective.

In other words, Rosalina has more than just one negative match-up, or at least that's what I've been noticing anyway.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Well I for one think that Yoshi, Diddy, and Sheik are Rosa's only negative match ups. But she's not at such a huge disadvantage against them so as to render counterpicking a necessity.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yoshi and Diddy are in our favour.

Sheikh is even right now, and it will shift in one character's favour if either of them develop new tech. Rosalina has been developing new tech, but nobody is making use of it which is holding her back in match ups like this.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Sheikh is even right now, and it will shift in one character's favour if either of them develop new tech. Rosalina has been developing new tech, but nobody is making use of it which is holding her back in match ups like this.
All fighters will be analyzed more than once, so by the time we start doing round 2 for Rosalina vs. Yoshi, along with Rosalina vs. Diddy, there could be some changes to those two match-ups.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

My conclusion and principle is, Rosalina is not broken nor OP, and I hate the ones who keep bragging anything that's negative about her. You can dislike a character but don't insult a character.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353

I would really like your thoughts on why the diddy mu is in our favor.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So far, it has been concluded that on average, Diddy has a slight advantage against Rosalina. It should be noted, however, that the skill difference between players can play a factor on the match results too.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm also interested in what new tech apparently nobody is using.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
So far, it has been concluded that on average, Diddy has a slight advantage against Rosalina. It should be noted, however, that the skill difference between players can play a factor on the match results too.
When discussing matchups it's automatically assumed that both players are evenly skilled. I agree that the matchup seems to be slightly in diddy's favor, that is why I wanted to know his reason for saying that rosa has the advantage.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find that most of the time I'm outranging Diddy and since it's well known how strong that U-Air is, I never let him hit me with it.

Diddy also has a real hard time getting his grab-Uthrow-Uair combo in because Luma is there and I am generally always ready for it too, so it's easy to avoid, more so than with other characters.

His bananas are also completely useless, because as soon as he uses them, you just use Down B, he trips, and that's a free hit right there. Even if Diddy players adapt and don't use the banana, one of their best assets is gone, as Diddy needs that banana for stage control.

Monkey Flip is pretty good against Rosalina as it can take out Luma at the least if it's hanging around the ledge with Rosalina, and it can get by Luma altoegther and latch on to Rosalina, among other things, but the situations in which Diddy uses this move are generally way too predicatable and I'm always ready for it.

Also he's easy to gimp.

And for perspective, I've been sick all week and can only play Smash Wii U on the GamePad with the brightness down to minimal. I have fought a few solid Diddy players in that time and I didn't lose to a single one of them.

In general, I think Diddy is quite overrated - he's only #1 right now as people refuse to use other characters. He has very readable strategies and when you know how Diddy players play, it's never that difficult.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I find that most of the time I'm outranging Diddy and since it's well known how strong that U-Air is, I never let him hit me with it.

Diddy also has a real hard time getting his grab-Uthrow-Uair combo in because Luma is there and I am generally always ready for it too, so it's easy to avoid, more so than with other characters.

His bananas are also completely useless, because as soon as he uses them, you just use Down B, he trips, and that's a free hit right there. Even if Diddy players adapt and don't use the banana, one of their best assets is gone, as Diddy needs that banana for stage control.

Monkey Flip is pretty good against Rosalina as it can take out Luma at the least if it's hanging around the ledge with Rosalina, and it can get by Luma altoegther and latch on to Rosalina, among other things, but the situations in which Diddy uses this move are generally way too predicatable and I'm always ready for it.

Also he's easy to gimp.

And for perspective, I've been sick all week and can only play Smash Wii U on the GamePad with the brightness down to minimal. I have fought a few solid Diddy players in that time and I didn't lose to a single one of them.

In general, I think Diddy is quite overrated - he's only #1 right now as people refuse to use other characters. He has very readable strategies and when you know how Diddy players play, it's never that difficult.
Yeah, recently I starting to hate Diddy Kong these days, but I can get through it...........I hope.......

Top Bottom