• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina 4th lightest character in the game

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, Sakurai played off an "anti-gravity effect" to explaining Rosalina flying far when hit despite her stature in a pic of the day long ago. Some people have been testing actual KO resistance, and Rosalina ranks quite low in real world testing. 4th lightest, apparently.

This is something Mewtwo suffered in Melee, but he didn't have a helper with him designed to absorb damage for him and effectively double his offensive potential (or good moves at all, for that matter). Many people who have the game insist that Rosalina is a very tough nut to crack, so the nonsensically low weight may have peen placed on her strictly for balance purposes.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
This still may be a problem vs Heavy Hitters. Keep this thread open as a Just In Case.
I assume lighter are Jiggs, Peach, and Kirby? Peach has a hard time dieing for the most part, and Kirby survives pretty well.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina is basically THE easiest fighter to send flying in Smash 3DS, so she's very much like Melee Mewtwo, but much less resilient to knockback with her weight being lower than even Fox's weight.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
so how are we going to deal with that?
Take advantage of zoning capabilities and don't get hit. Rosalina comes across me as a character you need to no think two steps ahead to really make her effective, and set up traps.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think it was unnecessary since she has enough compromises for her having Luma's assistance, and I liked how she seemed heavier than this at E3. But it's not a huge setback, at least, not right now. Hopefully she evolves to be competent enough despite it. We're off to a good start anyway, since Japanese forum goers have been making tier lists based on For Glory performance, and Rosalina is always ranked as top tier along with some other characters (including Bowser).

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Honestly she doesn't need weight. The space she covers is insane and she has well above average kill potential from what it looks like not to mention she has among the easier recoveries. She's also one of the only characters with 0 useless custom moves.

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I think it was unnecessary since she has enough compromises for her having Luma's assistance, and I liked how she seemed heavier than this at E3. But it's not a huge setback, at least, not right now. Hopefully she evolves to be competent enough despite it. We're off to a good start anyway, since Japanese forum goers have been making tier lists based on For Glory performance, and Rosalina is always ranked as top tier along with some other characters (including Bowser).
Can I get a :4link: to some of these tier lists that were made?

Last edited:

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
What people are saying about RosaLuma is pretty reassuring. :126:

I kinda wish that she was like Dedede in Brawl--in that she'd be floaty but super-heavy--but it really does sound like Luma complements her "downsides" fantastically.

Though I do wonder if there would be any differences as far as physics go between the 3DS and Wii U versions. A lot of people have said that the boundaries on the 3DS stages are particularly forgiving so it takes longer to take a stock, so perhaps the Wii U stages will be "smaller" resulting in RosaLuma dropping a bit in usage? Speculation, but possible.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What people are saying about RosaLuma is pretty reassuring. :126:

I kinda wish that she was like Dedede in Brawl--in that she'd be floaty but super-heavy--but it really does sound like Luma complements her "downsides" fantastically.

Though I do wonder if there would be any differences as far as physics go between the 3DS and Wii U versions. A lot of people have said that the boundaries on the 3DS stages are particularly forgiving so it takes longer to take a stock, so perhaps the Wii U stages will be "smaller" resulting in RosaLuma dropping a bit in usage? Speculation, but possible.
I doubt this would effect her if it were the case. Reason being that smaller blast zones would make EVERYONE easier to K.O., thus, nullifying it as a bad thing for Rosalina specifically. It would not change anything for her.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I noticed I never replied here. Huh.

Anyway, while it is quite the drawback, it makes sense considering how dangerous Rosalina & Luma can be. Just look at Jigglypuff and Mr. Game & Watch before her. Mr. Game & Watch's Smash attack were also powerful, while Jigglypuff has rest and amazing edge guarding abilities.

With these in mind, Luma hits hard it looks like. Not only that, but he can use smash attacks anywhere as long as he isn't hit. Luma is the only character, (besides technically Robin), who can use a normal smash attack in the air which means he can use smash attacks and the like off stage.

Theres also the ability for Rosalina & Luma for the both of them to just combo them. Let's not forgot about how she can control spacing as well. She has severel powerful moves as well as the ability to make the opponent have to think a lot harder,

All and all, it makes sense. I'm also fine with it. Also, I apparently can't stop maining lightweights. :p

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Okay so guys I just won another tourney today, BUT my good friend DJ Jack actually took me out in Winner Finals with his Little Mac. I believe he is a match up we must explore because not only does Rosalina & Luma not have the safest landing options, but Little Mac controls the ground so well. I came back to Grand Finals and won only cause he had to leave early.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wouldn't grab games be Little Mac's downfall? I would think that if Rosalina plays defensively, she could potentially punish Little Mac pretty hard.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wouldn't grab games be Little Mac's downfall? I would think that if Rosalina plays defensively, she could potentially punish Little Mac pretty hard.
Everytime I've seen Rosalina fight Little Mac, thats exactly what happens, and she won most of the time cause of it.

Moderator Edit: Fixed up the quote tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
If only Luma could grab. :icsmelee:

I do feel as though her weight and size are gonna be a huge problem against opponent's who are "fast"--either through themselves or their characters--unless if you use a totally uncharged Luma Shot and keep a potential character-width space between Rosalina and Luma.

Perhaps protection could be provided by pivot-grabbing? Worst-case scenario, you miss the grab and have Luma attack them from behind.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I just wished Luma could be heavier, having Luma just spawn and then your opponent hits Luma and he's off the stage immediately.

Unless theres a way to prevent Luma just falling hopelessly after being hit with a Smash attack once, It's hard to defend him at some points.

Rosalina being light is horrible too, but losing Luma makes it much harder to deal with it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I just wished Luma could be heavier, having Luma just spawn and then your opponent hits Luma and he's off the stage immediately.

Unless theres a way to prevent Luma just falling hopelessly after being hit with a Smash attack once, It's hard to defend him at some points.

Rosalina being light is horrible too, but losing Luma makes it much harder to deal with it.
I think Luma being relatively easy to kill is meant to be a balancing factor. Some people are already getting a bit salty over the puppet mechanic, can you imagine how much worse it would be if we could save Luma from being knocked offstage?

Rosalina's defensive game is fairly good even without Luma, thankfully, so it's not a massive hardship to wait out the respawn timer.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I think Luma being relatively easy to kill is meant to be a balancing factor. Some people are already getting a bit salty over the puppet mechanic, can you imagine how much worse it would be if we could save Luma from being knocked offstage?

Rosalina's defensive game is fairly good even without Luma, thankfully, so it's not a massive hardship to wait out the respawn timer.
I guess I'm just salty about not having as much stage control with Luma on the field. I would rather less HP on Luma rather than being knocked off by one Shiek F-Smash.

That respawn timer is not too big of a deal except for the fact that Luma can be knocked off immediately after spawning.

But you're right, she would be way too strong with a heavier easy to keep puppet in this kind of game.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've also noticed that some players overestimate how important Luma is and treat it like Nana in that Rosalina is crippled by herself. This isn't the case and can lead to punishes when they focus on Luma, or when they get overagressive against SoRo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've also noticed that some players overestimate how important Luma is and treat it like Nana in that Rosalina is crippled by herself. This isn't the case and can lead to punishes when they focus on Luma, or when they get overagressive against SoRo.
Unfortunately, this can be effective online. Because lag.

Sometimes, matches start playing up on me, and if I have no Luma with me while this happens, it makes me feel quite crippled. Rosalina's attacks are awesome, but they require accuracy and precision. Something that's not always possible online. Other players take advantage of this, and can really back you into a corner if you're not careful.

Of course, this only applies to an online setting, but it's still important, as people do come up with strategies to take advantage of lag. And Rosalina just isn't the best character for dealing with lag.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Unfortunately, this can be effective online. Because lag.

Sometimes, matches start playing up on me, and if I have no Luma with me while this happens, it makes me feel quite crippled. Rosalina's attacks are awesome, but they require accuracy and precision. Something that's not always possible online. Other players take advantage of this, and can really back you into a corner if you're not careful.

Of course, this only applies to an online setting, but it's still important, as people do come up with strategies to take advantage of lag. And Rosalina just isn't the best character for dealing with lag.
True facts, although I've been lucky and haven't had a lot of laggy matches yet. The ones that do lag, my game goes down the gutter, but there's a bright side in that it gives me an extra moment to consider Luma's position and see if it can do anything useful. Took advantage of it to get a clean fsmash from behind someone once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom