• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rom Dump (Evidence of DLC plans?)

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I'm expecting DLC at this point. Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and they'd be crazy not to capitalize on this. I'd be shocked if we didn't get something, but it's nice to have "proof".

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
It's legit in claiming that the possibility of DLC and the in-game infrastructure for DLC certainly exist.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
This is the most promising bit of data I've heard of being found. Hopefully there are also plans for character DLC, it'd really be a missed opportunity if they didn't do it in some fashion.
Now if they did some DLC for characters, I wonder if they'd fill in the "missing slots" on the CSS, or just have a separate page like the Stage Select Screen appears to be doing.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Just going to repost what I put in the other thread I saw this in:

That looks a bit odd to me. It seems like they're showing both the short and long text for the option for "All On" and "All Off" but there isn't the same short text for "regular" vs "downloaded". I'm also a little confused on why Nintendo would include an option to see "regular" stages vs "downloaded" stages in the first place, even if DLC is available. Are there really going to be that many stages available for download that it would constitute an option outside what is available already?

It does seem viable though.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hoping for it, but will believe it when it happens (and hopefully they give us either some interesting new ones or some nice returners).

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
"download" doesn't necessarily imply "purchased" though.

So it could actually be hinting at Stage Builder, and downloading stages from Wii U, as opposed to DLC stages or something. Could be either, but "downloaded" doesn't necessarily mean legit DLC.

What DOES hint towards DLC, however, is that there's reference to needing an update from the eShop in order to access an in-game shop in one of the ROM dump texts.

There's also reference to "Play Demo / Purchase Game", which sounds similar to a mix of how Brawl had demos & NES Remix let you go to the shop for games.

I want to believe in DLC, and it'd be stupid for Nintendo to NOT have DLC (and a lot of signs say they are). But I would also not be surprised it they don't for some unknown reason.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I'm really excited to see what could be in store for DLC stages, personally I'm hoping for a few stages from games that have no other representation besides a trophy or assist trophy. Wars World, Sim City and Murasame Castle could make great stages even if Andy, Dr. Wright or Takamaru aren't playable characters.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
This and the other text found about an in-game shop definitely confirm some sort of DLC. I don't want to get my hopes up until Sakurai says something. For all we know, it could be as simple as additional skins or trophies. Of course, fingers crossed for characters and stages. :grin:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
stage dlc is not the same as character dlc and is a bit easier, id say. so sure stages may happen but not characters.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, I looked around and I don't see a thread about it. SS-bros14 posted a link to it in the texture Leak thread.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/09/2...er-smash-bros-3ds-could-be-getting-stage-dlc/

Sorry if this has already been posted. No idea who the smash boards user is...

"See stages you have downloaded."
"See stages you have downloaded" sounds more like an option to see stages downloaded from a hypothetical WiiU custom stage maker to me.

Think about it: would official DLC stages you've made the decision to spend good money on on really require a separate option to be toggled in order to be visible?

I believe that SSB4 will have a plethora of DLC, but this isn't the sign.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That's my picture...I'm famous!

Here's the history of the discovery (requires membership to the leaks group to join). It's a collaboration between a lot of Smashboard users.

ferioku

Smash Ace

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
I'm strongly believing this as I find it odd for example that such a worked and popular character for them such as Wii Fit Trainer does not have a home stage. I know stages are like character who need balancing to not have caves or other awkward areas and they also need work to look good in design but The Trainer's stage is very simple to design and could be a very flat stage. I'm surprised they didn't port it from the WiiU or just made a simple design for her. I know this is not a rule as Melee didn't have "Akaneia" for Marth and Roy finished so there was still an universe with brand new characters who didn't have a homestage. But here's hoping. Also we need a Duck Hut and ROB stage just to make people like me happy.

Aldri

Smash Cadet
While I really want DLC, and I think there will be some, I'm in agreement with others that this could be how you download custom stages.

What would be cool is if you could download custom stages that other people created. So all custom stages people make could be uploaded into the "shop" and then downloaded by others at their leisure.

Wait...this is Nintendo. You can't even use your user-created Miis online. So that probably isn't the case.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
"download" doesn't necessarily imply "purchased" though.

So it could actually be hinting at Stage Builder, and downloading stages from Wii U, as opposed to DLC stages or something. Could be either, but "downloaded" doesn't necessarily mean legit DLC.
That's what I figured too.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"See stages you have downloaded" sounds more like an option to see stages downloaded from a hypothetical WiiU custom stage maker to me.

Think about it: would official DLC stages you've made the decision to spend good money on on really require a separate option to be toggled in order to be visible?

I believe that SSB4 will have a plethora of DLC, but this isn't the sign.
We've found quite a bit more pointing towards DLC. It is unlikely that this has to do with stage builder as we have found the text that relates to Wii U/3DS connectivity and stage info was not included. It is still possible, though.

If you go to the link @ PushDustIn PushDustIn posted you'll see it.

Smashboards -> Internet -> Smashboards. YAY!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Could be stages imported from stage builder?
Although I really want the stage builder to return I think I'd be more happy with the prospect of more stages.

Last edited:

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
Could be stages imported from stage builder?
Although I really want the stage builder to return I think I'd be more happy with the prospect of more stages.
It could highly be that or perhaps the WiiU version will ship with bonus data that will act as a patch for the handheld and include 1 or 2 more stages. It's unknown how the WiiU version will get Mii items and other stuff due to lack of Smash Run so It would be a nice trade. 3ds gives up items and WiiU gives stages.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This definitely bodes well, but it could just be for built Wii U stages.

With that said though, it would be extremely foolish on Nintendo's part to not hop on the DLC train for this game. MK8 and Hyrule Warriors have shown that they're willing to, and with the mysterious arrows discovered in the game's data, I think we'll at least get some kind of DLC.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Judging by the way Nintendo handled the DLC in Mario kart 8 it wouldn't surprise me if they went done this road. Fours stages, 3 characters and more customizations for the :4mii::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: respectively. The first could easily be a veteran pack to start it off see how everyone feels about DLC these 3 being :lucas::wolf::popo: the forgotten Brawl pack :p

Top Bottom