• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling/Dodging & Grab Viability

Naeroon

Smash Rookie
I'd like to preface this by saying that the purpose of this thread is to create a discussion about this topic for people to share their own personal experiences and opinions, and not to vent unintelligibly out of spite & frustration.

My summary of smash (to help give you an understanding of my comprehension of previous game mechanics and concepts): I've been playing smash since N64 when I was a small kid, moved to Melee when it came out and probably played that game more than any other game in my lifetime. Played it quite seriously with a tight group of friends for 4-5 years (a couple of us even used to browse these forums!). Brawl came out, I was pretty disappointed (for several reasons), but had enough friends who played it to still have a good time for ~3 years. I took Melee seriously, Brawl was more just for fun, and I haven't *really* played Smash for about 3 years.

Anyways, I'm more than excited to have a new Smash, and so I'm trying to get back up to snuff. In my experience so far, with about ~150 1v1s online, I'm enjoying the gameplay and mechanics. I DO notice a lot of defensive play, and a lot of rolling/dodging, but it doesn't really bother me as it is.

However, one thing I've noticed is that it seems to be more difficult to pull off grabs in certain contexts, due to rolling and dodging providing so much invincibility that either the timing window is drastically shifted to what I'm used to, or has been shrunk to the point of limiting options. I play Ness, and his backthrow is a serious killer at higher percentages, and as such I rely on it semi-heavily to help solidify a win (not to mention that his up throw is a nice way to initiate juggling). There have been many times where I have gone in for a grab after somebody dodges or rolls, and I just FEEL it should connect, but they manage to get in yet another dodge or roll before it does. I've had this happen to me almost a dozen times within several games I had versus a Shulk just now, which more or less precipitated this thread.

I'll be the first to admit my rustiness with the series as well as being handed a new package of physics and mechanics are potentially large contributing factors to why I am in this current state, but I would love to hear from other members of the community on this subject. Do you feel grabbing has become more difficult and less useful with the current state of this new game, where defensive posturing and dodging is the proto-metagame we are playing? Or is the switch-up of mechanics and controls leading to a need to re-learn timings and tactics, and grabbing is completely fine? Or maybe you just have some other solid piece of advice or wisdom about the topic you'd like to share?

Now, I know this whole rolling thing has a lot more implications than just grabbing, but I'd like to create an area that this specific issue can be discussed. I'd also like to apologize for the wall of text and any incoherent phrasing/rambling. It's extremely late and I wanted to quickly throw this thread up before I went to bed.

Thank you in advance for your time and input into this discussion!

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I've actually had zero problems grabbing. In fact I find grabbing to be incredibly powerful in this iteration since a grab for Falcon at the 40s to 50s is about 80-90 percent of the time going to lead into a true combo that ends in a knee finish for a KO. They're incredibly powerful on approach thanks to roll cancel grabbing in conjunction with the potency of shields. You have to be more careful and you there is a greater requirement on timing due to rolls but the power of rolls is being tremendously overstated. You just have to be more strict than you did in the past.

Top Bottom