• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roll-Cancel Pivot Grab in 1.1.0

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
I know it's nowhere near what it used to be, and I still miss those days dearly.
I'll always remember preWiiU tech fondly...
But does it still have any inherent advantages, or disadvantages, compared to her other grabs (Standing, Dash, DA-Cancel, Pivot, or Shield)?

I feel like it might, but almost everyone gave up on it when it got nerfed globally.
Zelda had the best RCPG in the game before the nerf though, and the nerf was to the mechanic in general, so shouldn't she still have the best one?

I use it in matches occasionally as a short burst out of a dashdance, and the range and speed seem to always surprise my opponent.
Occasionally it surprises me too.

So does anyone know how useful RC-Grab and RCPG are in this update?
Is there frame data on these two or her DAC Grab anywhere?

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I don't know any frame data for it unfortunately but I know the global nerf to RCPG's nerfed both range and how easy it was to do. It's still possible to do it. It just requires better timing on the player's part which is one reason why a lot of people gave up on it entirely because it was more difficult to consistently do it in the heat of battle. The range nerf wasn't as big since it went from being absolutely ridiculous to a little better than a regular pivot grab. I haven't used RCPG's since the nerf so I can't say how useful they are now. Pre-nerf, we could catch Marth or Ike out of their fairs without being touched by the blade. Now, I know stuff like that isn't possible but against characters that have to get fairly close to you to do any real damage (Mario, Yoshi, Pika, etc), you should be able to outrange any of their approaches with a RCPG provided you can consistently get the input right. Even what they deem as safe spacing can probably be beaten out by a RCPG. I'd be happy to see if this can work its way back into the metagame.

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
I would love to see it return as well!
Especially since the sound and visual of if still look cool.

The input is harder, sure, but not frame perfect.
It's easier than perfect pivoting, and much easier than frame canceling.
I have Shield set to Y, so I can slide from Shield to Attack more accurately.

Top Bottom