• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB's low combo options

Shram

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 has been out for over a year now but I feel like his meta hasn't quite fully developed yet.
A good amount of ROB's are still using dthrow into uair as a low percent combo, but it stales uair, one of our primary kill options. I'd like to dedicate this thread to discovering any other low% combos and picking out the best ones.

A couple top players use uthrow>fair as an easy 20% that can lead into gyro, depending on how the opponent reacts.

ROB also has uthrow into usmash at some low percents, but I haven't labbed it enough to know the specifics.

A while back I figured out that uthrow>perfectpivot utilt is a true combo on all characters if not DI'd perfectly. The ultilt can then lead into more utilts and uairs for optimal damage. However, this combo does not work on some characters who can DI far enough away from ROB, but it requires some pretty solid reaction times.

Any other low% combos that you know of? Every bit of knowledge helps!

Plategoron

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plategoron
Uthrow can be used as the primary combo throw from about 0-30%. However, it is DI-dependant and you have to either guess or react accordingly.

Opponent DIs towards you:
uthrow->utilt(->utilt)->uair <=> 12%+8%(+8%)+10%=30%(38%)

Opponent DIs away:
uthrow->gyro <=> 12%+8%=20% ; can deal more %, if gyro is charged, also has the advantage of having your gyro ready to be picked up

works always:
uthrow->fair <=> 12%+7%=19%

dependant on DI and/or character:
uthrow->running usmash <=> 12%+13%=25%
it usually works, when the opponent is not DIing away. some characters even get hit, when they do DI away
however, it does only true combo at about 20-30%

From about 25%-45% you can still use uthrow->uair, which deals 12%+10%=22%, if all hits connect, which isn't always the case, if you guessed the DI wrong and need to react

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I always use Sour Nair > anything
Nair > grab
Nair > Nair
Nair > Dtilt
Nair > Fair
These work at basically any percent, I think. Grab can obviously lead to more followups.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Nair> Grab is great. Works at higher percents on fast fallers. Followed by all the upthrow follow ups that people have already listed.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Plategoron covered basically everything from a lower percent grab, so I'll just add some fairly situational follow-ups.

bthrow/fthrow -> IGC dtilt is a decent jab lock set-up on fastfallers at around 10%; it can work later, but quickly becomes less effective as your opponent can tech on reaction. If you can get the lock though it's an easy 40%+.

uthrow -> footstool -> sourspot dair
is also a jab lock set-up that works on bigger characters from 0-5%, though you'll need to react to the DI. This can also easily get 40%+ if you land it.

uthrow -> fair -> footstool -> dair
can work if the opponent DIs out around 15-20%, and either doesn't have a fast combo breaker or neglects to use it. Footstool -> dair is not guaranteed either on characters with good air acceleration like Yoshi or Ness. This will kill some characters at the ledge like Dr. Mario.

edit:

Since I added some really situational follow-ups already I might as well go further. These are follow-ups for when you grab the opponent near or on top of a grounded gyro; this situation probably happens at least once a set, so I feel like these follow-ups are relevant.

uthrow -> insta-toss forward -> insta-toss forward -> fair works around 10-30%, though it's fairly precise on small characters and incredibly lenient on large characters. If they DI towards you, the fair won't be able to connect since you'll have to jump backwards to land the first gyro toss and performing an utilt follow-up instead will yield more damage.

dthrow -> insta-toss up can lead to fair, nair, uair, or footostool -> dair at low percent and uair at kill percents to give your beep boop a little extra boop (don't do this if beep boop is going to kill anyway unless you want to style, since it's less reliable). I personally think this combo is actually very relevant and underutilized (probably because nobody knows it exists). This combo is generally reliable, but will miss on small characters after mid percent (40%~) that fully commit to DI away.

dthrow and uthrow have really long animations, so be sure that the gyro won't disappear during the throw animation.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
What is the sourspot for Dair? I cant seem to get it.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
What is the sourspot for Dair? I cant seem to get it.
It's the tip. The sourspot lines up pretty well with the visual for the end of the flame. Here's a gfy showing the lock, apologies for the poor quality.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It's the tip. The sourspot lines up pretty well with the visual for the end of the flame. Here's a gfy showing the lock, apologies for the poor quality.
Ooh, dair is deceptively big.

Top Bottom