• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB's combo braker "leave me alone move"?

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
As the title suggests, I want your advice guys on how to efficiently get out of rough combo situations. I know that being heavy and big (combofood) is rob's nature and I am fine with this to tell you the truth. I don't seek for advice on how to avoid grab combos or let's say juggling, I need advice with jab cancels or canceled upairs to grabs,attacks.

In my scene, the top player (mains sheik and bowser) keeps beating me using the same method over and over. With sheik, he cancels his upair and jab to grabs and tilts while with bowser he cancels his first jab to dtilt or grab. Especially with bowser, eating a dtilt or a grab near the ledge at 80% means death even with the best DI.

Most of the times a jab, leaves me almost no room to react with rob and the follow up feels unavoidable. Jumping may be the answer, shielding -air dodging it surely isn't. I don't think counter attacking with a fair is possible, let alone nair that takes ages to be performed.

Most recently I have been using pikachu as a secondary to avoid this. It is so much easier to escape it with either a nair or a frame 2 thunder! Even jumping out of the combo feels so much easier. It is so frustrating to lose from the same move over and over even when I play almost perfectly in terms of spacing and zoning-punishing. So guys what do you do in situations like this? Help plz ;)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
ROB has no GTFO moves. When you're stuck in a combo, your best plan of action is understanding how much of his combo is guaranteed and saving your jump until you're confident you can get out. If you have a gyro fully charged, you MAY be able to gyro interrupt depending on their position though.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
With sheik it is not exactly so frustrating since I know this is sheik, she is supposed to be fast and canceling her jab to a simple tilt or a grab for a follow up is fine with me. The problem I face is bowser and his first jab. After this I feel that I have the following options:

1. A few frames to either buffer an air dodge that it may save me the dreadfull dtilt but I will suffer the horrible landing lag and still get punished hard either way.
  2. Upb. Sometimes it works.
  3. Try to fair. If by any luck I do counter attack successfully, chances are bowser will punish it since he won't even "feel/flinch" the fair especially if he is below something like 60% and once again I will still face the same landing lag from the fair whatsoever.
  4. Jump. I feel this is the best option but it doesn't work consistenly and especially near death % no matter my reaction time even if it perfect.
Maybe there is an optimal DI (Away from him? ) after the first jab that makes the jump work. Does anybody has any good Bowser MU experience and maybe can suggest a way out plz?

PS: I will post a ut video from one of my past matches to display where my problem is. It is just a pity to keep losing stocks from a jab at mid percents.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Up B works well if it's not a true combo. We have a few invincibility frames on start up and free movement. Nair is also good if you're just trying to create space, but the hitbox starts below him on frame 16, so it won't work well if they're very close.

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Is it really true that we get invisibility (or super armor) on the start up of UpB? Do you know the frame window?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Is it a problem you are having after taking a direct hit from a jab or is it a jab on your shield (or both?).
The way it was described is a little difficult to analyze because there's some ambiguity. Save a replay and upload it and tell us where to find it (on Wii U) or link us if you upload online.

Right now I think you are saying you are taking a direct hit and then take a D-tilt follow-up. In which case I would say you should be examining what got you jabbed first and avoid that (look at other options, like a movement option to replace pushing in for an offensive action which would end up getting you baited to hit his shield and taking that jab OoS punish). An an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?
After you've reduced the chances of it happening I'd probably suggest bringing up your own Shield (Jab > D-tilt is probably not a combo, so a 1-frame Shield option could block it and you could punish OoS). If you are at a damage % where you will not be on the ground to start up your Shield then a jump is necessary instead of air-dodging into a worse punish. After you jump and space yourself away send out a N-air to stop your opponent's advance on you, the N-air has little follow-through animation so you should be landing safe with it (and if they advance after it then punish with a jab/D-Tilt or a Grab if they can get a Shield up in time and you know it).
Once you are spaced away and convinced Bowser to square off with your N-air > Jab/D-tilt arguments then get as much distance between the two of you and send him a Gyro to try to play with. Bowsers are dumb creatures that are captivated by technology, so he should be amply distracted, and when he is curiously examining the Gyro that's when you send a searing hot flash of laser right up his shell. This should pop him up into the air or force a Shield if his reaction speed is faster than the average turtle's, if you hit and pop him up then that's your cue to work him with some more mechanical muscle, and if he shields the shot then that should give you just enough time to go pick up the Gyro and toss it around a bit to scare his prehistoric wits out of him enough to stop a full-out charge which gives you more space to fire more lasers and mix up into Grabs/D-Tilts/N-airs and set up for that Beep Boop KO (which is really easy to pull off on such a monstrous beast).
At this point the match really should be yours because not only have you shut down your opponents rather pathetic strategy of "I'm gunna jab and D-tilt him" but you also have gained massive command and heavy momentum of the match. It will just be your game to play at this point and you'll know you are playing it right when your opponent starts crying about how good your character is and how something about the game is not fair or that something is just "off" about their performance/controller. GG

I think a video of your problem should help smooth out anything I've overlooked or wrongly assumed. But the above advice could be applied to your game in general and I'm sure you will reap some kind of reward employing at least some of it.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Interesting question.
As a lot of the above posts suggests, we don't have some early frame miracle move once we are airborne. Maybe fair if they are really trying to stretch out a combo that shouldn't be stretched out. And maybe up air if they are for some reason above you but I could never imagine why.
So like GwJ and Crome suggest, saving jump, and wiggling in some up Bs between hits will help end the combo sooner rather than later. It's know when to do this that is key. Especially against characters like Mario, Sheik, and Fox.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Is it really true that we get invisibility (or super armor) on the start up of UpB? Do you know the frame window?
It's not super armor, it's intangibility I believe. Like when you respawn and people can't interact with you. But we only get like 4 frames at the very beginning, so it helps escape jab combos, fire breath, tilt spam, etc.

Mister Eric Mister Eric can you confirm this for me?

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
T0MMY, indeed I am talking about taking a direct jab in the face and not when I shield it. Thanks for the options you suggested after I avoid the combo, although the problem is to avoid it in the first place :p BTW, avoiding the jab is not actually a good advice since it is the easiest attack to connect from most characters, especially Bowser's that is both fast (for a heavyweight at least) and it has half fd range (feels like it at least :p )

The thing is that the combo that I am being subjected to is not true by any means, but as I described it feels like it and the options that ROB has are not sure that will work. And this is the real question... SDI and DI fast out of the jab will it help the situation? Maybe it is the reason I escape some times. Same thing, happens with sheik's jabs and canceled upairs only that the combos do not actually end up killing me in the ledge at mid %.

Actually, me and I suppose a lot of ROBs in here do the same. Jab 1 ---> grab, with the exception that ppl have an easier way out for some reason. Even with Pika now that I think of it I do this. Landing Cancel short hop fair ---> grab, oppenents and especially ROB cannot seem to avoid it (easily at least).

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
It's not super armor, it's intangibility I believe. Like when you respawn and people can't interact with you. But we only get like 4 frames at the very beginning, so it helps escape jab combos, fire breath, tilt spam, etc.
Do you know where I can find written information about this intangibility on upb (a guide maybe) or even any match online that displays this? I am so curious about it and I kinda doubt its existance (never happened to me or have seen it anywhere). I know ROB is not popular so little chances of this happening :p Maybe... Mr Eric has this intangibility of upb ever occured to any of your videos and saved you from a follow up? Do you have any info about it?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Do you know where I can find written information about this intangibility on upb (a guide maybe) or even any match online that displays this? I am so curious about it and I kinda doubt its existance (never happened to me or have seen it anywhere). I know ROB is not popular so little chances of this happening :p Maybe... Mr Eric has this intangibility of upb ever occured to any of your videos and saved you from a follow up? Do you have any info about it?
http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-s-frame-data.416778/#post-20404351

Kurogane hammer is the dude who's been collecting frame data for the entire cast, it's definitely true. Confirmed by him and Mister Eric.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Thank you man! It is 3 frames then. I would love to see it happening and love it even more if I could perform it to escape the combos mentioned :)

Top Bottom