• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robins Roll Cancel Pivot Grab longer?

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I was in the lab today for about an hour, and I figured out something cool. I figured out that using the momentum from the roll cancel grab and by quickly (very quickly timing is harsh) flicking the control stick after the roll cancel grab you could add more space to the grab with a pivot grab. It adds extra space by combing a pivot grab and the roll cancel grab and you go a bit farther I think from what I can see at least. However, it is very difficult to do for me at least. You also go in the same direction as the original roll cancel grab.

Also I think once I accidentally did a forward smash after the roll cancel grab(instead of grabbing like you normally do, I did a smash attack).I think we should look into that if anyone else hasn't, but I only did it once and it might have been my imagination. I have no way of recording to show you my finding so I want to ask if anyone else has done this, and if they could record it.

Again both statements could be false, but the pivot roll cancel grab thing looks cool with Robin XD. Tell me what you guys think and if you knew about this already and its just old news tell me that too so I could delete this thread. I tend to find things about the game myself. Like Robins third jump before I found it on the interwebs.

Edit: I just measured it and I'm pretty sure this method is like 1/3 longer than a normal roll cancel grab with Robin at least. However, it sometimes doesn't grab the character if it is in front of them like the roll cancel grab, and you will be turned around after grabbing them. You know it works when the pivot makes the big blue circle thing like the roll cancel grab. It looks like you could stop pivot early and it goes shorter too. This could be the most amazing thing for Robin, or it could already be a thing that everyone else knew but me. Still not sure about the roll cancel smash thing tho.

Edit2: video http://youtu.be/BznpEmT2OEk

Last edited:

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
You say it turns you around after you grab them? This could actually be incredibly useful for us to punish standard getup off the ledge since our backthrow kills. If it's any faster or has better frame data/range than our standard pivot grab, that is.

In your first paragraph, you say "...flicking the control stick after the roll cancel grab...", in which direction is that input?
Because RCG is: Control stick -->, L/R, A. So for your tech, is the whole input:
1) Control stick -->, L/R, A, Control stick -->, or
2) Control stick -->, L/R, A, Control stick <-- ?

I'm assuming the latter.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
You say it turns you around after you grab them? This could actually be incredibly useful for us to punish standard getup off the ledge since our backthrow kills. If it's any faster or has better frame data/range than our standard pivot grab, that is.

In your first paragraph, you say "...flicking the control stick after the roll cancel grab...", in which direction is that input?
Because RCG is: Control stick -->, L/R, A. So for your tech, is the whole input:
1) Control stick -->, L/R, A, Control stick -->, or
2) Control stick -->, L/R, A, Control stick <-- ?

I'm assuming the latter.
Sorry i was not specific on the control stick input. It is in the opposite direction of what the roll cancel grab is going. Like i said it is very difficult to do though, and you might just be doing normal pivot grabs or roll canceling after the pivot or just rolling for the first like 100 times probably. By the way it looks to me to be much faster, but i dont have frame data so its not for sure. Sorry for long reply was at school.

Last edited:

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Posted video and sorry about girl friend talking and the quality of said video

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Not sure. I knew about this myself but I've never seen anyone use it. It seems possibly useful, because it does look like a faster (in the sense that you slide more) pivot grab, but I wasn't able to figure out a reliable way to control where I end up when using it (i.e. how far the roll cancel goes) and it seemed unnecessary. At my level of play, adding the extra bit of technical precision is counterproductive, but maybe better players would find it useful.

To use it, we'd have to pin down what exactly this does that a pivot grab doesn't.

Last edited:

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Not sure. I knew about this myself but I've never seen anyone use it. It seems possibly useful, because it does look like a faster (in the sense that you slide more) pivot grab, but I wasn't able to figure out a reliable way to control where I end up when using it (i.e. how far the roll cancel goes) and it seemed unnecessary. At my level of play, adding the extra bit of technical precision is counterproductive, but maybe better players would find it useful.

To use it, we'd have to pin down what exactly this does that a pivot grab doesn't.
From what i can see. It could go throw the opponent completely and grab them. With a pivot grab you have to past them then pivot. This does it all in one quick motion. However, like you said it is difficult to get it going at its maximum range. I see this being more useful for edge guarding techniques, and its just more useful in general for Robin as she is so slow, and has trouble pivot grabbing in general.
Normal pivot grabs with me at least i always just pivot in front on my opponent. This could be used in front of the opponent right away.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
This is a very interesting grabbing technique, very fast and tricky with good range, something people wouldn't normally expect out of Robin. Silverfox would you mind if I used your video?

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
This is a very interesting grabbing technique, very fast and tricky with good range, something people wouldn't normally expect out of Robin. Silverfox would you mind if I used your video?
Nope i wont mind at all

Top Bottom