• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin's Forward Roll Cancel Grab

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
Some new advanced tech was discovered yesterday I think in the 3DS competitive play thread, which is cancelling a forward roll in its initial frames into grab, which gives a notable range improvement. This is possible due to the way the game buffers a roll. The input looks like this:

Forward --> Shield (buffers roll)--> Grab

You'll know you got it working when you see the little flash from the roll appear. Apparently its not possible OOS, and every character can do it to varying degrees of helpfulness. But the boost it gives to Robin is NUTS, especially when pivoted, seriously it extends his grab range quite significantly. Little Mac also benefits a lot from it too, probably the most out of any character, like we needed any more problems from the matchup x.x

How do you guys think this helps our overall game plan?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Sounds useful.If someone could make a vid that would be cool.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
If only Robin's pummel and throw were actually good... *sad*

Vryheid

Smash Rookie
I've tried this move 100+ times with different characters and I simply can't get it to execute. Either it's happening and I'm not realizing it or there's something fundamental in the instructions that isn't very clear. Some things I'm wondering:

1. Do you have to hold forward, shield, or both down as you press grab, or can you let go of them immediately?

2. Do you have to press forward and shield at the same time (the OP makes it sound like they're pressed separately, video says they're pressed at the same time)?

3. Is it possible to consistently execute this cancel grab without actually connecting the grab with the opponent?

4. When this works, does Robin enter the roll animation at all, or does it just look like a slightly extended dash grab (like in the video of Little Mac)?

5. Is there an extremely narrow frame window/precise timing between the roll/grab?

6. Does this window involve hitting grab almost instantly after the roll, or is there a delayed timing to it?

Any help here from anyone who's managed to pull this off would be appreciated.

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
Sorry for double post, ignore the one above this one my phone is stupid and i thought i was replying to something else. I can perform it just fine.

How i see it is you press forward and dont even see the initial frames of the dash animation, then immediately press shield and then grab in quick succession seperately, not at the same time and letting go immediately. It looks precisely like in the video and has more range than pivot. If the shield comes up you aren't doing it, and if roll happens you are too late. Whiffed grab lag still applies.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Robins grab game is a bit better then everybody thinks... Back throw is a great get out of my face move, and up/down throw are ok. I'm going to have to learn this tech.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I've tried this move 100+ times with different characters and I simply can't get it to execute. Either it's happening and I'm not realizing it or there's something fundamental in the instructions that isn't very clear. Some things I'm wondering:

1. Do you have to hold forward, shield, or both down as you press grab, or can you let go of them immediately?

2. Do you have to press forward and shield at the same time (the OP makes it sound like they're pressed separately, video says they're pressed at the same time)?

3. Is it possible to consistently execute this cancel grab without actually connecting the grab with the opponent?

4. When this works, does Robin enter the roll animation at all, or does it just look like a slightly extended dash grab (like in the video of Little Mac)?

5. Is there an extremely narrow frame window/precise timing between the roll/grab?

6. Does this window involve hitting grab almost instantly after the roll, or is there a delayed timing to it?

Any help here from anyone who's managed to pull this off would be appreciated.
Right/Left, Shield, A is all it takes. Not at the same time, but all in very quick succession. :) You'll know if you've done it correctly as it will show the small circle effect that appears when you roll. It looks a lot like a dash grab and its effectiveness changes depending on the character - the difference between dash grabbing and roll cancel grabbing for some characters is pretty much negligible. :)

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Right/Left, Shield, A is all it takes. Not at the same time, but all in very quick succession. :) You'll know if you've done it correctly as it will show the small circle effect that appears when you roll. It looks a lot like a dash grab and its effectiveness changes depending on the character - the difference between dash grabbing and roll cancel grabbing for some characters is pretty much negligible. :)
thanks it seems really handy so ill keep practicing it

Vryheid

Smash Rookie
Thanks, this definitely helped me a lot. The trick is really a lot easier than I thought it would be, I think my main problem was that I was trying to hit the buttons to quickly. I found that it's easy to practice the timing by temporarily setting X as shield for training mode and "rolling" your thumb across shield + attack (after hitting a direction). There also seems to be a little leeway on how far you can roll forward before cancelling into a grab, but I'm not sure if there's a way to control this accurately.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Feels weird to be a tec tester ive been trying to work on the uair spikes as well on shiek to little avail

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see more range than a dash grab would have. I compared Dash Grab and Roll Cancel Grab, so I know I'm pulling it off, but I'm not seeing the point as much for Robin as I do for, say, Little Mac.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I don't really see more range than a dash grab would have. I compared Dash Grab and Roll Cancel Grab, so I know I'm pulling it off, but I'm not seeing the point as much for Robin as I do for, say, Little Mac.
It's not that the hitbox itself reaches further so much as the fact that it propels Robin forward further than his dash grab, and makes it easier to grab someone as a punish.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
It's actually a pretty noticeable increase in distance compared to his dash grab - moreso than several other characters. Unless they're right next to you, this (and its pivoted equivalent) is pretty much how you should grab every time as far as I'm concerned. :)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It took me a while to manage, but I think I have the input down.

Still, Robin is more or less best as a ranged fighter, so I don't think I'm going to use it that much.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Some new advanced tech was discovered yesterday I think in the 3DS competitive play thread, which is cancelling a forward roll in its initial frames into grab, which gives a notable range improvement. This is possible due to the way the game buffers a roll. The input looks like this:

Forward --> Shield (buffers roll)--> Grab

You'll know you got it working when you see the little flash from the roll appear. Apparently its not possible OOS, and every character can do it to varying degrees of helpfulness. But the boost it gives to Robin is NUTS, especially when pivoted, seriously it extends his grab range quite significantly. Little Mac also benefits a lot from it too, probably the most out of any character, like we needed any more problems from the matchup x.x

How do you guys think this helps our overall game plan?
Good info, but I had to highlight it to read it lol. Mind changing your font color to something readable?

Attachments

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
The main use you get out of the roll canceled grab is the advantage it gives out of neutral instead of a dash. The range is a bit larger than the dash grab since it propells you forward a bit more. To do a rc grab out of a foxtrot though, you have to do a true pivot before you can do anything and thus to perform this you would need to foxtrot->true pivot->rc pivot grab which takes place in around 5 frames (a random guess. true pivot is 1 frame anyway and the grab needs to be done fast since you pivot again).

So i would probably just dash grab out of dash and rc grab out of neutral. The rc grab does also feel a little faster than dash grab (again out of neutral) and you get further which explains the better overal range.

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
Good info, but I had to highlight it to read it lol. Mind changing your font color to something readable?
Sorry about that man. It was getting too much for me too, to continuously adjust my eyes to that colour :p I made this account forever ago and should have changed the font while i could.

Anyway all, I find that this helps us best punish rolls, especially behind us. At low percents it lets us do dthrow --> uFSair and other stuff.

Kamikazu

Smash Rookie
Very Useful Technique, increases Grab range even more so than dash grab, placing Robin's grab range into something more like the full range of a roll now.

Thanks for the share.

Top Bottom