• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin's Approach Options

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Hey guys,
Recently I play against VgcbLogic and got trashed, (Sort of). One thing he did tell me was to mix up my approaches from the standard arcfire to fair, dash attack or shorthop aerials. Please share your tricks to approaching with Robin so I don't get embarrassed on stream again. Thanks!

Not sure if this should have been posted elsewhere. Apologies if this is in the wrong spot.

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Prolly should've asked this in The Barracks. Regardless, mixing up approaches is kind of a general thing, as you don't want to get predictable. I don't always go for Arcfire unless it's safe and if not might try a NAir or lone FAir. It just depends on your situation.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
You could go for a dash grab or a shorthop Nosferatu. If all you're doing to approach is Arcfire, dash attack, and aerials, then he just has to put up his shield and counter all three of them. Let him get used to putting up his shield whenever he sees you approach, and then surprise him with a grab or Nosferatu.

I usually just stick to grab because I'm awful at successfully doing shorthop Nosferatu, but if you can do it then you should go for it.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Tomahawking with roll cancel grab is a nice approach if you can pull it off.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Dash grabs are good unless you are playing a roll spammer, and they are easily punished, but I usually sprinkle in a few. Shorthop nosferatu works great, especially when I've trained the opponent to shield my aerials.

Silverfox, I've been trying to roll cancel grab but I'm not super consistent with it. I just need to practice more for it to be a staple in my arsenal.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
This thread confuses me.

Why is Robin approaching?
Because either Robin is in a neutral state to where the enemy can projectile spam all day(Fox) or he needs to gain ground to prevent himself from being cut off the stage.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
This thread confuses me.

Robin's projectiles aren't as spammable as one would hope. If you're up against Samus, Fox, Falco, Pit, Dark Pit, King Dedede, Pac Man, Megaman, or any of the other myriad of characters who have spammable projectiles, you have to approach.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
IDK about that. I would say he just has to reposition himself.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Fight Samus or ROB with Robin and it'll be pretty obvious she has to approach certain characters. She doesn't have any tools to fight long-range between charging your next Elthunder/etc.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Oh right! Sorry EL kinda forgot. I've got Calc 2 homework from here to kingdom come (223 problems) due Tuesday night so what about Wednesday? At say 6 PM?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
i have work unless you gonna be on for awhile. btw what time zone are you in?

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I'm EST too. I'm basically free all day Wednesday. What time would work for you?

Edit: 10 PM will work just fine for me. I look forward to it :colorful:

Edit2: Yeah Silverfox I know, it just kinda happened >_> I tried to mitigate the damage somewhat by posting my replies here.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
This thread confuses me.

I love playing Robins who think this way with R.O.B. on FG 1v1. They start the match standing still waiting for me to approach while eating lasers and Gyro's. Sometimes they even try to charge Thunder in the Gyro/laser rain even though that is like trying to light a match in the shower.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
As I said, idk about actually approach so much as readjusting the range you are playing at.

Also how do you get hit with a laser at long range during neutral state?

Stop fighting bad Robins that don't know how to block.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
As I said, idk about actually approach so much as readjusting the range you are playing at.

Also how do you get hit with a laser at long range during neutral state?

Stop fighting bad Robins that don't know how to block.
For Robin against R.O.B. in order to readjust the range in Robin's favour one will have to approach.

Those Robins on FG did block most of the projectile spam that I threw at them. The problem with that strategy is that if you block R.O.B'.s Gyro he gets it back immediately, which means that he can jump->gyro->jump->gyro etc without having to wait for a moment (jump to increase the range so he does not have to charge). These Gyro's eat away your shield until they can poke through. And then there is also the occasional laser to speed the spam up a bit.

So yeah like them you could try to block them all and then you would only get hit occasionally when you time wrong or when your shield has gotten too small but if I were Robin I would prefer actually fighting back which will require Robin to approach if R.O.B. does not do so.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Or take the Gyro. Thats also an option. Especially since Robin's main strat does not revolve around A moves.

For the record I only want to clarify the difference between going balls deep and simply closing space. Both are "approaching" in the sense that you are moving towards your opponent. But the goals are different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom