• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin in doubles

knepsis

Smash Rookie
What do people think of robin in doubles, is robin a better character, worse?
I think robin gains a lot in doubles, as their partner can cover their edge guards, and let then get thunder charges.
Robin also has great ways to assist their partner in high hitstun moves(to help combo) thoron (as a combo breaker or finisher), and large strong hitboxes to help secure kills.

Faltrazz

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think Robin is awful in doubles. In singles you're able to control space, camp, zone, play keep away, and manage your tomes and levin durability. Robin's strengths are diminished because of the nature of teams, camping is very difficult, and the lack of speed makes it difficult to play support, making her more of a liability. The exception to this being if you team with a character that can 2v1 and support YOU while you control space. The prime example is dath and true blue.

primogenitor34

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrumpiestTurtle
3DS FC
1221-0293-7644
I feel like it'd make sense for Robin to excel in Doubles... I mean, (s)he comes from a game where Pairing Up is the key to victory. However, like Faltrazz mentioned, it has its own challenges. As Robin, spacing is pretty important, but when you're in a team, you have to watch TWO enemies, and you never know where your teammate is gonna whack one of 'em; while you're trying to charge your Thunder, your buddy may inadvertently knock an enemy in your direction, allowing them to biff you with a quick attack before you can retaliate.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
and you never know where your teammate is gonna whack one of 'em; while you're trying to charge your Thunder, your buddy may inadvertently knock an enemy in your direction, allowing them to biff you with a quick attack before you can retaliate.
Dunno, i managed to get some doubles matches yesterday using robin and at least if your teamate sends enemies flying your direction, is usually a boon. Yeah, you may miss that minisecond you needed to turn elthunder into arcthunder, but you on the other hand can Fair and Uair the disaventaged enemy which is way more useful.

On the other han i feel that arcfire transforms into a gigantic double edged sword. to the point that is way too dangerous to use it withouth hindering your teammate.
on the other hand i feel that any 2v1 situation against robin and teammate is basically unwinnable due to thoron.

Astrolibrium

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4425-1657-0708
In my experience, it's a bit of a toss-up.

On the one hand, robin's methods of trapping opponents is huge in doubles. Landing nosferatu, arcfire, or arcthunder on an opponent allows your partner a free followup. These trapping projectiles, though, have the unfortunate drawback of potentially trapping your partner, as well. I've seen arcthunder do this more often than anything else; I've had a teammate go in for a follow up only to be sucked in by the extended parts of the move.

Having a partner does allow robin a bit more breathing room from a zoning perspective, and powerful aerials are a strong asset in team play. Being a projectile user, though, your teammate has to be careful not to get hit by your traps, as that can give your opponents a free KO in the wrong circumstances.

It's risky, due to the nature of strong projectiles and the need for a partner to play around them.

Top Bottom