• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Down Throw Combos (1.1.0)

fauxchienne

Smash Cadet
NNID
erionduro
Hearing about Robin finally having a true combo throw literally made me scream "yes" about 4 times:chuckle: i tried it out on training mode and thought i could share it with my fellow Robin mains
(not official, but Robin does seem a bit faster- that would be amazing, but i have no real way of confirming it just yet. i have missed a few arcfire follow ups from being there too early though, which has never happened to me before)

All combos are tested on mario in training mode, meaning no rage or DI. Assume all aerials/smashes are using Levin Sword
Dthrow ->Fire Jab
Works reliably 0-35%, pushing it a bit at 40-45%, can be escaped at 50%+. highly recommended, racks up 17%

Dthrow -> Wind Jab
Works until 20%, when mario is pushed to the top and could easily DI out. Not recommended, damage varies

Dthrow -> Forward Tilt
Works until around 55%. recommended, great for creating space or knocking off ledge for an easy edge guard. very horizontal knockback. 13% damage

Dthrow -> Down Tilt
Works until about 20-25%. im about 50/50 on this one, enemies can retaliate since theyre plopped right in front of you. 12% damage

Dthrow -> Down Tilt -> Regrab
The reason i do like dthrow into dtilt !!! allows for an easy regrab, which you can again combo into anything mentioned or a forward smash read, since your opponent will most likely airdodge. highly recommended if you can read your opponent

Dthrow- Uptilt
great combo, works until 75-80% can easily combo into upsmash, up air, and more if you get creative with it. does 12% damage

Dthrow-> Neutral Air
works at 45% if youre fast enough, otherwise it works easily from 50-80%. great if youre near the edge because of the horizontal knockback, but there are better options middle of the stage. 13% damage

Dthrow -> Forward Air
works like a charm 50-80%, and your bread and butter for knocking away opponents and racking up easy damage. does 18%

Dthrow -> Up Air
Amazing. works upwards of 80%, and quick double jump might be required at higher percents. great for beginning a fatal juggle, and kills easily at 120%.

Dthrow -> Arcthunder -> Dthrow -> Forward air ( or anything else)
where do i begin. this chain is the holy grail of robin players. this chain has changed my view on life. Easy to land at 50%, does an astounding 34%, and looks f***ing awesome. this is why i only charge to arcthunder.

Dthrow -> Arcfire
I had a little trouble pulling this off on a non DI-ing opponent, but im sure it would work well on someone who DI's away. However, it's in your best interest to be precise with it. if it just nips them while theyre falling, theyll just fall out.

Dthrow -> Thoron+
a bit iffy on this one, if your opponent knows whats up it can lead to a missed thoron. however, getting it is pretty rewarding. works easily at lower percents, gets riskier as you go up to about 60%, where your opponents has to make all the mistakes to get hit by this.

That's all i have so far, ill try experimenting with much more stuff once for glory is back online, since different combos will work much better on DI-ing opponents. All in all i think this buff is exactly what Robin needed to step up their game. I would not be surprised to see them climb up to top 15 tier after this patch, there's just so much you can do with it.

word of advice: dont abuse this at all. it doesnt seem like robin's grab range or cooldown has been improved at all, so going in for too many grabs will mean some sure punishes. Use it wisely like a true tactician!

If anyone discovers any combos i haven't listed here, feel free to post them! These in all honesty are just a few i found while messing around in training, im sure there are some more great combos

Last edited:

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
You can't combo into Nosferatu because there's a cooldown timer on all grabs.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It might be worth noting that you can combo moves like Arcthunder into D-Throw+followup combos for even more damage. Plus it's one of the easier ways to set up a grab anyway.

Phreshoatmeal

Smash Rookie
By the way robins arcthunder will now combo into f smash if shes close enough no matter what. Before it wouldnt work if you were too close. And almost none of these are true combos according to training mode. Dthrow -> utilt will work sometimes and jab too. No aerials are true combos nor is up smash.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
down throw fire wall on % around 60 or 80%.

Actually Fire wall vertical hitbox seem extended to me for this very reason, to make this combo possible.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Dthrow -> Fsmash is a frame trap at 75% or so on a few non-floaty characters, and can net you early KOs by the ledge if they are really antsy and preemptively airdodge.

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for sharing your findings, Faux. If anyone else finds things it would be great to compile them here. I'm still in the experimenting stage myself. I know @ Raziek Raziek was testing out a lot of characters and %s too. Combos out of dthrow seem very weight / % dependant atm.

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
Combos I've done just messing with a level 9 CPU:
DT->Arc thunder->FSmash
DT->Arcthunder->Nosferatu
DT->Arc Thunder-> Arc Fire-> Up Air(Levin)
DT->ArcThunder->DT->Jab->Jab-> wind/fire (depending on percentage)
DT->Jab,Jab,wind/fire

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Half of the stuff in the OP isn't a real combo. Unless it registers in training mode on the combo counter, it's not real.

Jab, U-tilt, U-Smash, Uair are all true combos at varying percents on various characters.

I will be doing extensive testing tonight on a bunch of characters.

Last edited:

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
I did a bit of testing and dthrow into up tilt needs a bit of percent in order for it to work, otherwise the opponent will land in front of you and because of the moves pathetic horizontal distance it won't hit. I tested this on Link in training, and around 10% or high (I didn't have time to test how high the percent can be) dthrow --> uptilt --> upsmash seems like a very good damage rack option, or to condition the opponent into airdodging.

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
At very low %, the wind jab is anyway a better option than the Utilt, no ?
Depends on the character really, if its a floaty, I would advice against it becuase they can just DI out, but against fast fallers and big bodies, you can net a lot more damage.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Do these combos not work on Sheik? For some reason I wasn't able to get them to register as true combos. Am I just messing up or is there not enough hit stun between 0-10%?

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
You can airdodge d-throw up air at kill percents, but I think it's impossible to jump away. It's either a guaranteed 50/50 or there's a way to escape we don't know yet.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
I found that if they have just a straight kick as an aerial like Mario's Nair, they can escape at low percents. They have to do it quick though.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I found that if they have just a straight kick as an aerial like Mario's Nair, they can escape at low percents. They have to do it quick though.
Though that itself only becomes a 50-50 for them. If we anticipate the hit, all we have to do is shield it and punish. Possibly with a regrab.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Though that itself only becomes a 50-50 for them. If we anticipate the hit, all we have to do is shield it and punish. Possibly with a regrab.
Very true, I'll I guess I just need to practice seeing what they do and reacting accordingly.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Characters with fast nairs/fairs can pretty easily punish the startup on Arcthunder during dthrow->arcthunder attempts, since it's not true. It would probably work on less-experienced players, and would be AMAZING in teams for forcing double jumps or airdodges, but Robin's own followups seem a bit less sure.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Yeah, Robin's aerials are a bit slow so they can dodge or hit you before the follow up, I bet there is a lot to learn, if they are high enough you can hit them with the beginning of arcfire and follow up with an Up-Air, all true combo.

Papa Knosp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3411-5814-0300
If you wanna get nifty try this: d-throw whilst delaying the casual levin sword drop -> pivot to drop your sword on the fu*ker (no inputs required for that) -> SH B-reversed Nosferatu.
Can be initiated at around 10% with the last use SH FF Uair with Levin Sword into grab.
Very situational but stylin' ain't easy.

Top Bottom