• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin and SSB4 Advance Movement Techniques

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
These are the kinds of intricacies I was looking forward to seeing. It would be great if they benefit Robin too, because I'm really enjoying playing her and feel like she may really be my main among the toons I like best. But I also recognize that in Smash not all characters need or can benefit equally from all the techs.

http://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-pivot-foxtrotting-dashdancing.371139/

I haven't gotten a chance to try these out yet. Have you? Does Robin seem to benefit greatly from these? Which ones?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I hope so I don't want to test this stuff til wiiu version.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I don't know about anything in that thread, but as far as ATs go, Robin has a really good roll cancel grab:

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I don't know about anything in that thread, but as far as ATs go, Robin has a really good roll cancel grab:

It's pretty much the only way to make her grab range acceptable because it's so poor otherwise.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I'm surprised this thread isn't blowing up more. C'mon Robins, where's your sense of fresh Tactics? The Perfect Pivot might just be the wavedashing of Sm4sh, and it's up to us to find out how Robin can best take advantage of it (even if our PP range is among the smallest of any character).

The only AT of the foxtrot/pivot/etc nature I've been able to use consistently in my game is the turn-around-Ftilt one. Since Robin spends some of her time fleeing, this move can easily catch a pursuing opponent off-guard with its speed and deceptive range.

Edit: Fleeting => Fleeing

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
There's gotta be some ATs revolving around using discarded Levin Swords and Tomes, because I like airdodging into discarded tomes/swords to throw at people. :)

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Oh yes, very much so! Allow me to insert a shameless plug of my partially-finished Robin guide [Superior Tactics]. I've got some basics of equipment throwing in there, but there are some cool things you can do with em, like delaying multiple equipments to all come out at once, tossing one up in the air, throwing the second at the opponent, catching the first one and throwing it, etc...the equipment is so important to Robin play, I plan on practicing with it as much as possible and developing such techniques.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm surprised this thread isn't blowing up more. C'mon Robins, where's your sense of fresh Tactics? The Perfect Pivot might just be the wavedashing of Sm4sh, and it's up to us to find out how Robin can best take advantage of it (even if our PP range is among the smallest of any character).

The only AT of the foxtrot/pivot/etc nature I've been able to use consistently in my game is the turn-around-Ftilt one. Since Robin spends some of her time fleeing, this move can easily catch a pursuing opponent off-guard with its speed and deceptive range.

Edit: Fleeting => Fleeing
It's not blowing up because, well, you said it yourself: our PP range is among the smallest of any character. Robin has very little use for Perfect Pivots, unlike someone like, say, Luigi or Shulk.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
It's not blowing up because, well, you said it yourself: our PP range is among the smallest of any character. Robin has very little use for Perfect Pivots, unlike someone like, say, Luigi or Shulk.
That is in fact true, but I'd like to think the possible uses, though small, aren't -absolutely zero-. It's a pretty recent technique though so I guess a little patience is in order here.

Aside from that, there are any number of things you could call "advanced movement techniques" that could be beneficial. B-reverses and wavebounces among them, though they're more in the way of aerial movement.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
It's more of a problem with SSB4's change of techniques. There's very few "Advanced" techniques unlike Brawl or Melee where there were more techs to use. Unless you're somebody like Peach or Diddy with techniques relating to items it's more difficult to find character-specific techs. Like how Robin had a DACUS before the patch.

It's kind of why Perfect Pivot, throwing discarded tomes/swords and more recently the Item Glide techs are popping up around here.

Actually, there should be more research on Item Glide since Robin can produce items, and discarded tomes/swords have good KO power. :)

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
I disagree with this statement. Perfect Pivot is good on Robin as it gives nigh infinite options out of a foxtrot if we need to cover space. Pivot jab, ftilt, and Thunders (all except Thoron) are all beneficial for spacing, stuffing approaches, and being an all around nuisance.

Movement options are super important, and should always be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
There isn't a huge stockpile of ATs, but they seem to be being discovered at a fairly rapid pace. While not all of them are of sublime usefulness with Robin, I agree with Dark Lady's opinion that we need to be aware of all of our movement options and any opportunity these movement techs might give us, even if we have among the shortest PPs in the game.

Oh, there is Item Gliding in this game eh? That could be tremendously useful for us. This definitely merits some looking into...

Rikke

Smash Rookie
NNID
SageDragoon
3DS FC
0473-8198-9847
One way of increasing Robin's perfect pivot would be to Jump cancel glide toss during the perfect pivot, you combine the two really short distance slides together to create a "okay" one, that still can lead into interesting set ups.

Rikke

Smash Rookie
NNID
SageDragoon
3DS FC
0473-8198-9847
After Watching a lot of Pac-Men at Apex, I noticed that they would empty jump and Z-drop their fruits to create a wall, So I started thinking why haven't we been doing this with robin that gives us so many more options!

So long story short after going into the Lab I found out that when you Z-drop Robin's Tomes and Swords they have the EXACT (and if not very close to the) same Fall speed as robin, Well what does that mean? it means you can Z-Drop your Item out of an empty jump, then Do an Aerial Smash (with the C-Stick) or N-Air and that will IMMEDIATELY! grab the tome or sword, no longer do we have to make the decision of tossing the book to do our Normals.Not only that it provides a great Mix-up if we move forward or backwards for a short-hopped aerial, sure they roll away from our aerial, but if they roll into the book we can make a nice follow up out of it. From this we have gained an option to comeback to the ground a lot easier,a nice Mix-up, and I'm hoping that soon we will find ways to keep swords and tomes with us for an entire match through juggling.EDIT: also if you didn't know if your opponent blocks a thrown Item you can grab it again before it touches the ground, those tomes and levin swords do a LOT of shield damage, don't be afraid to pressure a little. =)

I think a good way we could improve Robin, would be to copy/imitate things that other characters are trying, this is one of those examples albeit situational, but it's not that hard to do. All in all i'm just saying Robin's options aren't as limited as we think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom