• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Match Up Help

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
ROB is the one character that I just cannot seem to beat when fighting against a Really good ROB player, does any one have any advice for this match up? I get close sometimes but can't seem to win.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
General tips:

- Start the match by shielding a possible laser. Don't pull a banana straight away.
- Don't approach gyros. As Admiral Ackbar would say: "It's a trap."
- Each ROB has different patterns of lasers and gyro shooting. Try to learn them.
- ROB's dair and bair have ending lag. Try to bait them.
- Learn the timing of the full duration of ROB's side-b under shield. Some moves have a bit of a longer duration when making contact with something. This means you might be tempted to drop shield early. Try not to do this.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
ROB main here. ROB is huge and extremely easy to get multiple hits off of when he's up in the air. Fish for dthrows and let the juggling begin.

For how good the distance is in ROB's recovery, he's basically helpless throughout it unless he wants to start using a (very likely very laggy) aerial. Getting a gimp with your Forward Air is very possible.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
General tips:

- Start the match by shielding a possible laser. Don't pull a banana straight away.
- Don't approach gyros. As Admiral Ackbar would say: "It's a trap."
- Each ROB has different patterns of lasers and gyro shooting. Try to learn them.
- ROB's dair and bair have ending lag. Try to bait them.
- Learn the timing of the full duration of ROB's side-b under shield. Some moves have a bit of a longer duration when making contact with something. This means you might be tempted to drop shield early. Try not to do this.
I used a lot of the things you told me during grand finals a few minutes ago in an online tournament, I got waaay closer than when I fought the ROB player before, since we were both at high percents last stock, sadly I lost, but I am for sure getting better at the match up.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
ROB main here. ROB is huge and extremely easy to get multiple hits off of when he's up in the air. Fish for dthrows and let the juggling begin.

For how good the distance is in ROB's recovery, he's basically helpless throughout it unless he wants to start using a (very likely very laggy) aerial. Getting a gimp with your Forward Air is very possible.
One thing I struggled with was that he would DI my down throw up air, and he was punishing my air dodges with an up air.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
One thing I struggled with was that he would DI my down throw up air, and he was punishing my air dodges with an up air.
If he DIs the Down Throw, you should still be able to hit hit with your Fair or Bair, and even get multiple Bairs in at that.

If he gives you his own Down Throw Up Air, don't air dodge, jump away. It's very easy to wait for an airdodge after ROB's down throw and catch them with an Up Air afterwords. It's a lot harder to follow up if they jump away.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I used a lot of the things you told me during grand finals a few minutes ago in an online tournament, I got waaay closer than when I fought the ROB player before, since we were both at high percents last stock, sadly I lost, but I am for sure getting better at the match up.
Good! Glad to hear it helped. ROB is tough to figure out. Try playing as him for a bit. You might find you "get" him more and can better identify and exploit his weaknesses.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Bumping for specific help on Robs Dthrow Uair.
I have been fooling around at different percents against rob, and i CAN NOT figure out if it is possible to DI/SDI out of robs Uair.
does anyone know if this is possible? i seem to be able to input a jump at a lower percent than i could begin to get out of it with DI

1FC0

Smash Lord
Bumping for specific help on Robs Dthrow Uair.
I have been fooling around at different percents against rob, and i CAN NOT figure out if it is possible to DI/SDI out of robs Uair.
does anyone know if this is possible? i seem to be able to input a jump at a lower percent than i could begin to get out of it with DI
You can DI to the side to try to evade this, and if you have enough damage or R.O.B. enough rage than you can air dodge to avoid this combo completely.

Edit: If you meant after you got hit with Uair, I can not remember a single time that someone got hit with the Uair in this combo and got out of it before the ending. Though I have had people escape in other situations.

Last edited:

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I had HUGE issues with rob players but this (for me at least) sloved a lot of my issues. Bananas and Jump cancel gilde tossing. I won't go to much detail I'll make an other post after this but if you use those two things to keep him at bay you should be fine but beware of Jirows. (if I spelled that right XD)

Top Bottom