• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RMT: Newbie's Team

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hi guys! I'd love to have my team rated! I am fairly useless in the competitive world of Pokemon so I'd really appreciate some input =)

Backstory: So I decided to make an all Fairy-type party for the purposes of the main story line since it's a new type I have never tried before and wanted to see what they were about. I knew there would be certain roadbumps along the way but I finally managed to beat the game! I finally explored the "Battle Spot" and I fought person after person. In the few days I spent there, I almost always lost to the same few Pokemon over and over namely Talonflame, Aegislash, and (Mega) Gengar. I got sick of it and wanted to know the joys of winning against those Pokemon... at least a few times, haha. So I did some exploring (many hours) just seeing what kind of Pokemon typing and abilities were out there. A few stood out to me for their ability or their defenses, and the rest were filling any gaps there may have been. I learned about Natures, IVs, and EVs which seemed like a hassle but I wanted to incorporate that in my party. Eventually, I found a site called Smogon which is all about competition and it seemed to be a trove of information which did influence my party. Of course, I haven't played competitively yet (even up to this point) so I really do not know how effective my team may or may not be.

Anyway, here's my team =)

Amaryllis / Light Clay
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magic Bounce
EV: 252 HP, 252 Speed
-Psychic
-Grass Knot
-Reflect
-Light Screen

This was inspired by a battle I fought against somebody who used both Reflect and Light Screen. I got completely destroyed by that so I wanted to include that in my new party! I also liked the ability to reflect status moves.

Reveur / Black Sludge
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Infiltrator
-Cross Poison
-U-turn
-Haze
-Defog

In case I was overwhelmed by increased stats or the hazards, this guy would hopefully bail me out. He does lack a flying type move though.

Chattel / Assault Vest
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EV: 252 HP, 252 Defense
-Discharge
-Volt Switch
-Dark Pulse
-Hydro Pump

I found this unique typing combination would be extremely helpful against Talonflame, and perhaps Aegislash too. The stats showed it had good defenses so I wanted to improve them as best I could.

Ripple / Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EV: 252 HP, 252 Attack
-Wild Charge
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Extreme Speed

I just wanted a fire type since I felt my team needed one. I love Arcanine so I decided to put it in my team as an attacker.

Gatsby / Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
-Night Slash
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance

I saw this Pokemon's ability and typing and instantly knew I had to have it. It seemed perfect to deal with Gengars and Aegislashes so long as it doesn't die.

Lacie / Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EV: 252 Attack, 252 Speed
-Bullet Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch
-Hi Jump Kick

I wanted to have a Mega Pokemon and when I saw the... "Aladdin" inspired look for its Mega form, I knew I had to have it. There is no rational reason behind having this one in my team. =P

I hope that my team is decent and didn't make you guys burst in laughter. =)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Your team seems pretty balanced.

Dual screeners are generally found in hyper offense teams, a hyper offense team is one where they have something that sets up stealth rocks/double screens, and then the rest of their pokemon are like Swords Dance/Dargon Dance/Nasty Plot users.

I'd say the weakest link of your party is probably Medicham, but only because that poor Pokemon has always been garbage. Personally I'd replace it with Mega Mawile, BUUUUUT I don't want to sound like one of those people who are like "replace this this and this" because that's not really fun. x:

I think put Will O Wisp on your Rotom and replace Dark Pulse with Thunder Bolt (discharge if you're feeling haxxy)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Hi guys! I'd love to have my team rated! I am fairly useless in the competitive world of Pokemon so I'd really appreciate some input =)

I'm not gonna suggest pokemon replacements until the end, but I'll just make my changes in here like this. Pretty good for a first team btw :)

Anyway, here's my team =)

Amaryllis / Leftovers Light Clay
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magic Bounce
-Psychic
-Grass Knot / Hidden Power Fire
-Reflect
-Light Screen

Light Clay helps dual screeners a lot by extending the length of screens from 5 turns to 8 turns, which benefits your team much more. Grass Knot is a fine move to hit Tyranitar, but you could also use Hidden Power Fire to better hurt Ferrothorn/Forretress/Skarmory, which are the opponents Espeon is probably trying to switch in on to prevent entry hazards.

Reveur / Black Sludge Sharp Beak/Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EV: 252 HP Atk, 252 Speed
-Cross Poison / Brave Bird
-U-turn
-Haze Roost
-Defog / Brave Bird

Haze is not a very efficient move to use, and Crobat's offenses are lacking with no EVs. I feel like using a different pokemon here would work better, but at the same time turning it into a more offensive set might help you out also. Infiltrator is a useful ability because this means Crobat can speed tie with Mega Gengar and KO it while it's behind the Sub with Brave Bird if it wins the tie. I don't know how many people run Modest MegaGar but a 50% chance of beating timid ones after it subs is kind of nice. I don't actually think you need Defog or Cross Poison on this team but I can see why you might want to keep either of them.

Chattel / Assault Vest Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EV: 252 HP, 252 Defense
-Discharge
-Volt Switch
-Dark Pulse Pain Split/Will-o-wisp
-Hydro Pump

I don't think Assault Vest is a good choice since rotom-w doesn't have the raw HP to continually tank hits. Pain Split will help it survive longer, and Will-o-wisp helps it check setup threats like Aegislash/sand rush excadrill who can run through your team with a bit of setup.

Ripple / Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
-Wild Charge
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Extreme Speed

Arcanine's biggest asset is its overall stat total being fairly high. If you want to run a bulky set, fit Morning sun on there (probably over Wild Charge) to help it stick around longer. If you want to run an offensive set, move its HP EVs to Speed and consider running a Jolly nature as well to get the jump on Lucario. You could also consider running Toxic over Wild Charge, as no matter what it won't be able to muscle through the really bulky water-types and can only really hit Gyarados/Talonflame with it.

Gatsby / Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EV: 252 HP Spe, 252 Attack
-Night Slash
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance

With Defog, Focus Sash is viable, but if you choose to get rid of Defog then you should change the item here. Bisharp's coverage is limited but you have it paired with medicham to beat steel-types, which it hopefully can do.

Lacie / Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EV: 252 Attack, 252 Speed
-Bullet Punch / Substitute / Bulk Up
-Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Hi Jump Kick

Medicham is a fine mega that hasn't seen much use yet. Its speed is definitely improved enough after mega-evolving to sweep, so I'd consider a different take on it to abuse its stats better. Try it and see if it works out, cuz Medicham is still frail and might not have the time to set up Bulk Up.
Now, all things considered, this team has a few glaring weaknesses.

1: Mold Breaker Excadrill, who can EQ through Rotom-W and sweep most of your team pretty easily. In fact, basically any sweeper with Earthquake that has a way to beat Rotom-W will have enough power to muscle through your team.
2: Fast pokemon that aren't weak to Sucker Punch, either with a Choice Scarf or naturally high Speed or using a move like Dragon Dance
3: Talonflame/Azumarill after Rotom-W is weakened or eliminated.
4: Opposing speed-boosting pokemon

Strategies to beat those pokemon usually would require something with a Choice Scarf that synergizes well with the rest of your team, or paralyzing/statusing them and then stalling them out. I won't suggest pokemon replacements though unless you want me to, as it's good practice for you to try and figure out what works and what doesn't on your own! Each team is different, so explore this one a bit and it'll help you to build new teams in the future. I put asterisks around the pokemon I would personally consider replacing, but think about the way you will try to win the game and see how you want to make it happen. :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Thanks you two! It does seem like some changes will need to happen =P

I will give it some thought. Oops my Espeon does have Light Clay.

I am a bit unsure about the Choice items... I know the boost is good but is it really worth locking 3 other moves?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Choice items (scarf especially) imo are the most broken items in the game, and heavily reward good prediction.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh I see. I will have to farm Battle Points again then.

I will have to take my time... breeding Pokemon takes so much time, haha.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
So I would just like to point out that Rotom-W can't actually get Pain Split in-game as of current, as it's from the BW2 move tutor. Kirbyraeg advised it, so I figured I'd inform.

Kirby's advice is otherwise pretty spot-on.

Top Bottom