• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[RMT] My First Uber Team

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I decided to try my hand at Ubers the other day and the results I had with this team were mixed at best and really bad at worst.

Deoxys-E (S? What are they calling it now?) @ Lum Berry
Jolly
252 Atk/6 Def/252 Speed
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Superpower
Taunt

My lead who can occasionally serve as a revenge killer if I decide to pull him out before he dies. Generally though, he just goes in, taunts, and sets up traps until the opponent kills him since he's usually fast enough to do so. Superpower give him less leverage against other Deoxys-S leads, namely ones with Extremespeed, but like I said it gives him a double function as a revenge killer against Darkrai, Tyranitar, Weavile, and pretty much anyone he outspeeds (haven't tested it on a Blissey but I think it could work pretty decently).

Giratina @ Leftovers
Impish
248 HP/248 Def/12 SpD
Dragon Claw
Rest
Sleep Talk
Will-O-Wisp

My EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTING physical wall. It might be just because I'm new to Pokemon in general so I don't know how to use him or what, but he just seems so much worse than what I've read about on Smogon. He's weak to really common moves like Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, and Shadow Ball and when I switch in with him I usually don't get anywhere. At the very least I'm thinking about changing the EV spreads to something like 248 HP/160 Def/100 SpD so that he can have >300 Special Defense and survive longer than the one turn it takes my opponent to switch to whatever they have with Ice Beam. Dragon Claw is also nearly useless and I rarely use it. I'm strongly considering replacing him with Lugia but that really doesn't help the typing problem at all (although I guess it makes the team resistant to EQ).

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 SpD
Aura Sphere
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Taunt

This guy is ok as a special sweeper of sorts. Taunt works beautifully on him but I do have a few concerns about his type coverage and I'm thinking about replacing one of the moves with Ice Beam. I also question his place in the team...I mainly just put him in here for the "zomg Mewtwo" factor lol.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Hasty
4 Atk/252 Speed/252 SpA
Fire Blast
Spacial Rend
Surf
Thunder

This guy originally had Outrage over Thunder and was a mixed sweeper/anti-weather guy but I decided to nix the mixed sweeper part in favor of Thunder since it's just too good to pass up in the rain. Even so, this guy has been really underperforming and he'll likely be on the chopping block soon. His typing makes him weak to enough that he dies to a lot of threats pretty easily and he doesn't really put as much of a dent in the opponent's team as I'd like.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
Ice Beam
Softboiled
Thunder
Wish

I was really reluctant to put Bliss on my team at first but she has proven to be an MVP. She's easily my best anti-rain person because of Thunder and she is just a really solid wall in general. Unless my opponent packs Taunt, I generally don't have any problems holding off with her. I've also experimented with Calm Mind over Wish and I can't really decide what I like more. Thoughts?

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 HP/56 Atk/200 SpD
Crunch
Earthquake
Pursuit
Stone Edge

TTar is pretty good I guess, but I mostly only use him for Pursuit. Because of that, I'm thinking about switching him out for Scizor, Weavile, or Darkrai (he learns Pursuit, right?). Sand Stream usually hurts my team more than it helps it, which is the main reason I'm considering the switch.

Please help. This team is not performing well at all.

Chiko_

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, the transition from the OU to the Uber metagame isn't so bad. The Uber metagame is probably the least diverse of all the tiers, so it's easy to get used to.

As for Giratina, it was pretty cool early DP before people realized how great of a move Outrage was, hence the hype in the Smogon analysis. Now, however, it's just a waste of space unless you have a huge Metagross and Groudon weak, which you don't. It's not like the latter is totally harmless though, but it definitely could've been worse lol.

Also, your Blissey is doing absolutely nothing. Toxic is a necessity and is Blissey's most damaging move in Uber as it hits every Special Attackers (althrough you still fall against Taunt Mewtwo and Safeguard Lati, but Tyranitar handles them both to an extent) and most common switch-ins. Thunder is a 3HKO on a 0 hp/0 sdef Kyogre at best if Kyogre runs Leftovers, so you shouldn't expect to do much at all against other Pokémon, even when super effective. Seismic Toss is a more reliable option, althrough you'll lose the 30% paralyze chance from Thunder. If you intend to keep Blissey however, I'd equip it with Shed Shell. It's setup fodder to Wobbuffet and if something like a SD Rayquaza happends to get a Swords Dance it's literally over.

Speaking of Rayquaza, yes, it does indeed 6-0 your team without much effort. All it needs is a Swords Dance and then it will proceed to either Dragon Claw or ExtremeSpeed your entire team for a OHKO if Stealth Rock is on the field. As a solution I'd give Groudon a try. Personally I'm running Adamant 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def @ Leftovers to always OHKO Rayquaza after Stealth Rock damage and yet have a slight chance surviving a +2 LO Outrage from a Jolly Rayquaza. The set I'm running is TWave/SD/EQ/Stone Edge. In addition, TWave compliments Tyranitar pretty well. For starters, Reflect Lugia is a common switch-in on any Groudon really, and if you get it paralyzed Lugia can no longer stall out Tyranitar's PP. Also, Tyranitar can 2HKO a lot of Pokémon in Ubers, and being faster is obviously really helpful.
Anyway, Groudon is good check against Metagross as well so if you feel you can deal with opposing Groudon's well enough I'd say replace Giratina with Groudon.

In addition to Groudon I want you to consider Scarf Dialga as your whole situation against physical sweepers still isn't very good. Yeah, Ubers are powerful and you're going to need to back-up Groudon if you wish to have a solid defensive backbone. Scarf Dialga is pretty great, checking SD Ray, Garchomp, Lucario, and even Groudon. This is of course ONLY if you know Swords Dance is coming, but even if not you can still revengekill them all.

Have fun with your team, and good luck getting used to the transition. :)

DonkeyKongUh

Smash Cadet
Don't know much about ubers, but I do know that priority moves **** hard (mostly extremespeed)

drcossack

Smash Ace
My thoughts in bold

So I decided to try my hand at Ubers the other day and the results I had with this team were mixed at best and really bad at worst.

Deoxys-E (S? What are they calling it now?) @ Lum Berry
Jolly
252 Atk/6 Def/252 Speed
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Superpower
Taunt

My lead who can occasionally serve as a revenge killer if I decide to pull him out before he dies. Generally though, he just goes in, taunts, and sets up traps until the opponent kills him since he's usually fast enough to do so. Superpower give him less leverage against other Deoxys-S leads, namely ones with Extremespeed, but like I said it gives him a double function as a revenge killer against Darkrai, Tyranitar, Weavile, and pretty much anyone he outspeeds (haven't tested it on a Blissey but I think it could work pretty decently).

Focus Sash over Lum Berry IMO - unless you're going up against a Scarf Darkrai Lead (which isn't all that common), Deoxys will get 2 turns of Setup.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Impish
248 HP/248 Def/12 SpD
Dragon Claw
Rest
Sleep Talk
Will-O-Wisp

My EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTING physical wall. It might be just because I'm new to Pokemon in general so I don't know how to use him or what, but he just seems so much worse than what I've read about on Smogon. He's weak to really common moves like Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, and Shadow Ball and when I switch in with him I usually don't get anywhere. At the very least I'm thinking about changing the EV spreads to something like 248 HP/160 Def/100 SpD so that he can have >300 Special Defense and survive longer than the one turn it takes my opponent to switch to whatever they have with Ice Beam. Dragon Claw is also nearly useless and I rarely use it. I'm strongly considering replacing him with Lugia but that really doesn't help the typing problem at all (although I guess it makes the team resistant to EQ).

For the most part, Ubers is centered around offense/sweeping. If you want to replace Gira, go with the standard Kyogre - Timid with Choice Scarf (That gives him 459 Speed. I run Modest for 418 Speed, but there's no real difference, since it can't outspeed other Scarfer anyway.)

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 SpD
Aura Sphere
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Taunt

This guy is ok as a special sweeper of sorts. Taunt works beautifully on him but I do have a few concerns about his type coverage and I'm thinking about replacing one of the moves with Ice Beam. I also question his place in the team...I mainly just put him in here for the "zomg Mewtwo" factor lol.

Psychic types aren't all that common in Ubers - Deoxys-E (Speed Forme) leads are, but they don't do much besides set up entry hazards. Go with Ice Beam - I don't see Giratina, Ho-Oh, & Lugia that often, but for everything else: you hit Chomp and Rayquaza for 4x damage, Groudon for x2, and you're neutral on everything else other than Kyogre. Some people will use Wobbuffet, so, after something dies, switch Mewtwo in & Taunt - you get a free turn to CM.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Hasty
4 Atk/252 Speed/252 SpA
Fire Blast
Spacial Rend
Surf
Thunder

This guy originally had Outrage over Thunder and was a mixed sweeper/anti-weather guy but I decided to nix the mixed sweeper part in favor of Thunder since it's just too good to pass up in the rain. Even so, this guy has been really underperforming and he'll likely be on the chopping block soon. His typing makes him weak to enough that he dies to a lot of threats pretty easily and he doesn't really put as much of a dent in the opponent's team as I'd like.

Actually, his only weakness is Dragon. That said, instead of Lustrous Orb, give him Scarf. Palkia's base 100 Speed, so Timid (or any +Speed Nature) hits 492 after Scarf. After that, your only offensive threat is +Speed Scarf Garchomp (499 Speed), but Palkia won't be locked into Outrage, so it doesn't matter.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
Ice Beam
Softboiled
Thunder
Wish

I was really reluctant to put Bliss on my team at first but she has proven to be an MVP. She's easily my best anti-rain person because of Thunder and she is just a really solid wall in general. Unless my opponent packs Taunt, I generally don't have any problems holding off with her. I've also experimented with Calm Mind over Wish and I can't really decide what I like more. Thoughts?

No opinion on Blissey, I don't use her. As usual, she can't really survive against Physical Sweepers.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 HP/56 Atk/200 SpD
Crunch
Earthquake
Pursuit
Stone Edge

TTar is pretty good I guess, but I mostly only use him for Pursuit. Because of that, I'm thinking about switching him out for Scizor, Weavile, or Darkrai (he learns Pursuit, right?). Sand Stream usually hurts my team more than it helps it, which is the main reason I'm considering the switch.

Darkrai DOES learn Pursuit, but it doesn't have a good Attack stat. If you're going to include Darkrai, it'd be better as a Special Sweeper, but you already have two very strong Special Sweepers in Mewtwo & Palkia. Put in a better Physical Sweeper - Garchomp, Groudon, & Rayquaza are the 3 I use most

Please help. This team is not performing well at all.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Agreed with drcossack up there, put a Scarf on Palkia to revenge kill things.

Stop using Bold on Blissey, it increases its defense a whole 11 points while Calm increases her special defense by however much you run (at least 30 points).

You need something to absorb dragon attacks, go put a Metagross or something over your Giratina as it's not doing much right now.

drcossack

Smash Ace
SD Garchomp just lols at this. Lugia> Giratina. Lugia can come in and Whirlwind away the SD and walls Chomp easier.
Who said anything about SDChomp? The only successful Chomp in Ubers is Scarfchomp, and Luga can't take too many hits from Stone Edge.

Chiko_

Smash Apprentice
Focus Sash over Lum Berry IMO - unless you're going up against a Scarf Darkrai Lead (which isn't all that common), Deoxys will get 2 turns of Setup.
.. What? For the past couple of months, Deoxys-Speed and Scarf Darkrai has by far been the most common leads, appearing more then twice as much as any other leads. This month however, Kyogre, and to a lesser extent Groudon, is now up there with them, but Scarf Darkrai is still one of the most dominant leads in Ubers. With Blissey and Giratina's presence though, Lum Berry is kinda pointless, so I don't necessarily disagree.

Who said anything about SDChomp? The only successful Chomp in Ubers is Scarfchomp
I disagree wholeheartly with this statement. CBChomp is a great wallbreaker 2HKOing some of its most common switch-ins such as Lugia and Groudon whereas Scarfchomp only 3HKO, even after residual damage.

However, I agree with your statement about Lugia. CBChomp will 2HKO even without Stealth Rock. Besides, Sandstream works against Lugia, allowing even Scarfchomp to 2HKO Lugia 95.60% of the time with Stealth Rock on the field, and lets face it; it's gonna be.
My suggestion of adding both Groudon and Scarved Dialga cover pretty much any version of Garchomp once you figure out its item in addition to dealing with any physical Dragon in Uber.

Speed is the best defence in Ubers. For a dedicated wall to work propertly they'll need to be at 100% throughout the match, because a lot of Pokémon are capable of at least 2HKOing anything. What bugs me about this team is the walling mentality. Using dedicated walls just leaves you in a bad position if a Pokémon dies, which is why I suggest you rather opt for checks. A check can cover more Pokémon and you don't have to be at 100% to deal with a Pokémon effectively. I used a team with 2 Dragon weaknesses and 0 resistances to it and had a lot of success on the ladder simply because I could check and deal with every single Dragon (I had to Wobbuffet a couple of them, though, the point still stands).

ss118

Smash Master
where the **** did this guy come from?

he has 79 posts and I'm thinking he's better than the majority of people here.

Top Bottom