• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My point being is that Master Hand did not fit as a playable character because of the way he operates.
He is constantly flying, and his attacks are essentially flashy sequences. He's borderline overpowered. They would obviously not make him part of the roster. Ridley fits in this same scheme. Also, he is more often than not depicted as very large.
I'll admit for the most part Metroid doesn't have much to offer in the way of fitting characters for SSB (**** Hunters that doesn't count). Ridley is certainly the closest. But even as the closest he's still a long ways off.
Ridley isn't that large. And even if he is, BOWSER IS AT LEAST EIGHT TIMES THE SIZE OF MARIO IN SUPER MARIO GALAXY, AT LEAST THREE TIMES HIS SIZE IN MARIO 64, AND WEIGHS WAY OVER 1,000 POUNDS!!!

And flying around=??? Seriously, META KNIGHT, PIT, AND CHARIZARD CAN FLY!!!

Did you miss that, or were you too stupid TO UNLOCK STARTER CHARACTERS=???

And who made you the GOD of choosing who fits in "Smash Bros," a game that has minimal, if any logical choices, considering we got dinosaurs, humans, aliens, psychic teenagers, electric rodents, dragons (Ridley is a dragon like Charizard, too), talking hedgehogs, government agents, robots=??? swordsmen with magic, penguins, and freaking Eskimos who can summon ice=??

Go back to GameFAQs, and don't come back. GTFO here.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This is what I meant by "all logic and reasoning thrown out".
alright, being serious right now.
this hack shows it would not be bad at least.

also, obviously ridley would have his own moveset, but this is just a hack. just saying now so you don't go off saying he would be a clone

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Ridley isn't that large. And even if he is, BOWSER IS AT LEAST EIGHT TIMES THE SIZE OF MARIO IN SUPER MARIO GALAXY, AT LEAST THREE TIMES HIS SIZE IN MARIO 64, AND WEIGHS WAY OVER 1,000 POUNDS!!!

And flying around=??? Seriously, META KNIGHT, PIT, AND CHARIZARD CAN FLY!!!

Did you miss that, or were you too stupid TO UNLOCK STARTER CHARACTERS=???

And who made you the GOD of choosing who fits in "Smash Bros," a game that has minimal, if any logical choices, considering we got dinosaurs, humans, aliens, psychic teenagers, electric rodents, dragons (Ridley is a dragon like Charizard, too), talking hedgehogs, government agents, robots=??? swordsmen with magic, penguins, and freaking Eskimos who can summon ice=??

Go back to GameFAQs, and don't come back. GTFO here.
Bowser's size changes are magic/supernatural powers. This is more than once indicated in the series.
The flying characters have to put effort into flying. Ridley practically hovers.
They have developed a logical pattern of character choices. I am making an analysis based on that pattern. Who are you to say who should be in the game? See I can do that too.

Btw I don't know why I'm being told to "go back to GameFAQs" I have nothing to do with it and hardly know anything about it.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
My point being is that Master Hand did not fit as a playable character because of the way he operates.
He is constantly flying, and his attacks are essentially flashy sequences. He's borderline overpowered. They would obviously not make him part of the roster. Ridley fits in this same scheme. Also, he is more often than not depicted as very large.
I'll admit for the most part Metroid's cast doesn't have much to offer in the way of fitting characters for SSB (**** Hunters that doesn't count). Ridley is certainly the closest. But even as the closest he's still a long ways off.
You're taking Master Hand's implementation as a boss and applying that to the idea Ridley as a playable character, and IMO you can't really compare the two because Master Hand was created to be a boss, thus meant to be "overpowered" at least in some sense. Ridley as a playable character obviously would be balanced (yes, that is possible), and not be implemented in the same manner as a boss typically would be

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
He clearly isn't going to listen to any of the arguments/evidence we've posted against his "argument." Somebody should report this thread.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
You're taking Master Hand's implementation as a boss and applying that to the idea Ridley as a playable character, and IMO you can't really compare the two because Master Hand was created to be a boss, thus meant to be "overpowered" at least in some sense. Ridley as a playable character obviously would be balanced out (which is possible), and not be implemented in the same manner as a boss typically would be
What? Not only did Ridley begin as a boss with extra special powers, this was translated as such in Brawl. The devs seem recognize Ridley that way.
It is possible to condense him to a character, but the believability would be ruined.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Bowser's size changes are magic/supernatural powers. This is more than once indicated in the series.
The flying characters have to put effort into flying. Ridley practically hovers.
They have developed a logical pattern of character choices. I am making an analysis based on that pattern. Who are you to say who should be in the game? See I can do that too.

Btw I don't know why I'm being told to "go back to GameFAQs" I have nothing to do with it and hardly know anything about it.
at this point I am really curious who you think will be in the game. please, express your prediction.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They have to put effort into flying. Ridley practically hovers.

Bowser's size changes due to bullcrap designers wanting the right sized boss, and because they don't give two craps about his size consistently, unlike ingrate idiots like you.

Ridley flies, but so does Meta Knight, Charizard, and Pit. He doesn't need to hover, despite your bullcrap theorycrafting based on your experiences with your mom telling you to stop licking your toes that you just put in the oven and roasted for a few good seconds.

And yes, Pit, Meta Knight, Charizard, and yes, even Mario, Luigi, Lucario, and Mewtwo can hover in their games. Your point=??? Oh right, you have none.

Please, go back to whatever cave hole you came from. Your opinion is worthless, and it is dead wrong. You got 20 people telling you you're an idiot. Why would we lie to you=???

And you're from some stupid anti-Ridley GameFAQs group, don't crap on me idiot man. I bet you even think wavedashing in Melee is a hack, which is another reason your parents are getting a divorce from you, and are probably gonna drop you off at a pet store like all the other abandoned animals.
He clearly isn't going to listen to any of the arguments/evidence we've posted against his "argument." Somebody should report this thread.
I already did. This kid is just a typical GameFAQs idiot.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I am. And I'm debating each as such.
I can't accuse anyone of the same though. That is what makes this a reasonable debate.
Aside from the needless insults, though.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
What? Not only did Ridley begin as a boss with extra special powers, this was translated as such in Brawl. The devs seem recognize Ridley that way.
It is possible to condense him to a character, but the believability would be ruined.

All the villians were originally bosses

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Toon Link/Link (via Dark/Shadow Link), Zelda (via a possessed Zelda), Ganondorf, (Dark Samus?) Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wolf, kinda sorta all the Pokémon, kinda sorta Captain Falcon, etc. have all been bosses. Who cares if they have "extra boss powers" you ****=???
1. "Believability" isn't a freaking word, it's a lazy term you just invented.
2. Nothing about smash bros is believable. Every character can double jump, and each character can jump at least 30 feet high. When's the last time you saw someone or something jump 30 feet high=???
3. Shut up!!!!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The size argument isn't exactly something you're supposed to seriously argue. You're just supposed to laugh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
> ignores any posts that easily refute statements
>repeats particular things as if they matter
> You mad bro?

Seriously. Who cares WHY somebody gets resized? THEY GOT RESIZED. SIMPLE AS THAT.

Ridley will be fine in Smash Bros. He's been resized before, it can happen for Smash as well.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Like I said, that was one interpretation of Ridley that they went with, but that doesn't mean that they can't recognize him in a different light, and make him playable

Charizard was a Pokeball Pokemon in Melee (which as a role fit him just as much if not even moreso than Ridley being a boss in Brawl did), did that stop him from being playable in Brawl?

"Believeability"? That's subjective for one and I doubt the devs would be too concerned about that

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do you hear the Smashers sing?
Singing the song of angry fans?
It is the music of ol' Ridley
Who won't be a boss again!
When E3 begins to start
Ridley will be there, bet your bums,
Then we'll all embrace and [laugh] and gloat
When tomorrow comes!

Les Riderables, anyone?

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
All the villians were originally bosses
Once again the point I'm making is missed.
I'm not saying Ridley is a poor fit just BECAUSE he's a boss.
It is everything about his character that is represented throughout Metroid and Brawl.
He is depicted as a large, overbearing boss with "cinematic" powers if that makes sense. Like Master Hand or Tabuu, he is not shown as a character that can dynamically fight with the cast at their level.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I love how we each use different personas to smack this guy around like that stupid loud annoying nerd at school! :shades:

(sorry Oasis, was that too literal=???) :chuckle:

Edit: Whatever happened to the Smash 4 mods=???

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey guys! MSG is here! Yay!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Once again the point I'm making is missed.
I'm not saying Ridley is a poor fit just BECAUSE he's a boss.
It is everything about his character that is represented throughout Metroid and Brawl.
He is depicted as a large, overbearing boss with "cinematic" powers if that makes sense. Like Master Hand or Tabuu, he is not shown as a character that can dynamically fight with the cast at their level.
also, there's the fact that sakuri didn't even think of him as a playable character for brawl, but after someone asked him about it, he seemed to somewhat enjoy the idea.

gosh darn, I can't find that quote.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually, I am. And I'm debating each as such.
No you aren't. You've picked out the weakest arguments(Ridley's NES size, Bowser being resized) and responded to them, while ignoring stronger arguments(like Ridley's size in the Melee intro, as well as Olimar and Charizard's resizes).
I can't accuse anyone of the same though. That is what makes this a reasonable debate.
Aside from the needless insults, though.
Yeah, I mean saying that there's no logical reason a character could be in Smash totally isn't a needless insult.

Good lord, I hope that lock comes soon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do I really need to explain this?

Bowser has gotten away with being playable, and yet he's been seen as a gargantuan in a lot of mainstream Mario titles. If someone like Bowser can be made playable, Ridley should be no different.

End of story, and please use the Ridley thread inside the character discussion forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom