• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reviving Ganondorf(Blog Now! Guide to Come!)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sometimes even the greatest villains have a huge downfall, and I have had mine.

I was hit in the head and received a severe concussion, erasing all of my muscle memory and spacial awareness that I need to earn back up. I have taking this opportunity in a positive light, for one can always improve. This puts me in a rather different position where I do know Ganondorf, and Smash in general very well but have a complete skill reset that allows me to go back and see what was wrong. I will post my experiences here in a sort of a blog format, and regularly update it with my experience with play sessions, how I am improving, what happened with that battle, to further improve myself. With the help of you, the community, I can make my Ganondorf better than ever. Not only that, but I can use all of this information to make a guide for the community of not only "How to Play Ganondorf" but also "How to Learn to Play Ganondorf".
Without further ado, let's get started, break the sages seal, and climb to the heavens!
Ok, my neurologist told me I can now play videogames. Starting up, it is as I expected, I cannot space and everything is so clunky. I cannot move fluently as I once did, with fastfalls. To warm up, I started playing a little bit with Level 7 CPU's. I managed to be beaten pretty badly, it is as if my body is lagging instead of the screen. All my shields are a moment to late, and I cannot punish like I used to. After a little bit, things started getting easier. I am connecting and punishing within the air, either using Uair to Gerudo, a shorthop Uair to grounded WizKick, Inspired, I decided to try my hand in For Glory. I first faced a Ness, and I completely got bodied. His Grab combos were something I could not react fast enough, and he completely outspaced me with his projectlies. I truly did feel helpless that first match. The second match, I decided to play a little smarter. I cannot perfect turn cancel comfortably yet, but B-Reversal was completely at my disposal. When Ness went in for a grab, I quickly dashed out to the left, and went for a Gerudo to punish. To my astonishment, it worked. I went for a down tilt to Uair, and they both connected surprisingly. Coming towards the edge I used the Wizkick once again, and it hit. I went for a jump and Fair to finish off the stock, and Ness recieved his punishment. Then, Ness 2-Stocked me using his throws and aerial combos... A good match I think, as it is improvement. I then turned Smash Wii U off excited to see this project. I am improving, even a little bit is a huge step. I then turned on Hyrule Warriors as a reward.
So, today I played with a Smashboards member from the Zelda boards, @ Salad Bowl Salad Bowl . Salad primarily used Zelda and jiggly, and won almost consistently.... Things are starting to get easier however, though I still have a huge struggle. I pulled off some massive strings, one of which was a Double Gerudo string, Dair, and then Fair, which earned me a low percent stock against Jigglypuff. I seem to have a hard time recovering, however. An overwhelming majority of the stocks I lost were SD's, where I was so close to the edge, but didn't make it when chasing him off the stage for a KO. Also, in Lylat cruise I couldn't recover at all for some reason where even when I was close enough, the stage would knock me back and gimping my recovery. It was quite odd. I am also having trouble reading, though Salad got some really awesome reads on me. So I tended to just throw out attack:, but I did get better as I went by. As for positives, I found out some strategies that are very effective in moderation. First is that if you space it correctly, the Gerudo can be near unpublishable to opponents that do not suspect it. If you space the Gerudo, near the ledge, to wear you can fall off, you can immediately punish the roll or airdodge in most cases. It is very similar to the Utility of WKC, and I am surprised no one has been talking about that strategy. Use in moderation however. Other than that, I need to work on hanging back instead of rushing opponents. Afterwards I played some children in For Glory, and two stocked every one. So thank you Salad, it was very awesome you got to play with me.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Getton lozjam, always good to see people being constructive after an incident, rather than whining about it like a lightbringer.

I'll be watching this intently! On that you have my word.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I can imagine that's the absolute hardest part: constantly trying to rearrange your approach and reassess the match as it progresses.

But hey, as those who've learned a new language know, learning from scratch is hardest, but ultimately you know the language better than even native speakers, having had to the opportunity to manually navigate the building blocks. :colorful:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Session 2 Get in Touch With the Triforce of Power
So, today I played with a Smashboards member from the Zelda boards, @ Salad Bowl Salad Bowl . Salad primarily used Zelda and jiggly, and won almost consistently.... Things are starting to get easier however, though I still have a huge struggle. I pulled off some massive strings, one of which was a Double Gerudo string, Dair, and then Fair, which earned me a low percent stock against Jigglypuff. I seem to have a hard time recovering, however. An overwhelming majority of the stocks I lost were SD's, where I was so close to the edge, but didn't make it when chasing him off the stage for a KO. Also, in Lylat cruise I couldn't recover at all for some reason where even when I was close enough, the stage would knock me back and gimping my recovery. It was quite odd. I am also having trouble reading, though Salad got some really awesome reads on me. So I tended to just throw out attack:, but I did get better as I went by. As for positives, I found out some strategies that are very effective in moderation. First is that if you space it correctly, the Gerudo can be near unpublishable to opponents that do not suspect it. If you space the Gerudo, near the ledge, to wear you can fall off, you can immediately punish the roll or airdodge in most cases. It is very similar to the Utility of WKC, and I am surprised no one has been talking about that strategy. Use in moderation however. Other than that, I need to work on hanging back instead of rushing opponents. Afterwards I played some children in For Glory, and two stocked every one. So thank you Salad, it was very awesome you got to play with me. As always, give comments on how you think my Ganondorf can become perfection, it would be greatly appreciated.

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
HAHAHAH yeah lylat is gonna be a stage ban everytime with a Ganon now lol. It's quite easy to get stuck under the stage with almost every recover except for floaties with 5 jumps. Lylat cruise is probably the worst stage for Ganon. I would love to play again soon I had a lot of fun. Also get well soon on the injury.

Top Bottom