• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse IZAC and Alvaternative iBomb

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Ok I've delayed this thread a little bit but I'm letting laziness get over me. I can't be entirely too bothered to make a video to explain this but it shouldn't take much to explain. I wouldn't really consider any of this an AT but more of an exploit of the new Z-drop mechanics we have. Technically reverse iBomb can be an AT. But here's what I've discovered trying to apply it in some matches and an explanation on how to do it.

Reverse IZAC:
Similar to brawl how you could drop the bomb at the peak of your jump and ariel it. Instead you drop the bomb a little bit before you land (not a C4 bomb) and as you land you jump instantly and catch it with an ariel. This is hard to do with a short hop on 3DS but I imagine on Wii U it's 10x more easy. It's also more easy when fast falled.

From higher distances you can fast fall and zair bomb drop. When you land you can reverse IZAC again and if you fell before the bomb you can jump and catch it or insta-throw it. whatever you want. You can kind of do a pseudo Zair > bomb with it by zairing and then insta-throwing the bomb afterwards but the set up is sketchy and tedious. In all seriousness though. This technically is not an IZAC. It's a form of ZAC as this tech is not Instant. So decide on a name Toon mains. I'll give a few options:
  • Reverse ZAC
  • ZAC (Z-drop Ariel Catch)
  • ZJC (Z-drop Jump & Catch)
Or just find a better name if you can I'm kind of rushing this right now lol. Anyway on to the uses.
This can be used for spacing with zair when landing and whilst your zair hitbox is out it will auto cancel as you land and then you can nair space right afterwards. However there is a downside. Whilst the bomb is falling it is EASILY catchable by the opponent as for some reason people can catch our bombs with little to no effort in this game. If they shield the zair they can still grab you but the bomb will most likely trade anyway which is kinda cool.

Alternative iBomb:
I've seen quite a bit of discussion as to the best way to iBomb in this game. We know airdodge bomb drop is useless because it always zairs now and plus airdodge lag is gross in this game. But with our handy new bomb mechanic exploding on opponents and not us we have a somewhat new way around this.

So wat you want to do with it comes to landing (And yes this is mostly only a landing option again because high in the air you're still always going to zair) you will want to be moving away whilst z-dropping away from the opponent. May you be facing them to zair + bomb them or just get a bomb explosion behind you landing is up to you. Both are somewhat safer and allow you to get away landing if you force them to jump or shield the bomb.

Disadvantages do kind of comes with this though. This won't work if opponents are directly below you since they can upsmash you. You want to z-drop before they are underneath you at all. But if you don't then they can easily hit you potentially even grabbing your bomb with an ariel if they decide to punish you in the air.

I will make a video of this in a bit but right now I'm tired as hell. If you guys think this is somewhat useful then do say so and we'll add it to the AT thread but I wouldn't consider it a massive discovery just now...

Anywho, I'm tired as hell lol, g'night have fun testing this.

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
So for alternative iBomb, you essentially Z Drop bombs while your falling to get a safe landing. Do my question is: What are the advantages of this method vs. Throwing bombs under you whole falling?

EDIT: After doing some in game testing, it does seem a lot better since you have both the slow falling bomb and the hitbox from your zair to protect you from getting hit while landing. Much better option.

Also, with all this Zair Bomb Drop talk, ive been trying it with gimping players by Z Dropping near the edge. Needless to say, it works pretty well. You guys should try it, works great on those who like to recover from the side of the stage.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Pretty much! Glad it came to some use. The alternative iBomb is pretty good and if you mix it up with doing a reverse ZAC instead (jumping up to catch the bomb with a nair again) you can space pretty well. You can even Bair the bomb more easily protecting your back rather well + no landing lag.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I don't see this being applicable in the heat of battle. It's still very cool, but it takes way to much prep to get it off. As toon link you should probably stay on the move and with this you would have to sacrifice movement. I'll try it out in some fights tomorrow though against (hopefully) some weaker players that give me a bit more freedom to try it out.

Anywho, nice find and thanks for posting it!

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
So Alt iBomb is pretty useful, like i mentioned, for landing safely and applying pressure on opponents trying to get back on stage.

Unfortunately, i havent really found any uses for Reverse ZAC so far, probably b/c its a bit hard to pull of consistantly and not sure what you do with this

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Reverse ZAC is honestly really difficult to use effectively or even has that much of a use anyway. So I'm not too bothered about it being left in the dust.

I think this alt iBomb method is perfect though. Moving away from opponents and z-dropping is still useful as long as it's somewhat close to the floor.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I've been using Retreating Z drop Zairs after BLC was taken from us. Recently I discovered that you can zair drop the bomb at a certain height from a short hop and then land as the bomb is falling and catch it with a jab. Just one way to preserve our bomb while zairing that I found useful. Hella hard to time at first while preserving some range on the zair though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom