• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse grab

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
Am having a problem with bowser where sometimes when i reverse grab/pivot grab,and i get a forward tilt instead of a grab and this is annoying me because when i go forward then backwards for the pivot grab i dont get a grab it feels random

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
When you get an ftilt it's because you inputted the sequence out of order. Pivot grab requires you to start dashing, press grab and quickly press the opposite direction of your dash. If you input the opposite direction before the grab you'll get an ftilt. What you're really doing in this situation is the same thing people do when they b-reverse specials - inputting what you want and very quickly changing the direction. With some practice this will become consistent.

Dash
Grab
Turn around

In that order.

Last edited:

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
i should practice cause bowsers grab is so good and i didnt know it was the same as b-reverse i though you had to perfect pivot to get a pivot grab or go forward,stop then turn back and grab

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Well, it doesn't require you to input grab first. There's still something like a two or three frame window at the start of a pivot where you can still successfully input a pivot grab. There's an animation quirk where the first few frames of a pivot grab incorporates the first few frames of that character's pivot animation, thus leading people to mistakenly believe you need to input grab after pivot. But the jist of it is, make your grab and pivot inputs as close to each other as you can.

Don't be content just practicing the timing. Perform Pivot grab during an extended run, from foxtrots, from a walk, from an empty jump, and of course the fastest possible where Bowser hardly moves but a step before the grab initiates. The instant pivot grab can reach even further than Bowser's jab, despite Bowser being physically further away from the opponent. But performing inputs too fast will result in a stutter step reversed standing grab. An impressive tech, but not the one we want.

Crystaljiggs

Smash Journeyman
the main problem is that sometimes i end the dash to quickly then reverse into a forward tilt witch was the problem and is a nice way to get reverse ftilt though

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
You just need to practice a lot. Try this exercise.

• Go to the edge with bowser facing offstage.
  • dash backwards and pivot grab so that bowser faces offstage.
  • repeat until you get to the other side of the stage.
  • If you mess up go back to the edge and try again.
You'll find that sometimes you can do it with like 5 pivot grabs and sometimes it takes more. The highest quality pivot grabs will be so small it will seem like you didn't move at all. So you should try to be aiming for like 100 pivot grabs in a row to get you across the stage. Not that I can do it, but that's something I personally strive for when i'm in practice mode.

If you want you can do a similar exercise with pivot ftilt so you get a feel for how they are different. Pivot ftilt is very situational post patch though so i'm not sure how much it's worth practicing.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
You just need to practice a lot. Try this exercise.

• Go to the edge with bowser facing offstage.
  • dash backwards and pivot grab so that bowser faces offstage.
  • repeat until you get to the other side of the stage.
  • If you mess up go back to the edge and try again.
You'll find that sometimes you can do it with like 5 pivot grabs and sometimes it takes more. The highest quality pivot grabs will be so small it will seem like you didn't move at all. So you should try to be aiming for like 100 pivot grabs in a row to get you across the stage. Not that I can do it, but that's something I personally strive for when i'm in practice mode.

If you want you can do a similar exercise with pivot ftilt so you get a feel for how they are different. Pivot ftilt is very situational post patch though so i'm not sure how much it's worth practicing.
Re: pivot attacks, I don't find ftilt all that useful, but I feel like pivot fsmash could have some use. Not from a standing position, but as a mixup when retreating. Unfortunately it has to be done with the A button and that ends up making me stand there charging it longer than I want to. Something for me to practice to avoid that annoyance, perhaps.

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Re: pivot attacks, I don't find ftilt all that useful, but I feel like pivot fsmash could have some use. Not from a standing position, but as a mixup when retreating. Unfortunately it has to be done with the A button and that ends up making me stand there charging it longer than I want to. Something for me to practice to avoid that annoyance, perhaps.
I can pivot fsmash with cstick. Are you using cstick for tilts? Also I agree there a ton of pivot fsmash opportunities that are quite a bit easier than any neutral fsmash read. I don't experiment that much with it though since it still is very committal but i'd like to figure out what kinds of reads I need to get it. It would be so much more hype if it had super armor. Sometimes i'm like "yes i know your going to stand there and jab right at my fsmash range but i still won't do it" I also hate how at perfect range it's just a weak hit :/

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I can pivot fsmash with cstick. Are you using cstick for tilts? Also I agree there a ton of pivot fsmash opportunities that are quite a bit easier than any neutral fsmash read. I don't experiment that much with it though since it still is very committal but i'd like to figure out what kinds of reads I need to get it. It would be so much more hype if it had super armor. Sometimes i'm like "yes i know your going to stand there and jab right at my fsmash range but i still won't do it" I also hate how at perfect range it's just a weak hit :/
Hmm no I use smash c-stick too. Usually I end up doing a dash or some such silly thing with the c-stick. I'll look into this. And yes it's a shame fsmash has no armor + practically no shield pushback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom