• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retreating reverse dash grab

Throwback

Smash Lord
I'm pretty tired so bear with me:

Retreating reverse dash-grab or reverse pivot grab or whatever it's called. It's great. Best use, imo, is when someone short-hops in your direction. Dash away, reverse grab. The problem is that if someone stalls the SH, you get punished.

So, I thought I would compile a list of who it is especially effective against, and who it isn't particularly safe against (which is different to 'useless against').

Characters who have no stall:
Link
Game & Watch (maybe, dair stalls a bit)
Ivysaur (?)
Charizard (?)
Snake (?)

Characters who can't punish or can't punish well after a stall:
Bowser (downB lag)
Yoshi (downB lag)
Pikachu (upB is the stall, doesn't do much damage)
Marth (counter is the stall)
Ike (counter is the stall)
Toon Link

Characters who can punish:
everyone else except...

Characters who can stall to punish easily (and may punish really hard):
Metaknight
Kirby
Jigglypuff
Ness (PK2)
Lucas (PK2)
Fox
DK (does landing lag from sideB end soon enough?)

This list can be used to safely grab in situations where your opponent has used all their jumps, as well.

Feel free to dispute/contribute.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
You're talking about Samus's pivot grab where she's actually dash grabbing on the pivot yes? Because the regular pivot has WAAY too much start and end lag

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Hmm....Great application...
BTW Toon Link can stall with D-Air. After a SH, it keeps him in the air a little longer

Throwback

Smash Lord
Lance: I was actually talking about the regular version. I imagine there would be some spacing issues with a true piviot, which is the whole point of the technique.

Demonic: Thanks for the info about TL I've moved him to the next category.

Top Bottom