• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rest does not kill

ck2399

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! Jiggly user here.

Something weird happened in one of my last matches.

I was racking up a lot of damage on a DK and when he was at around 80%, I landed a rest but it didn't kill him!!!

You can find the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmrEnhgzJLE

Anyone knows what happened? The rest didn't even make that PING sound...

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
He was crouching, so that probably reduced some of the knockback.

And sometimes the PING sound just doesn't happen or cuts short. Not sure why.

ck2399

Smash Rookie
He was crouching, so that probably reduced some of the knockback.

And sometimes the PING sound just doesn't happen or cuts short. Not sure why.
It could be...

So crouching plus DK's weight are what reduced the knockback?

As for the PING sound not appearing, it did happen in the past. Maybe it's just a bug...

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I'd assume that the knockback was reduced because of DK's crouch. In my experiences, rest usually will kill at around 50% reliably, though I don't think any of my opponents have ever crouched.

ck2399

Smash Rookie
In my experiences, rest usually will kill at around 50% reliably, though I don't think any of my opponents have ever crouched.
In my experience too, and 80% is more than enough to get a KO. But it was not the case here : /

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Something I'd like confirmed: Does the act of crouching itself reduce knockback? Or is it simply that to crouch, you MUST be pressing down which means you are guaranteed to DI correctly against a rest?

So is it correct DI or some other factor?

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Something I'd like confirmed: Does the act of crouching itself reduce knockback? Or is it simply that to crouch, you MUST be pressing down which means you are guaranteed to DI correctly against a rest?

So is it correct DI or some other factor?
i dont think you can "DI" rest the way you said. you see, DI only affects the angle, so the only way to influence rest knockback is to hold left or right so the trajectory is more horizontal so you may not get knocked out. just holding down will not do anything

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
i dont think you can "DI" rest the way you said. you see, DI only affects the angle, so the only way to influence rest knockback is to hold left or right so the trajectory is more horizontal so you may not get knocked out. just holding down will not do anything
Huh. I'm a little confused, as I have been told the contrary before. I'll have to look into it, I guess

ck2399

Smash Rookie
Well, I see the consensus is that the crouch reduced the knockback. I'll test this theory on practice and will confirm, thanks a lot guys!

Seems awfully alot like vectoring.

You sure this replay is not outdated?
Nope, it was taken from a match barely two days old.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Well, I see the consensus is that the crouch reduced the knockback. I'll test this theory on practice and will confirm, thanks a lot guys!

Nope, it was taken from a match barely two days old.
To avoid confusion, Desu's comment was directed at the statement that you DI to the side, rather in the opposite direction you are being sent, and not towards DK's ability to live.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Huh. I'm a little confused, as I have been told the contrary before. I'll have to look into it, I guess
That was vectoring. DI can be left or right.

Crouching reduces knockback, that's why crouch-cancelling was (is?) a thing.

Top Bottom