• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resetting from below a platform.

Britex

Smash Apprentice
I think Mario is a character that greatly benefit from jab resets. His jab is really good and he ends up using it a lot, so I guess doing jab resets is a thing that should come naturally to most Mario players. Plus, with his good WD, he can techchase fairly well.

So, I ended up wondering if Mario had ways to reset someone from below a platform; say, Mario U-Throw Fox on one of Yoshi's side platforms and Fox fails to tech. After messing around for a bit, I found a few, and I'd like to hear your thoughts. These are ranked in orders of how good/practical I think they are.

1: Cape reset.

Very easy to land, Cape deals more percent than a jab, and the opponent is still turned when jab reseted, making punishing even easier.

2: Fireball reset.

Yep. Fireball reset. I found this quite hard to land, and Fireballs deals less percent than a Cape, but I think it might work better on Dreamland, since the platform there are bigger. Resetting with Fireballs is something that should be looked into. In fact, I think the whole Fireball game is underdeveloped. Maybe in the dark corner of this B move there's a secret tech that we have not yet uncovered...

3: Dair reset.

It's not that this is bad, but the fact that doing it with the cape is easier kinda invalidate this reset, but I didn't practice much with this one so maybe there's something there.

4: Down-B reset.

Eh. While it does resets, and is pretty easy to land, you won't be able to punish with this. In fact, you might even get punished for it. However, like for Dair, I didn't practice much with this kind of reset.

5: Jumping on the platform and resetting with a jab.

I tried to make this work but with no success, maybe I'm just not quick enough, but I don't think it's doable. Will need other people to try this one.

Thoughts?

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
1. Ive never tried cape resetting. I'll mess with it.
I haven't tried the other 4 except down b reset in which I was just messing around.
What I do when I throw him up is usually double jump waveland down.
Also if he is missing his tech shorthop up air is good too. it clips through the platform and you can hit him with that

a rookie

Smash Ace
Resetting from a platform is definitely tricky. I'd rather prefer covering their options, rather than trying to reset them and getting punished for it. Cuz people usually don't miss their techs on platforms(if they get upsmashed/upthrown/etc.).

Top Bottom